April 24, 2024, 04:19:17 AM

News:

New HD heavy duty 80w 140 synthetic gear oil

Started by Slider1950, May 17, 2019, 02:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdrglide

I've been using mobile1 75w-90LS syn in several 5sp transmissions for years. More than a couple hundred thousand miles with no issues. Not going to go to a dealer to buy lubricants
However, would never put that in the transfer case. For that I like Bel-Ray gear saver. Either 75w or 80w. Whatever is available. Haven't noticed any difference

FSG

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 19, 2019, 06:47:07 AM
$20 a year for trans lube isn't horrible.
Some guys spend that in an hour, drinkin...

slow drinkers   :SM:

rbabos

Quote from: Dan89flstc on May 19, 2019, 06:53:50 AM
Quote from: kd on May 19, 2019, 06:41:48 AM
All of the syn gear oils are priced high and at similar levels.   :nix:

If you look at syn gear lubes in local auto parts store, you will find that  75w90 is about half the price of 75w140, same brand.

Anybody here wearing out gears by using 75w90?
If they are, it's not the oil. :wink:
Ron

Bigs

I run 75w-140 Walmart full synthetic for $11.25 + tax. Works great for me on my '17 RK.
   Bigs

Bagger

What does Harley recommend for primary now that Formula Plus May be discontinued.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Bagger on May 20, 2019, 05:38:01 AM
What does Harley recommend for primary now that Formula Plus May be discontinued.

Who says it is being discontinued??
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Scooterfish

Quote from: Dan89flstc on May 19, 2019, 06:53:50 AM
Quote from: kd on May 19, 2019, 06:41:48 AM
All of the syn gear oils are priced high and at similar levels.   :nix:

If you look at syn gear lubes in local auto parts store, you will find that  75w90 is about half the price of 75w140, same brand.

Anybody here wearing out gears by using 75w90?

Nope, run the 75/90 in a 2005 5 speed. Riding temps here in northern Indiana normally 50- 85 degrees outdoors. I don`t see a need for the 75/140 at twice the cost. Run 10/ 40 motorcycle oil for wet clutches in the primary.
Northern Indiana

02roadcling

02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

hattitude

I used to use Valvoline SynPower full synthetic gear oil 75w-90 for $10/quart at the local auto parts place...

Their 75W-140 is $12/quart delivered from Amazon...

boooby1744

I was staying up nights wondering if I should use 90 or 140. I went with 75-110 amsoil.

tdrglide

smoserx1

OK I have never had to think much about it till now.  For you folks that don't use Harley branded oils in the trans and primary, use a GL-5 gear lube in the transmission and an oil in the primary that does not say "resource" or "energy" conserving on that little round symbol on the container?  I am thinking those are the ones with the friction modifiers that can make the clutch slip?  Thanks in advance.

Phu Cat

May 22, 2019, 02:22:38 PM #37 Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 02:29:09 PM by Phu Cat
Harleyhighwayman you're not doing yourself any favors using engine oil in the tranny.  Gears put a lot more stress called "shear" on oil than rings do.  You can get away with what you are doing for a while but you'll pay the price.

To those that want to run synthetic oil in their tranny, trannys usually don't get hot enough to benefit from the high heat tolerance of synthetic oil.  Is there something else I'm missing?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

No Cents

some of the benefits a good synthetic gear oil will give you in the tranny.

[attach=0,msg1298645]

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Moparnut72

I'll stick with BelRay VTwin Transmission Lube. Works well for me, smooth shifts and less clunking.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Hilly13

The oil cost thing cracks me up, a steak sandwich can cost more and it goes down the waste shute way quicker than you dump the oil, it's not a factor in my book anyway.
Just because its said don't make it so

sandrooney

I agree. In the whole scheme of things oil it cheapest thing you will ever buy for your bike. Hell 2 or 3 tanks of gas can cost as much as an oil change, if you do it yourself.
Patience is such a waste of time .

smoserx1

QuoteThe oil cost thing cracks me up, a steak sandwich can cost more and it goes down the waste shute way quicker than you dump the oil, it's not a factor in my book anyway.

I'll take a bite at this since I was the one who said I would not pay $20 a quart for gear oil earlier in this thread.  I have a very old FLHT with 208000 miles on the clock.  The transmission has never been apart.  I have had to replace a clutch hub once but its failure point was metal fatigue, not oil.  I have always used Harley branded lubricants in these 2 areas (formula + and the products that preceded it), and these products were always reasonably priced.  Now it appears this lubricant MAY be discontinued and replaced with something that costs twice as much.  It is not that I can't afford it, I certainly can.  I just WON'T pay it, especially if I can get a similar product for about 60% of that price.  That's the rebel in me.

For years I have been using Mobil 1 15W50 in the engine.  I just bought a 5 quart jug for $22.83.  That is about half the cost of the v-twin stuff (and about 1/3 the cost of syn3 or amsoil).  I am not planning to buy another bike (never say never) but at the rate this one is going it seems I am going to wear out before it does.  So how much better do lubricants need to be than what I use???

Hossamania

About 15 years ago, an acquaintance asked if there was cheaper oil available, he didn't like paying almost $5 a quart for Harley oil. I told him about Rotella diesel oil, almost $4 a quart. He was very happy. He changed oil once a year. Saved himself a whole $4.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

I also agree, the Formula+ worked just fine, no need to double the price for a "better" product.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tomcat64

These threads are funny! All this discussion over oil, meanwhile, here at the dealership we see damn near every brand of oil, and with the exception of (possibly) one, we never see oil related failures. a few years ago our service manager sent oil samples in to Blackstone over the winter, HD oil, mobile one, redline, Klotz and several more,, all tested great, all had lots of life left in them, I mean really, think about this we all change oil way sooner than needed.. BTW, I am not going to mention the oil in question as that will start another "Potty mouth" storm here..  :smile:

PoorUB

Yup, Tomcat you are correct on the oil changes.

Over the years I have sent in a few samples from my Harley to Blackstone, they all had over 7,500 miles on them. Every time Blackstone told me to run it another 2,000 miles and send in a sample as the oil was in great condition. Of course I changed to oil at that time. It kills me the guys running synthetic and changing every 2,500 miles!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: tomcat64 on May 23, 2019, 06:09:25 AM
These threads are funny! All this discussion over oil, meanwhile, here at the dealership we see damn near every brand of oil, and with the exception of (possibly) one, we never see oil related failures. a few years ago our service manager sent oil samples in to Blackstone over the winter, HD oil, mobile one, redline, Klotz and several more,, all tested great, all had lots of life left in them, I mean really, think about this we all change oil way sooner than needed.. BTW, I am not going to mention the oil in question as that will start another "Potty mouth" storm here..  :smile:

Did it rhyme with Sickly Wally?
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

98fxstc

Lubricants are an individual thing
some spend a lot of time and money to get the best out of their engine
and buy their oil accordingly