April 18, 2024, 10:31:02 PM

News:

Variable Pressure Clutches

Started by Jim Bronson, May 08, 2019, 06:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Is anyone using one? How do you like it? I've seen two models, one from AIM and another from HD, and the reviews look good in terms of clutch effort and operation.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

tbird

I run em stickily for the reduced clutch pull. Mild build so not needed for clutch hook up. Some say slippage maybe occurring at lower rpm's . The jury might be out on that.

FSG

been using them for years, wouldn't run a bike without one, bought the first few from Hippo then setup an account with AIM

the Orange SE one that HD sells is actually made for them by AIM, so if your wanting one go direct to AIM and bypass the middleman

often at the various Bike Meets AIM has free fitting of various products so look to what's on in your area and if AIM will be there

Jim Bronson

Thanks guys. FSG are you using a stock spring or SE spring? I have a 110 build with about 125 max torque, and I'm using the SE spring that came with the kit.

mrmike

Been running one I also got from Frank (Hippo) as well, when you get jammed up in traffic you'll be glad you have it too.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Jim Bronson

I'm trying to figure out which one is best for my setup. I'm using a SE spring, and I don't want to increase the lever pull force any more than it is now. The SE VPC is only offered in one model, but the AIM version is offered in several models. Sounds like a call to AIM is my next move.

rredneckn2

I'm running aim vp92T with a SE spring in my 110. Holds well. The aim will actually lighten the lever pull you have now.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Jim Bronson

I don't see that one on their site. It looks like a VP028-68IV would work.

FSG

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 08, 2019, 11:28:33 PM
Thanks guys. FSG are you using a stock spring or SE spring? I have a 110 build with about 125 max torque, and I'm using the SE spring that came with the kit.

I'll need to check but pretty sure I'm running the 06 Spring in my Fatty

The only difference between the Screamin' Eagle Variable Pressure Clutch

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/se-variable-pressure-clutch

and the AIM Tamachi VP95

https://aim-tamachi.com/collections/vp-clutch/products/vp95iv?variant=16988586949

is the colour of the weights and the price

AIM provide the VPC to HD, they also provide S&S with a VPC with Blue Weights, also provide a few others, similar to Smith Bros re-branding PRs for whoever wants them.

Deye76

According to 1, they don't work. the parrots who concurred at the time, no longer chime in. For 90,000 miles pushing 130 TQ, mine worked flawlessly. Thanks Hippo, RIP
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

rredneckn2

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 09, 2019, 04:10:53 PM
I don't see that one on their site. It looks like a VP028-68IV would work.
I purchased that 92 in 2011 it was rated for a 124. There stuff works and will reduce lever pull!

rredneckn2

Quote from: Deye76 on May 09, 2019, 04:37:45 PM
According to 1, they don't work. the parrots who concurred at the time, no longer chime in. For 90,000 miles pushing 130 TQ, mine worked flawlessly. Thanks Hippo, RIP
They work well. And hold up extremely well have not seen one come apart. Have used at least a dozen over the years.

Jim Bronson

Good to know. I see several ebay sellers offering deep discounts on similar products, but they aren't made by AIM. That worries me a little.

tbird

I bought both of mine from hippo. When I get a newer bike I always that them out and put in new bike before selling old bike.

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on May 09, 2019, 04:37:45 PM

I think those that said they don't work were focused on slippage at <3k RPMs on the dyno. Heavy bagger, built up engine, <3k rpm, slippage - must be junk. Good grief.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

FSG

the number in the VPC P/N  eg : 62, 83, 87, 92, 95 ...... 

is the measurement in mm (millimeters) of the diameter of the contact ring of the VPC

Jim Bronson

capn

The AIM vpp that reduces lever effort also reduces clutch travel so may be harder to adjust. I us the SE vpp with carbon fiber plates and SE spring. On my 97 flh with 04 clutch I had to space out the derby cover for clearance.

FSG

QuoteThe AIM vpp that reduces lever effort also reduces clutch travel

please explain  :scratch:

capn

Look at how the AIM reduces effort.Where it presses on the spring compared to stock retainer.

Coyote

Pretty sure the AIM can only increase pressure and doesn't effect the throw at all.

les

I'm running the H-D VPC in my 124" (148 lbs torque), and using the SE spring.  Works great.

FSG

Quote from: capn on May 10, 2019, 07:13:56 AM
Look at how the AIM reduces effort.Where it presses on the spring compared to stock retainer.

:up:   it reduces effort has absolutely NO affect on clutch travel

Jim Bronson

Called AIM today. They recommend the VP 84 IV for my build. They said it would result in 20% easier pull, which is fine with me. I completed the swap today, and the lever effort doesn't seem as bad as it was before I installed the Mueller. Probably just my imagination.

Coyote

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 10, 2019, 03:02:25 PM
Called AIM today. They recommend the VP 84 IV for my build. They said it would result in 20% easier pull, which is fine with me. I completed the swap today, and the lever effort doesn't seem as bad as it was before I installed the Mueller. Probably just my imagination.

At idle maybe.