April 24, 2024, 12:25:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New HD heavy duty 80w 140 synthetic gear oil

Started by Slider1950, May 17, 2019, 02:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slider1950

kd

Interesting.  I knew they had it but hadn't read their recommendations til now.   It appears it is now their recommended syn chain case lube.  I wonder if Formula One is going away?
KD

Norton Commando

Quote from: 98fxstc on May 17, 2019, 05:44:31 PM

check reply #4 in particular, from Maddo Snr

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=108075.msg1286771#msg1286771

Maddo Snr's response relates to putting 80W 140 synthetic gear oil in the primary, not the transmission.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

kd

Quote from: Norton Commando on May 18, 2019, 06:33:34 AM

Maddo Snr's response relates to putting 80W 140 synthetic gear oil in the primary, not the transmission.

I believe 98's post was in response to my statement in reply #1 that Harley is recommending it for primary use as well as gear box.
KD

Rusticwater

I don't understand how any "gear oil" could be used in the primary under cold "extreme temperature environments."
Support the Maine lobster industry

Ancient

$19.95 a quart on the moco site. I don't know what dealers are charging for it. No thanks.

Isn't it a bit ironic that this product advertised as a use in tranny and primary lube, pops up shortly after all the transfer issues do?
Greg

Don D

75W-90 gear oil is about the same viscosity as 10W-40 engine oil. You do not want a high viscosity oil in the primary.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Ancient on May 18, 2019, 07:04:58 AM
$19.95 a quart on the moco site. I don't know what dealers are charging for it. No thanks.

Isn't it a bit ironic that this product advertised as a use in tranny and primary lube, pops up shortly after all the transfer issues do?

Yeah, I thought about the same. Maybe the long range plan is to put a tube between the two and just keep one oil level......     If they used the right lubricant, that could do that.

I've been using Bel-Ray gear saver 75wt for years in the primary of my two bikes. Works great, clutch loves it. HD transmissions have lived running 20w50 synthetic oil, so they don't really need super heavy weight lube. Although motor oil isn't the best solution.

Don D

An oil about the same viscosity as motor oil with hypoid additives is fine however. Not a shockproof heavy fan

No Cents

just me thinking out loud here.
In my opinion the transmission has gears meshing in it, and the primary that has clutch disks in it, each need a specific lube for each job their doing.
   I've ran Spectro 85W in my primary with great clutch engagement, and I've ran Lucas synthetic 75w140 gear oil in my tranny for years...with excellent results.
   The new Harley 80w140 lube might be an option for the tranny...but I would have a hard time putting it in the primary. I'd want a product more specific for it.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Don D

May 18, 2019, 08:50:16 AM #11 Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:55:51 AM by HD Street Performance
Agreed but a light hypoid can do great in both. One without posi additives.
Here is one multipurpose oil that will work in both.
Maybe that is Harleys fix on the M8, shared sump?
https://www.schaefferoil.com/primary-lube.html

Norton Commando

Quote from: kd on May 18, 2019, 06:36:39 AM
Quote from: Norton Commando on May 18, 2019, 06:33:34 AM

I believe 98's post was in response to my statement in reply #1 that Harley is recommending it for primary use as well as gear box.

Oops, you're correct, my mistake.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Moparnut72

Harley's description of this lubricant states that the viscosity is lower at cold temperatures and higher at operating temp. Sounds good but I would be hesitant to put it in my bike even though I wouldn't mind getting it a bit quieter. I am afraid it might mess up clutch function.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

smoserx1

Don't Sportsters use the same oil for primary and transmission?

Slider1950

May 18, 2019, 06:23:26 PM #15 Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:47:59 PM by Slider1950
Well my thinking is to use the new HD 80w 140 in my M8 trans and continue to use Formula+ in the primary. That way if I ever get trans to primary migration I know the new HD gear oil won't adversely affect my clutch. At least that is my thinking as of now.

Moparnut72

If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Hilly13

Just because its said don't make it so

smoserx1

QuoteInteresting.  I knew they had it but hadn't read their recommendations til now.   It appears it is now their recommended syn chain case lube.  I wonder if Formula One is going away?

Here might be an answer to that:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/quart---formula--transmission-and-primary-chaincase-lubricant

Might go see if I can find some locally.  I am not paying 20 dollars a quart for anything unless I can leave it in for life.

Hossamania

I think I paid $18 for Spectro tranny gear lube. They are not giving any of that stuff away anymore.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

May 19, 2019, 06:41:48 AM #20 Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:48:22 AM by kd
All of the syn gear oils are priced high and at similar levels.   :nix:
KD

kd

Quote from: Slider1950 on May 18, 2019, 06:23:26 PM
Well my thinking is to use the new HD 80w 140 in my M8 trans and continue to use Formula+ in the primary. That way if I ever get trans to primary migration I know the new HD gear oil won't adversely affect my clutch. At least that is my thinking as of now.

See reply #18.  It looks like Formula Qne is being discontinued and the MOCO is discounting stock to get rid of it.
KD

rigidthumper

$20 a year for trans lube isn't horrible.
Some guys spend that in an hour, drinkin...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HarleyHiwayMan

I had local dealer do the 1000 mile on my new limited just last Tuesday, a week ago. I told service adviser SYN3 in primary and engine and the new 80/140 gear in the tranny. The service person did not know of it! I went up front got a quart and handed it to him, told him 'here it is and it's what I want in my tranny'.
Seems fine, I have ridden a thousand miles. So now I can (or likely not) buy Harley transmission oil.
I've use Mobil 1 20/50 in all 3 holes for years now. I change primary (dirtiest oil case on our bike) and engine at 4000 miles, tranny at 20,000 or so.
Flatland Charley, Lazy Photographer
Ride with an attitude!!

Dan89flstc

Quote from: kd on May 19, 2019, 06:41:48 AM
All of the syn gear oils are priced high and at similar levels.   :nix:

If you look at syn gear lubes in local auto parts store, you will find that  75w90 is about half the price of 75w140, same brand.

Anybody here wearing out gears by using 75w90?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic