Using a Twin Tech 4 to make fog lamps stay on in high beam

Started by Ken R, May 10, 2019, 06:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

Hopefully, someone here has had better luck with this function than me.
The instructions are almost non-existent, either online or on the Internet.

I've installed the TwinTech 4 software on my PC, hooked up all the cables, started the software, turned the ignition ON and deciphered which menu is for headlight/foglight installation. 

The TwinTech4 software sees and reads the ECM, no problemo.   I can watch all the gauges on the screen.  So I think that it's hooked up and working properly.

When I go to the BCM  (Body Control Module) and ask the software to "READ", it shows that the Foglights are not installed.   A tiny blurb in the instructions says that means the fog lights will turn OFF when the headlight goes to high beam.  And that's exactly what I want to change.

So I click (check) the "Foglights Installed" box and click "Program".  It says to wait 15 seconds.  I wait. 

Fog lights still turn off when headlight goes to high beam!  No change. 

When I command the BAC to read the settings, the Headlight setting is still not checked. 

I'm positive that I'm doing something wrong . . just haven't a clue what it is. 

Anyone have experience doing this with TwinScan4?

Ken

Scotty

If the website is correct then the first line of this text is what you have missed.
Although to be fair is does say foglights in the features available now but maybe the one coming is the feature you want.

Features Coming soon:

ECM Activate Left Fan
ECM Activate Right Fan
ECM Activate Coolant Pump
ECM Activate ETC Motor
ECM Activate IAC Motor
ECM ACR Enable/Disable
ECM Side Stand Enable/Disable
ECM Chassis Fan Enable/Disable
ECM Oil Fan Enable/Disable
ECM EITMS Enable/Disable
ECM Cruise Control Enable/Disable
ECM Active Intake Enable/Disable
ECM Active Exhaust Enable/Disable
ECM Clear Air Fuel Trims
ECM Engine Idle Speed 2014 to 2016 only.
ECM Calibrate Speedometer

BCM Installed/Not Installed - ABS
BCM Installed/Not Installed - Radio
BCM Installed/Not Installed - Ignition Switch
BCM Installed/Not Installed - Fog Light
BCM Installed/Not Installed - Trike
BCM Installed/Not Installed - Service Mode

SPD Pair Speedometer

All RADIO Settings

Features Available now:

ECM BCM ABS SPD - Read Codes
ECM BCM ABS SPD - Clear Codes

ABS Brake Bleeding
Scopemeter

ECM Real Time Data
ECM Datalogging
ECM AFR Table Analytics
ECM Activate Fuel Pump
ECM Perform Fuel Pump Drain
ECM Read Settings for ACR,EITMS,Cruise,Active Exhaust
ECM Read Current Idle Speed Setting

BCM Disable Security
BCM Enable Security
BCM Read PIN
BCM Program PIN
BCM Read Both Keyfobs
BCM Program Either Keyfob

BCM Head Light Test
BCM Brake Light Test
BCM Activate Left Turn Signal
BCM Activate Right Turn Signal

BCM Read Settings - Ignition Switch Enabled/Disabled
BCM Read Settings - Fog Light Enabled/Disabled
BCM Read Settings - Trike Bank Angle Sensor Enabled/Disabled
BCM Read Settings - ABS Installed/Not Installed
BCM Read Settings - Radio Installed/Not Installed

SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Neutral
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Check Engine
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Oil
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Security
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Water Temp
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - ABS
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Low Fuel
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Cruise Enable
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Cruise Set
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Battery
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - High Beam
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Left Turn
SPD Activate Dash Indicator - Right Turn
SPD Speedometer Sweep Test
SPD Tachometer Sweep Test

Ken R

It appears that you're probably right. 
Their website is just about as un-intuitive as their application.

Scroll to the bottom for features available or not.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/Twin_Scan4.html

On closer examination, it reads that the unit has the availability to READ the setting (on or off).  But apparently not to set it.
When the option is set to enable fog lamps with high beam and the  PROGRAM button is clicked, it reports that it was successfully programmed. 

The website also reads that "All Radio Functions" are available.  However, the application indicates "Radio Settings Coming Soon" on the button. 

Is Daytona a one-man operation?  They've been in business for a long time.  Seems like they could get it together. 

I'll try to contact them Monday. 

jrgreene1968

I've had good luck through there email with customer support. Back when Chris was still alive, I swore I'd never call again. That man may have been sharp , but he was the biggest A hole I've ever talked to.

twincamzz

Quote from: Ken R on May 10, 2019, 06:45:50 PM

When I go to the BCM  (Body Control Module) and ask the software to "READ", it shows that the Foglights are not installed.   A tiny blurb in the instructions says that means the fog lights will turn OFF when the headlight goes to high beam.  And that's exactly what I want to change.

So I click (check) the "Foglights Installed" box and click "Program".  It says to wait 15 seconds.  I wait. 

Fog lights still turn off when headlight goes to high beam!  No change. 

When I command the BAC to read the settings, the Headlight setting is still not checked. 

I'm positive that I'm doing something wrong . . just haven't a clue what it is. 

Anyone have experience doing this with TwinScan4?

Ken

I read and interpreted those instructions same way you did...that it should make fog lights stay on when high beams are on. Dang it...hopefully someone at Daytona Twin Tec can get it to do what you are after.
not all who wander are lost...

Ken R

The crazy thing is that when the button is clicked, I get confirmation that the option has been set!  But actually, nothing is happening.

Seems like a message should come up alerting that it's a future thing when the button is clicked. 

Scotty

I would say they pushed v1.0 of the software out and are probably working on a update. They might even send you a beta copy if you ask nice  :nix:
Nothing unusual for companies to use the general public for testing  :potstir:

markymark

jmorton10

I'm not trying to be a wiseass, but why not just rewire them to stay on?? (that's what I've always done)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

IronButt70

I had my 17 softail at the dealer a while back and I asked the SM to set the passing lamps to stay on while they had the bike hooked up to the DT. He said it can't be done on a softail. Doesn't sound right to me. What should model have to do with it?
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

PoorUB

Quote from: jmorton10 on May 13, 2019, 08:30:28 AM
I'm not trying to be a wiseass, but why not just rewire them to stay on?? (that's what I've always done)

~John

Not as easy on a canbus bike. You can't wire right to the head light as the ECM will see an overload. I suppose  you could bypass all the factory controlls and hack in a switch. I would  rather pay the dealer for 1/2 hour to reprogram them.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!