April 19, 2024, 08:18:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cleaning injectors

Started by Rsw, May 11, 2019, 02:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rsw

Does anyone know of a good shop for cleaning injectors. TIA

Ohio HD

If they can't be cleaned up by adding injection cleaner to the fuel, it's probably cheaper to replace them than pay someone to work on and clean them. Assuming the bike is stock, and wouldn't need a retune.

Rsw

They're  for a x1 Buell that im restoring looks like replacements are about $170 each but maybe you're correct better to just get new and be done

Ohio HD

Well, those are pricey, more so than the Twin Cam injectors. There must be some places that can perform a bench top cleaning of them. But most auto shops clean them on the vehicle.

Rsw

Found some places online prices are around $20 each I think it's worth a try. Better than $170 each

Jim Bronson

Maybe try Seafoam in the gas.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Rsw

It's sat for a while think it's gonna take more than that. But maybe worth a shot

Ohio HD

Quote from: Rsw on May 11, 2019, 03:49:05 PM
Found some places online prices are around $20 each I think it's worth a try. Better than $170 each

Yeah, I agree, that's easier to swallow.   

Sycho01

I know this is not a motorcycle injector for a Buell but I just removed an injector from a Polaris ATV that  sitting for 3 years. The bottom of the injecter showed slight signs of rust. I sprayed it and a soft toothbrush with carb cleaner that was safe for injectors and gently rubbed the rust away. I then sprayed the injector with the carb cleaner to rinse it. I grounded the inector and tried to start the engine and the injector was clean and spraying fine. The engine started up on installtiion.
I hope this helps someone.

rredneckn2

Amsoil quick shot works better than anything I have ever used. At 10/11 dollars a bottle give it a try. Had a bike sitting 4 yrs s&s e on it filled the bowl let it sit 24 hrs little bump to the bowl it lit and ran good. Next 2 tanks with quick shot carb never had to come apart. I use it regularly in all my yard equipment saws n all and my 90 Yamaha on my fishing boat everything runs perfect and sits 3 to 4 months at least.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Ohio HD

This is a little pricey, but is cheaper then buying new. You might find it for less somewhere.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0594

kd

Most of the Harley injector part numbers directly cross over to GM part numbers if you want to save $$$.  Some members have been using them.  I don't know if Buell is the same but worth checking.
KD

98fxstc

I'm surprised No Cents has not chimed in.
He came up with a very nifty setup for cleaning injectors.
Not sure if he posted it in the homemade tools section, but a search should find it.

You don't need a good shop if you can do it yourself.

Rsw

The Buells allegedly are the same as some fords but haven't found what model

No Cents

May 12, 2019, 06:04:41 AM #14 Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:11:05 AM by No Cents
  here is what I made to clean injectors. You would need an injector connector with the wire leads, a tire valve stem (gutted out) and the cap. Drill a hole in the cap big enough to get the straw into it. Silicone the straw in place. Remove the o-ring off the injector and slip the valve stem on to it. Hook your injector connector to the injector and attach the negative lead to a 9V battery. Attach the positive lead to the injector connector and tap the other end to the battery. You should hear the injector click...if it doesn't...it's junk. If you hear a click press the injector cleaner can and tap the positive lead to the battery again and it will spray the cleaner thru the injector. This will cycle the cleaner thru the injector each time you tap the positive lead to the battery. Beware...it will spray the cleaner thru the injector 5- 6 feet outward. I actually lightly clamp the injector in a vise to hold it. If the injector is clogged it will put out a bad spray pattern. A couple of shots of the cleaner thru it and you should see the spray pattern improve as the injector is cleaned.

[attach=0,msg1296583]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

screem

my 2000 Screamin Eagle Roadglide only gets ridden a couple hundred miles once every 6-9 months, i keep a bottle of Satbil in the saddle bag, and when i am headed home from my ride, i stop add a lil Stabil and top off the tank... getting more an more like my dad.... an ounce of prevention, type thing. Back in the day i would just park it and hope for the best.

Ohio HD

Quote from: No Cents on May 12, 2019, 06:04:41 AM
  here is what I made to clean injectors. You would need an injector connector with the wire leads, a tire valve stem (gutted out) and the cap. Drill a hole in the cap big enough to get the straw into it. Silicone the straw in place. Remove the o-ring off the injector and slip the valve stem on to it. Hook your injector connector to the injector and attach the negative lead to a 9V battery. Attach the positive lead to the injector connector and tap the other end to the battery. You should hear the injector click...if it doesn't...it's junk. If you hear a click press the injector cleaner can and tap the positive lead to the battery again and it will spray the cleaner thru the injector. This will cycle the cleaner thru the injector each time you tap the positive lead to the battery. Beware...it will spray the cleaner thru the injector 5- 6 feet outward. I actually lightly clamp the injector in a vise to hold it. If the injector is clogged it will put out a bad spray pattern. A couple of shots of the cleaner thru it and you should see the spray pattern improve as the injector is cleaned.

[attach=0,msg1296583]

That's certainly a more cost effective method than what I posted. It should work pretty good I would think.    :up:

Rsw

Thank you No Cents looks like a good simple way to do it