April 18, 2024, 03:55:15 AM

News:

Aftermarket TPMS

Started by Propflux01, May 09, 2019, 03:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propflux01

I've thought about running an aftermarket TPMS for my '09 Ultra. Has anyone used one? Are they worth it? If so, which one would you recommend?
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

92flhtcu

Blu TPMS have been pretty darn bullet proof. To conserve battery life, they shut off after awhile, so they do not turn back on until they hit 12mph roughly
Need a bigger garage

bobrk1

forgive  me  for  asking  but  what  is  a tpms? Haven't  heard  that  term 

Panzer

Tire pressure monitoring system
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Propflux01

Quote from: 92flhtcu on May 09, 2019, 04:38:01 PM
Blu TPMS have been pretty darn bullet proof. To conserve battery life, they shut off after awhile, so they do not turn back on until they hit 12mph roughly

Do they leak air if your using the cap-type? Does your phone go off when the tire is low? I dont keep my phone clamped on the bike, it is always in my pocket.

PoorUB

I have looked for one with sensors in the rim. I am not very fired up about the valve stem cap style.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

92flhtcu

Blu send your phone an alert if the psi drops below what you set it at. It will push an alert to your phone, so if your phone is locked it shows up on your screen.
Phone in your pocket or saddlebag, well, that, kinda makes it moot for when you're rolling
Yes, they also make internal type, I'm not a fan of the valve cap style, but on some low profile tires it is a better choice
Need a bigger garage

Propflux01

Thank you, I will check it out.

moose

I have the Garmin TPMS sensors hooked to my 595 garmin works good
Moose aka Glenn-

Ken R

May 11, 2019, 07:52:38 AM #9 Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:05:25 AM by Ken R
I have 3 years' experience with FOBO BIKE.   Here's my story:

My friends and I purchased a set because one of us experienced a rear tire failure at 75 mph (on US 287 about an hour after leaving Amarillo on our last leg home after 4,000 miles on the road).

He had a brand new tire on the rear, mounted a week before the trip in preparation. The rest of us had almost new tires.    Somewhere during the 4,000 miles, my friend picked up a nail in the rear tire.  The pressure slowly leaked out.  With thick sidewall Dunlop AE tires, you really cannot tell that it's low on air; especially at highway speeds on straight roads. 

He crashed.

We got turned around and went back to the site.  He was mostly uninjured; mainly because of his full protective gear and his training to keep his feet on the floorboards (instead of flailing one's feet on the pavement as it goes by at 70 mph).  Don't know what speed he was traveling when the motor finally put him on the ground.

When I got there and saw that he was mostly OK with only a few bumps and bruises, I walked to where the motorcycle had come to rest.  As I walked up, I could feel the radiant heat from the tire.  It had unseated itself from the bead all the way around.  I touched it . . it was soft.   The tire was almost bald!  Remember, it was brand new 10 days earlier. 
Then I saw it: a nail head was imbedded in the center of the tread area!   
When the tire was dismounted at the local shop, the nail was about 2-1/2" long and had pierced the inner lining of the tire. 

Our big question was:  How long had that nail been there?  We had not checked air pressure every morning before getting back on the highways for 10 days!  Our bad! 
I went through pictures we'd taken during the trip.  In Silverton, Colorado 2 days prior, there it was!  No, not the nail, but the tire that was brand new 2 weeks prior was completely bald in the picture!  Apparently, tire pressure had been leaking out for many miles . . . . and we didn't know it.  It finally gave way approaching Clarendon, Texas.

So we bought FOBO BIKE.  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fobo+bike&crid=82ABVSTGGCDW&sprefix=fobo%2Caps%2C152&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_4

The features are:
1.  It alerts via your phone with loud alarm if significant pressure is lost quickly (like within 5 seconds or so)
2.  If you have a Bluetooth headset connected to your phone, it also alerts in your helmet.  It's hard to miss it.
3.  It also alerts if low pressure a predetermined amount below your desired set pressure.  (and that alert also comes into your Bluetooth headset connected to your phone)
4.  You can check air pressure at any time day and night without moving your motorcycle.  Many TPMS systems turn off until the wheel is rolled.  FOBO is always  looking at tire pressure and the pressures can be called up just before straddling the motor.   
Funny story:  My motor  is in my home workshop.  In the middle of the night, my iPhone by the bed started alerting low pressure.  It woke me up . . . it was my FOBO!  Sure enough, the front tire pressure had hit that low pressure setting and it alerted me even though I wasn't riding.    I learned that I can check my tire pressure from bed!  :emoGroan:

There's a new FOBO BIKE 2 coming out some day.  My original 3 year old FOBO is working great, but I might spring for the "2" just to have their newest and latest technology. 

I won't ride without checking pressure daily.  And I enjoy the comfort of knowing that my tire pressure is being checked continually and I'll be alerted via my Bluetooth headset if it leaks down while riding.  (I don't necessarily need to know at 3AM while sleeping.)

Ken

Ken R

Oh a couple more things:

I've never had leakage from the FOBO sensors. 

And this is important:  Be sure your FOBO sensors don't touch the brake calipers.   A friend installed a set but didn't check.  His rear hit the caliper every rotation of the wheel.  It finally broke the rubber valve stem.  All the air came out.  His FOBO alerted  him, but with a broken valve stem, he was stranded and had to call for a retrieve. 

And this is also important:  For safety and peace of mind,  use metal valve stems with any external TPMS sensor.  (not just FOBO BIKE).  It's probably not an issue with a valve stem that points directly at the wheel axle, but those that are mounted sideways flex with each revolution of the wheel.  TPMS sensors are not heavy, but it doesn't take much weight to flex the stem when rotating at 70 mph. 

And about weight:  I checked wheel balance before and after installation.  There wasn't enough difference to add or remove a 1/4 oz rim weight.

Ken

IronButt70

Quote from: Propflux01 on May 09, 2019, 03:48:50 PM
I've thought about running an aftermarket TPMS for my '09 Ultra. Has anyone used one? Are they worth it? If so, which one would you recommend?
I installed the Blu TPMS system I bought from Calif Phil on my 17 softail and highly recommend them. One thing they recommend is that you replace the rubber valve stems with metal ones. I didn't do this and the rear one failed but it took about 10k miles and the alarms warned me in time. The sensors only weigh about 4 grams but I think the heat from the exhaust and brake rotor are probably the biggest reasons for the fail.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Propflux01

Right now I have a metal 45* one on the rear, standard rubber (straight up) on the front. I had to use a 45* on the rear because there is hardly any room at all to get an air chuck between the ribs on the rim.

Rockout Rocker Products

I've been using the Steelmate valve stem cap system for a couple of years now.... works well.... https://vimeo.com/166755029/68cb67ddca (Ignore the hissing, leaky air hose)

I have stock rubber straight stems, no issues. The caps weigh next to nothing. Only nitpick would be that to save battery life you have to roll a few feet to activate the system... end of my short driveway for example. Kind of a pain if you get that far & find you need air.

I'd like to get an in tire setup but the ones I've seen are pretty large.... I'd be worried about damage  :idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Boe Cole

On my 11RGU, I had the tire shop install a 90 degree metal stem on my rear tire to facilitate checking tire pressure and adding air when necessary.  All was well for a couple thousand miles and then it developed a leak due to centrifugal force resulting in a slow leak.  Did not notice the tire going flat when I started out but it went soft very quickly.   Luckily, I carry a tire pump and was able to get home without problem.  At first, I thought i had picked up a nail/screw,etc but when i touched the valve stem and put a little pressure on it, I heard the air leak.

Bottom line - be careful of bent valve stems as the can develop leaks.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

bobrk1

Does  the cap  one affect  the  tire  balance ?

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: bobrk1 on May 14, 2019, 05:18:48 AM
The cap weight is in grams... I don't think it's an issue. In my case I have Ride-On sealer in both tires anyway, balance isn't a problem.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

IronButt70

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on May 14, 2019, 05:39:09 AM
Quote from: bobrk1 on May 14, 2019, 05:18:48 AM
The cap weight is in grams... I don't think it's an issue. In my case I have Ride-On sealer in both tires anyway, balance isn't a problem.
I just had my rear tire valve stem replaced with a metal one. Even with the TPMS sensor installed it didn't change the tire balance.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.