April 24, 2024, 07:13:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Suspension upgrade for RK?

Started by starrider, May 13, 2019, 11:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrider

May 13, 2019, 11:04:39 PM Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:30:35 PM by starrider
Hi Guys...

On 03 RK... riding the bike at night on the city streets...there a lot on pot hole or rough spots that give the you that jarring hard ride. So what is the rear shock and
front fork upgrade you have made for a bike 2000 -2007 RK?

Presently  have 12.5 progressive spring coil shocks on the back. Front forks still stock... So for a standard...say you were to ride slowly over a 4-5 inch drop of pavement... you might feel that?...Using that as an example as we all had that jarring experience...what shock or front end upgrade have you chose to make the
ride easier?... Thanks in advance...

bump

Ride a rigid frame for a year or two and you will learn to avoid the potholes. Any time you drop the front wheel 4 or 5 inches you will get a jolt no matter what you are riding.

bobrk1

Any  hole will  get  your  attention , but  progressive  cartridge  in forks  would  help.

72fl

4-5" drop, you will feel that  :SM: alot of folks use Ohlin's on the back and some use Air on the front, but again with a 4-5" hole, You're going to feel it, easier and cheaper to drive around it or avoid that route :beer:

rhuff

Quote from: starrider on May 13, 2019, 11:04:39 PM
Hi Guys...

On 03 RK... riding the bike at night on the city streets...there a lot on pot hole or rough spots that give the you that jarring hard ride. So what is the rear shock and
front fork upgrade you have made for a bike 2000 -2007 RK?

Presently  have 12.5 progressive spring coil shocks on the back. Front forks still stock... So for a standard...say you were to ride slowly over a 4-5 inch drop of pavement... you might feel that?...Using that as an example as we all had that jarring experience...what shock or front end upgrade have you chose to make the
ride easier?... Thanks in advance...

I have sat on the sidelines with my front suspension on my 03 RKC for years due to cost and it's now my second bike. 

If it were me:  CCE triple forks and ohlins cartridge kit or traxxion dynamics cartridge.  That's about 3 grand though. 

I suppose you can get by with just a cartridge kit. 

biggzed

13" Pro-Action shocks and either Legend or Progressive drop in cartridge kits (stock height). That's going to be about as good as you can do.

Zach

starrider

Thanks Guys for all the tips and suggestions ...! :wink:

koko3052

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

72fl

Quote from: Hossamania on May 15, 2019, 04:58:24 AM
Quote from: koko3052 on May 14, 2019, 09:58:21 PM
Trade for a Beemer!

I wanted to say it, but held back...

Now that's Funny "Potty mouth" right there, :hyst: Hoss holding back. :wink:

Hossamania

Quote from: 72fl on May 15, 2019, 05:13:15 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on May 15, 2019, 04:58:24 AM
Quote from: koko3052 on May 14, 2019, 09:58:21 PM
Trade for a Beemer!

I wanted to say it, but held back...

Now that's Funny "Potty mouth" right there, :hyst: Hoss holding back. :wink:

I'm trying to mature. I usually fail at it.

JW113

Say it like it is, even though the truth hurts!

I have been on the quest to address this very thing for years, and basically have come to the same conclusion: get a BMW, or just shut up about it. The fundamental problem is the lack suspension travel on a big heavy bike. I've done the Ohlins thing, not much improvement. Anything you do to make the bike "handle better" really just makes the suspension stiffer, and slows down the rate of travel. Both translate to transfering shock events from the wheel to the frame, and not let the springs soak it up. It's taken me years to finally realize why those big old Cadillacs floated down the highway like a boat, but of course did not find their way on to race tracks...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

I can't speak to them personally, but the owner of the independent shop that I use swears by the Legends Revo shocks, so much so, that he is getting the Revo cartridges for the front forks as well.
I waffle back and forth between getting the Revos or the Ohlins.
Or, a new amp and speakers. Tough call.

koko3052

Quote from: Hossamania on May 15, 2019, 11:30:55 AM
I can't speak to them personally, but the owner of the independent shop that I use swears by the Legends Revo shocks, so much so, that he is getting the Revo cartridges for the front forks as well.

Do you think the new amp & speakers will smooth out the ride if turned loud enough? :wink: :SM:

boooby1744

I still have my Infinity RSb speakers from 1985...and new shocks.

Deye76

If you want 6" of travel get a dirt bike. All I ever hear is travel, travel. There's more to it, also pre-load, damping & spring rates, blah blah. People want to turn a garbage barge into a Moto GP bike but also want it to ride like the recliner in their living room. They spend a thousand bucks or more for shocks, supposedly built just for them, and are sadly disappointed. Thousand dollar shocks won't make 1000 miles of Michigan roads feel good, and then tackle the Dragon. Not gonna happen. Shocks are like tires, oil and mufflers, everyone has the best, on their bike. Rant over.   
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

jrgreene1968

I'm in the same boat on my softail(Fatboy) rides like a lumber wagon . Put the progressive 422 shocks on, but that didn't help much. Been thinking about a shotgun air suspension, but everytime I get close to hitting the buy button, I read a negative thread on them

92flhtcu

Suspension threads are usually lacking in enough info for any of us to offer good advice
Weight Load
Inseam challenged
I want it low but ride awesome
Etc
Lets face it, nearly any well known suspension manufacturer's products will improve a stock suspension, IF the correct products are chosen and set up properly
Need a bigger garage

PoorUB

Quote from: Deye76 on May 15, 2019, 04:48:53 PM
If you want 6" of travel get a dirt bike. All I ever hear is travel, travel. There's more to it, also pre-load, damping & spring rates, blah blah. People want to turn a garbage barge into a Moto GP bike but also want it to ride like the recliner in their living room. They spend a thousand bucks or more for shocks, supposedly built just for them, and are sadly disappointed. Thousand dollar shocks won't make 1000 miles of Michigan roads feel good, and then tackle the Dragon. Not gonna happen. Shocks are like tires, oil and mufflers, everyone has the best, on their bike. Rant over.   

Rant all you want, but another couple inches of travel, plus decent shocks would make a major difference on a bagger. Hard to do much with three inches of total travel. If BMW and Honda can build smooth riding bagger there is no reason HD can't, other than they refuse too.

I don't expect a 900 pound motorcycle to roll through corners like a sport bike, or run a  1/4 mile in ten seconds, but it would be nice to handle a gentle dip in the road without crushing your spine or launching you off the seat, and cruise interstate speeds effortlessly.

I can hit dips in the road with my BMW and actually feel the shocks compress, then extend. With the Harley it is just a bang at the bottom of the dip when the shocks instantly bottom and anther bang when the shocks instantly extend completely. Obviously little or no compression and rebound damping.

I am about ready to toss $1K into some shocks.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Quote from: koko3052 on May 15, 2019, 02:38:16 PM

Do you think the new amp & speakers will smooth out the ride if turned loud enough? :wink: :SM:

They can't hurt! Good, loud, Zeppelin forgives a lot of sins.

rhuff

Quote from: Deye76 on May 15, 2019, 04:48:53 PM

"Potty mouth", you want 6 inches of travel, buy a BMW or even a Victory.  Harley is embarrassingly short.  Dirt Bikes have 10-12"

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Hossamania on May 15, 2019, 08:24:34 PM
Road or Led?
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Hossamania

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 15, 2019, 10:03:50 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on May 15, 2019, 08:24:34 PM
Road or Led?

Haven't tried a Road, but I've certainly test driven a LOT of Led!

Deye76

"I am about ready to toss $1K into some shocks."

Hope they work out and have another couple inches of travel. A $1000.00 worth? I don't know about that. I have 2 baggers, after trying different adjustments, OE not too bad for me. Wife and I have traveled 30,000 miles of Interstates on them, no major complaints. Maybe it's my seat. I agree the OE could have better rebound dampening. What's the travel on your BMW shocks?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

booker49

do you use a stock seat? i have a 2000 rk . using a mustang touring seat made all the difference. the shocks wore out, i replaced them with new  2002 harley shocks. i had read they were up graded that year, and are much better. with 121,000 miles on the bike, i can ride all day (i'm 70 ).