April 25, 2024, 10:31:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bike creeps forward while in Neutral

Started by rhuff, May 18, 2019, 04:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhuff

Notice this today while at a couple of stoplights. 

2003 Road King.  Clutch is adjusted appropriately and the tension in the drive belt is right.  What gives?  Obviously, one must be a bit off?.........

Ohio HD

rhuff

Damn Mueller Clutch.  I can't seem to find the sweet spot.  Either it's dragging like now or it's not holding.....

truck

If the transmission is in neutral the bike shouldn't creep even if the clutch is fully engaged. :scratch: Maybe you were facing downhill?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

rhuff

Quote from: truck on May 18, 2019, 05:06:12 PM
If the transmission is in neutral the bike shouldn't creep even if the clutch is fully engaged. :scratch:

That's what I was thinking.  Primary chain?

Ohio HD

I missed the in neutral part, sorry.

Something is binding in the transmission if it's actually moving under motor power. Input shaft on the transmission is always turning when the bike is running and in neutral.

FSG

if it's really in Neutral then it shouldn't be going anywhere unless brakes off and your point downhill

Quote from: rhuff on May 18, 2019, 04:56:09 PM
Damn Mueller Clutch.  I can't seem to find the sweet spot.  Either it's dragging like now or it's not holding.....

well then "Clutch is adjusted appropriately" cant be correct

a 2003 bike, is the clutch cable still the 2003 original?

have you checked it for stretch?

how much slack is at the perch?

what level of fluid is in the primary?

barny7655

whats it like with the clutch lever on , and off , while in neutral , is it the same ? if so , in side your gear box , misaligned gears grabbing , bent shaft binding,a bearing binding also can cause bind   putting pressure on another gearset, cheers
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

rhuff

Quote from: FSG on May 18, 2019, 05:14:21 PM

if it's really in Neutral then it shouldn't be going anywhere unless brakes off and your point downhill

Quote from: rhuff on May 18, 2019, 04:56:09 PM

well then "Clutch is adjusted appropriately" cant be correct

a 2003 bike, is the clutch cable still the 2003 original?

have you checked it for stretch?

how much slack is at the perch?

what level of fluid is in the primary?

Well, obviously it's not right.  It was fine last week when I went for a little ride.  I just assumed it was still on as all seemed to be the same. 

Clutch cable is 3 years old, 8K on it only.  32 oz in primary.  About 1/16 to 1/8 at the perch. 

FSG

so is it really in Neutral ?

we need to be able to half split this problem, is it clutch OR trannie

rhuff

truck

Quote from: rhuff on May 18, 2019, 08:28:38 PM
Yes, in Neutral.
Then it most likely is something binding in the transmission. Must be binding a lot to move the bike. Is there oil in the trans.?

FSG

QuoteIs there oil in the trans.?

what oil has been used in the trannie?

binding NEEDLE BEARINGS 35051-89A inside the FIFTH GEAR  35029-94

are sure to do that before they go .....  POOP

rhuff

Historically, Bel Ray or RedLine.

Will check, thanks.  Haven't gotten to the Trannie.  Will do so next on the list.

MikeL

Banjo string tight drive belt pulling on 5th gear compromising the the roller bearing, locking the main shaft to the bearing. It has to be in this area. If was internal transmission there would be major dental work and lots of noise.

MIKE

truck

rhuff

Quote from: truck on May 21, 2019, 05:51:55 AM
So, how's the oil level?

It's right on. 

So odd.  The very next day, I took the bike out and did a little 10 mile ride.  No issues.  Weirdest thing.  I'll be curious to see if it happens again.

Admiral Akbar

Maybe you stopped on a slight downhill slope?

CndUltra88

Grab the front brake and show that glowing red tail light.
Of course ensure the clutch is adjusted correctly as well.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

rhuff

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on May 21, 2019, 10:30:24 AM
Maybe you stopped on a slight downhill slope?

I hear ya.  But no, it did it at about 5 different lights and the last two are a gentle slope up to my house. 

I dunno.  Let's hope it was just some weird, crazy anomaly?