April 25, 2024, 02:08:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cruise control wont engage

Started by IvyMan69, May 16, 2019, 05:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvyMan69

Cruise will not engage. Brake lights not on, disconnected roll off switch still will not engage. Went to test as in step one and the green on light comes on for an instant then off when in set position. When moved to resume the red never changes to green. Bad switch? Control module makes noise with both tests. Bike is my 2006 Ultra.

kd

Sounds like a breaker kicking off.
KD

Coyote

Pull the codes to find out why it's shutting off.

rigidthumper

To test the set/resume switch. Key off, pull the maxi fuse. Then remove the outer fairing, and unplug the connector coming from the right hand switch pack.
Obtain an ohm meter, set dial to resistance (Ω) holds the leads together, and remember that reading- that is a dead short, or "continuity", at that moment on that meter. Any readings that are supposed to be "continuity" should be the same or very close ( within a tenth or two). separate the meter leads, and remember that reading- that is an 'open", or infinite (∞)resistance (Ω)and any readings that are suppose to be "open" will be the same.
Using that ohm meter, and probing the pins on the connector leading to the right hand switch pack, verify that there is continuity (dead short) between the orange/white and the blue/black wire when the switch is pushed to the set position, and open (infinite resistance-∞) when released or in the resume position. To check the resume side, probe the orange/white wire and the white/blue wire, and there should be continuity when held in the resume position, and open when released or in the set position.
If there isn't a clear short with switch pressed, and a clear open when switch released, the switch is bad.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

remington007

Try unhooking the roll off switch in the return cable. 2 connectors right front of gas tank.

Paniolo

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 16, 2019, 06:31:56 AM
If there isn't a clear short with switch pressed, and a clear open when switch released, the switch is bad.

Which switch, the rocker on the lower fairing, or the one in the right switch housing?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

IvyMan69

I pulled the fairing and the set / resume switch checkes ok. Normally open and closed on both set and resume when pushed.
Tried the roll off switch before still did not work. Cruise unit makes noise but will not hold in, Any more ideas?
l make

PoorUB

How many miles? Bad wires in the steering neck? :idunno:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

IvyMan69

The bike has 95000 miles but still runs great and I am going to be 71 soon so can't buying a different bike. The cruise module tries to initialize but wont lock in so I would assume that it is something internal to that unit that is bad. I think if it will not lock in on step one than the rest of the test will not work.

Coyote

Did you check codes and run diagnostics?

IvyMan69

No codes listed on the speedo read out and when trying to so the cruise code readout only get to step one and the cruise light turns on amber then flashes green for a fraction of a second then turns back to amber. The cruise unit does not hold in.

crazy joe

I think I had the same problem a few years back on my 03..... found some damaged wires at the
steering neck, right side. I had also replaced the brake light switch during the trouble shooting because it was cheap.

brent

had to replace my module on 2007 ultra had to buy  used  Harley quit making them for older models

Paniolo

Quote from: brent on May 17, 2019, 09:38:52 AM
had to replace my module on 2007 ultra had to buy  used  Harley quit making them for older models

Is that the module under the left side cover above the fuse box?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

brent

IvyMan69

I ran copies of the test procedure from my manual. Got to the last part where it said reconnect cable to module and repeat step one. If it does not work replace module.   :cry:

Admiral Akbar

If you have the mechanical ability to disassemble the unit, I suspect that you'll find a small metal plate under the engagement solenoid with a worn out clip that holds it in place.  The plate is the part of the solenoid that  connects the stepper motor to the ribbon spindle gear.

I don't have a picture of the part but you have to remove pretty everything.. The plate is under the coil with the black plastic terminals.(solenoid, the white coil is the stepper motor. ) Once out you will see one little brass / copper piece of sheet metal bent in the form of a hook and the other piece sitting in the bottom someplace.   It's possible to  use piece of sheet brass or even steel to fabricate a new piece and simply soldier it to the plate.  Reassemble and it should start working. I was able to do this on an 02 cruise control.

You should check the coils and make sure they are good. Don't remember the resistance but there should be some continuity and not shorts to ground. They should be tight on their spindles.  You can put 12V across the engagement solenoid and see the gears mesh.

The ribbon spool return spring need to be wound correctly and there is a small part under the lower bracket that you can lose. 

[attach=0]

IvyMan69

Thanks for the heads up on the repair. I have a used one on order and it should be here in a few days. New are not available from Harley anymore. Will check it out when I get the used one on and see if I can repair it for a spare.

IvyMan69

Its been cold and raining here so I removed the module and found the same problem you described. made a new hook and attached it to the remaining stub. Installed and no joy. In the test procedure when with the set button held closed the light turns green for a second then goes back to red. I think my problem is in the circuit board. Thanks for the info though.

IvyMan69

Used part arrived yesterday and installed it. Cruise works great now. As these old units become scarce I did find some units from 2000 plus Pontiac vans that had the same delphi number but don't know if they will interchange. Look the same and have the same inputs listed in the specs. Thanks for the help.