April 17, 2024, 10:39:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lifter bleed down

Started by MikeL, May 13, 2019, 12:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeL

2007 ultra 8500 miles now. A while back I purchased Andrews 48 cams and WFO lifters used from a member here on HTT. Low miles on these parts and well marked same lifter same cam lobe. So far have put on about 1000 miles
These cams fit the bill for me marked improvement over the stock cams especially in the engine heat department. I do have 1 little problem. Not all the time. When hot I shut down say to get gas and restart it sounds like 1 lifter is clacking like a new lifter before it's bled out. It goes away after a short time at highway speed It only does it hot cold no problem.
Using S&S quickiee push rods I know I adjusted them correctly. Just wondering if these lifters have  different pump up rate then say S&S which I  mostly use and this could be normal?
I have an oil gauge and it shows normal pressure in all temp and rpm ranges.

MIKE

koko3052

Probably a lifter has some crap in it or it's going south. When hot the oil is so much thinner so that is why you will hear it then, takes a little longer to pump up.

PoorUB

Lifters will bleed down if a valve is open while the engine sits. After all we wait for them to bleed down while adjusting or assembling the valve train. How fast they pump back up is another question. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds of running time, maybe 15 seconds.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

bobrk1

Lol I  bought  same  cam with S&S lifters here  same  thing  happened , readjusted then got  loud  again  went  with  stock  lifters  no problem  with  over  20k on them. S&S isn't  what  it  used  to  be