April 23, 2024, 12:01:35 PM

News:

Twin cam speedo swap question

Started by Mac1, May 13, 2019, 09:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac1

I have an 01 softail which had a combo speed and tach fitted which i did not like so swapped with a second hand oem speedo. It works as a speedo but when trying to check for codes the arm does not "sweep" the full clock. I have heard people say that speedos need to be matched to the ecm a bit like tssm/tsm does.

Does anyone know for definate on 01 bikes if that is the case? Also would it matter if a carb model speedo is fitted to efi bike, which is what i think this speedo is. I have even heard it said the ecm stores the millage? Thanks in advance

remington007

Seems to me that checking codes with the speedo started in 2004 with the J1850 system. I have always used the HD scan tool to check codes on that vintage bike.

hattitude

May 20, 2019, 04:32:57 PM #2 Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:40:14 PM by hattitude
Quote from: Mac1 on May 13, 2019, 09:05:32 AM
I have an 01 softail which had a combo speed and tach fitted which i did not like so swapped with a second hand oem speedo. It works as a speedo but when trying to check for codes the arm does not "sweep" the full clock. I have heard people say that speedos need to be matched to the ecm a bit like tssm/tsm does.

Does anyone know for definate on 01 bikes if that is the case? Also would it matter if a carb model speedo is fitted to efi bike, which is what i think this speedo is. I have even heard it said the ecm stores the millage? Thanks in advance

I just swapped out the speedo in an '01 FXSTS (carb) about 8 months ago..... Here is what I found out in that process..

1) As mentioned, no codes show in the speedo.... my '03 EFI bike doesn't show codes in the speedometer either even though I program it with a J1850 tuner connection... so I believe that 2004 was the first year with that set-up....

2) The speedometer stores the mileage, not the ECM... I found a speedo with 300 more miles than my bike had. I bought it and waited for the mileage to match before swapping them out... When I swapped them, I have a TSSM, no matching or syncing was needed. I just unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one.

NOTE: Prior to finding a good speedo with slightly more mileage than on my bike (I have a low mileage bike), I tried to find someone who could change the mileage. I found one vendor who claimed he could do it, but not reliably... so he passed on trying.

3) In 2001, there were only two speedometers offered by the MoCo. for the large tank mounted speedos on Softails (specifically the FXSTS & FXSTSI),  and Road Kings: #67033-99A- Speedometer, MPH and #67197-99A Speedometer, KPH. The same two part numbers are listed for carb and EFI bikes...

What model do have? There were a couple 2001 models with tank mounted gauges, that had different speedo part numbers from above, like the wide glide. The wide glide had 3 part numbers: MPH, KPH, and both MPH/KPH....  But I think all Softails had the above listed two speedo part numbers.  In all the part numbers I searched/found, I don't remember seeing a difference between EFI & Carb for any model...

Hope that helps......

Scotty

Quote from: remington007 on May 13, 2019, 09:44:15 AM
Seems to me that checking codes with the speedo started in 2004 with the J1850 system. I have always used the HD scan tool to check codes on that vintage bike.

:agree: speedo code checking started in 2004 prior to this you used a jumper wire and the indicator lights or buy a dongle to do it on a computer.

kd

I get codes by counting flashes on both of my 98 touring bikes.  :nix:
KD

hattitude

Quote from: kd on May 20, 2019, 06:30:58 PM

I get codes by counting flashes on both of my 98 touring bikes.  :nix:

I believe my 2001 is the same.... when I found out it didn't display the codes in the speedo, I lost interest and I just never played around with it..

FSG

Quote from: Scotty on May 20, 2019, 06:19:07 PM
Quote from: remington007 on May 13, 2019, 09:44:15 AM

:agree: speedo code checking started in 2004 prior to this you used a jumper wire and the indicator lights or buy a dongle to do it on a computer.

and that's what the 04 Tech Forum