April 15, 2024, 09:57:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Overfill primary

Started by tbird, May 18, 2019, 10:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbird

I have a 07 ultra with 24,000 on the clock. No problems as of yet with the compensator. I read on a previous post where the owner of a 07 is running 8 oz extra in the primary for extra lubing of the comp. Any reason not to do this? Can any harm happen by doing this? Oil is cheap!

koko3052

I think that you may have "clutch drag" and then shifting issues.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: koko3052 on May 18, 2019, 11:32:40 AM
I think that you may have "clutch drag" and then shifting issues.
I've read that too, but I have no experience. You could give it a try and have a turkey baster handy.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Boe Cole

I've found that if you overfill the primary shifting becomes difficult and you end up with clutch drag.  Best to stop filling when the fluid touches the clutch plates.  I go by visual versus ounces.  when the fluid touches the bottom of the clutch plate, I stop filling.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

fleetmechanic

Quote from: Boe Cole on May 18, 2019, 06:10:56 PM
I've found that if you overfill the primary shifting becomes difficult and you end up with clutch drag.  Best to stop filling when the fluid touches the clutch plates.  I go by visual versus ounces.  when the fluid touches the bottom of the clutch plate, I stop filling.
:agree:
If the fluid is any higher than the edge of the plates, the oil tends to get between the plates and cause sticking through surface tension.

Phu Cat

When I first started riding bikes I always liked to 'improve' on the manufacturers instructions.  After more than 50 years in the saddle (I'm 70) I've learned the manufacturer puts a great deal of research into their recommendations.  I'm sure improvements can be made, but when the manufacturers says to use 'this much' oil, it's usually for a good reason.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Boe Cole on May 18, 2019, 06:10:56 PM

:up:  Yep, agree.

Justpassingas

Last summer my 09 SG with 89K and original compensator had a mainshaft seal that was leaking motor oil into primary filling the primary...when I removed the derby cover oil would come out...Finding neutral at a dead stop was nearly impossible but much easier while rolling to a stop and shifted hard at times...from my experience I'd go with recommended level...Seal was replaced over the winter and now back to normal
For Duty and Humanity

MikeL

I'm the guy with the 2007 Ultra classic. Yes I over filled the primary 8 oz. I have no clutch drag at all. This bike has been a daily runner due to my truck in the shop. I did install the Twin Power Manuel primary chain adjuster Thanks California Phil and being an Amsoil dealer I'm using their Torque Drive ATF
I do not do this with my 124 RKC which has a rivera pro clutch I actually have to run it lower due to drag. When I get back to NJ going to set up that Mueller clutch hardware.
I have logged over 1000 miles on the 2007 Ultra. I have experienced no "clutch" dragging, no leakage, no extra heat , no slippage.
Just smooth reliable shifts and the piece of mind that the compensater is bathed in oil sitting level when stopped and most likely seeing oil at highway speeds.
This worked out well for me.......

MIKE

koko3052

Torque Drive ATF...is the only thing that will work with my clutch! :up:

rbabos

Quote from: tbird on May 18, 2019, 10:58:47 AM
I have a 07 ultra with 24,000 on the clock. No problems as of yet with the compensator. I read on a previous post where the owner of a 07 is running 8 oz extra in the primary for extra lubing of the comp. Any reason not to do this? Can any harm happen by doing this? Oil is cheap!
Not sure why anyone would bother trying to save the 07 comp. It's pretty useless as far as function goes, not to mention that hideous bang on startups.
Ron

MikeL

Quote from: rbabos on May 20, 2019, 07:57:03 AM
Not sure why anyone would bother trying to save the 07 comp. It's pretty useless as far as function goes, not to mention that hideous bang on startups.
Ron
Maybe some want to save money and try to make a go of what they have.
If this works for me maybe give it a try bet it works for you too.

rbabos

Quote from: MIKEL on May 20, 2019, 09:35:57 AM
Quote from: rbabos on May 20, 2019, 07:57:03 AM
Ron
Maybe some want to save money and try to make a go of what they have.
If this works for me maybe give it a try bet it works for you too.
Didn't work for me. I couldn't rip that pos off fast enough for no other reason to get rid of the 5th gear clatter in my 07 softail. The SE version solved that but as for oil, there's a whole long story to that. Old history now. Saving money and owning a Harley can't be used in the same sentence. :hyst:
Ron

Ironheadmike

The lube is primarily for the chain . The clutch should be barely in the oil .

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Ironheadmike on May 21, 2019, 08:02:41 AM
The lube is primarily for the chain . The clutch should be barely in the oil .

It`s also for the compensator on the 6 speed bikes...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

JW113

OK I know this is an old thread, but I did a search and this was the most relevant. So here goes.

I put a Late Evo/TC clutch in my '92 softail. Not knowing any different, I dumped a full quart of Type F ATF in the primary. At first, everything was great, shift like butter, snick into gear from neutral no noise, and easily find neutral whether moving or not. But things started going down hill, going into gear from neutral would make a loud crunch and the bike would shake, shifting would "grind a little" between gears, and forget neutral at a dead stop. A couple weeks ago, noticed it wanted to creep in gear at a stop. OK, classic symptoms of dragging clutch, but why?

I drained the primary oil, looked quite normal. I readjusted the clutch at both the release disk and the cable. The other thing on my mind, was there perhaps too much oil in it? I surfed a bit, and found that in '98 and later softails, the primary only takes ~26oz of fluid. And I had put 32oz in. OK,that HAS to be the problem. Right?

Not! When I refilled the oil, I used a flashlight and very, very carefully only filled it until I could see the oil level right at the edge of the clutch shell. Which was about 23oz. After a little test ride, it didn't really seem to function much differently. Same grind into gear, same difficultly into neutral, same clunkyness between shifts. WTH??? I put maybe 100 or more miles on it to see if time/miles would improve the clutch drag. Nope.

When I installed the late model clutch, I put in new Alta "red" friction disks and stock HD steel plates. So even though I overfilled the primary fluid, do you think that with the clutch plates getting soaked in oil, they are now saturated and ruined?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ohio HD

June 22, 2020, 06:22:22 PM #16 Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:25:01 PM by Ohio HD
They could be saturated, but I doubt ruined. I have pulled them out and used brake clean on them. Let them dry overnight and try again.

How many miles, or how long before you saw the grabby clutch issue? I ask because when I have done that in the past, usually within 50 to 75 or so miles it started acting up.

JW113

Yeah, for me maybe closer to 100 and change. This was a few months ago, what with the Covid and all have not been putting the miles on it for commute to work, and I ain't much of a "joy rider" anymore. I'll pull the primary and try cleaning the plates, thanks.

-JW

cheech

JW, was there more than normal play that developed at the lever before you adjusted it?
Wonder if the throw out bearing disintegrated.

chaos901

June 23, 2020, 06:08:45 AM #19 Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 12:40:27 AM by FSG
Years ago I snagged this diagram from HTT, use it whenever I fill the primary.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

JW113

Quote from: cheech on June 22, 2020, 08:41:58 PM
JW, was there more than normal play that developed at the lever before you adjusted it?

No, the lever felt fine. It just starting showing the obvious signs of clutch drag. So for sure I over filled it, but didn't expect it to keep dragging after I put the right level in.

Chaos, yes that is the correct way to fill no doubt. I didn't think about this later style clutch taking more space up in the primary, and requiring less oil. Just threw a quart in like I've been doing on the early type. Whoops! That picture on the left is interesting, but not accurate for my situation. You can't hardly see between the clutch and primary opening, it's really close, purt near impossible to see where the oil level is on the basket.

-JW

98fxstc

Quote from: JW113 on June 23, 2020, 07:52:56 AM
Quote from: cheech on June 22, 2020, 08:41:58 PM

No, the lever felt fine. It just starting showing the obvious signs of clutch drag. So for sure I over filled it, but didn't expect it to keep dragging after I put the right level in.

Chaos, yes that is the correct way to fill no doubt. I didn't think about this later style clutch taking more space up in the primary, and requiring less oil. Just threw a quart in like I've been doing on the early type. Whoops! That picture on the left is interesting, but not accurate for my situation. You can't hardly see between the clutch and primary opening, it's really close, purt near impossible to see where the oil level is on the basket.

-JW

I make up a dipstick from a piece of thin cardboard.
Mark the outside diameter of the clutch basket on it, referenced against the clutch basket and slip it into the gap as you fill.

Marty33

2013 Road Glide Custom. I was changing fluids prior to a long, hot road trip. Figured I would overfill primary to cover the hot riding conditions. Used Red Line. After about 200 miles, neutral was very hard to get, and had significant clutch creep out of nowhere. Clutch cable had been adjusted prior to trip. So, my lesson was that over filling the primary, even by 4-5 ounces, can screw up your bike.

FSG

:up:  too much in the primary turns the clutch into a viscous coupling

chico

I have a 2007 se ultra and have run 48 oz of harley primary fluid in it since day 1 on my fluid changes.
No problem finding neutral and no clutch drag. Maybe you guys using fluid other the the hd stuff is causing your problems.