April 25, 2024, 01:59:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Compression question

Started by Hilly13, May 11, 2019, 11:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilly13

G'day gents, did a compression check on my 110 and would like to hear what those in the know think about whether I would be better off with a different cam.
Engine is a 110 CVO Softail spec.
SE 10.5 Pistons.
SE 58mm TB.
Stock 110 heads.
T-Man 590PS2 cams.
CCP is 198psi front and rear.
10.43:1 static, 9.48:1 corrected.
The locals prefer them to roll over at 190, so I could go about  50° IVC to get that but do I need to? I mean that in as far as will it make it a better set up?
Because the heads are stock I'm at .590 lift so as not to stress the valve train too much which limits cams a bit, I understand I could change the valve springs and use a higher lift cam but would that make it a happier package? Not looking for max effort here, it is what it is but want it to be as good as it can be and reliable with what's there.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers.
Just because its said don't make it so

98fxstc

I don't consider myself one of those in the know
but in my opinion 198 is not too bad.
I would go to 205, maybe 210 if we could get a decent Tuner to do his stuff.
That is the limiting factor
Your DIY tuning will have you comfortable at 198
The other locals would have to be content to roll at 190 or so because they don't have the time or patience to get the tune that you would
If they get a decent dyno operator, he would not be doing much better than you below 80 KPa.

Hilly13

Thanks 98, I trust what you say.
Will get MyTune on my working computer and have another go, if I can't get it with SEPST it will have to be TTS.
Cheers mate, appreciate the reply.

Y2KRKNG

Not sure what your weather's like but I bet you could repeat test on a cold morning and see 190psi. It's a lot like checking your tires.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

speedzter

Do you know the piston dome volume ?

Cranking speed can have an effect on ccp as well. A large (car ! ) battery will spin over quicker.

Hilly13

Don't know on the piston CC's, the battery didn't seem to spin it any faster than normal, maybe the long leads? It did hang in there a bit longer though.