April 24, 2024, 10:52:47 AM

News:

2013 Road King Cruise Control Set/Resume Switch

Started by gsgtrman, May 19, 2019, 12:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsgtrman

Good afternoon, my wife recently inherited her father's 2013 Road King Classic. She does not want to keep the bike. The only issue I have found is that the Set/Resume cruise control switch feels like it is broken. It feels as if there is supposed to be a centering spring, as the switch itself is very loose and will not return to center. It is also throwing code P0577, cruise control input high. The bike rides as it should without cruise control on. I have attached a pic of the controls.
My question is - can this switch be replaced without too much effort? I have wired several sets of handle bars, have had the tank on and off of my own Softail, etc. The bars are 1 1/4" moderately high apes. As she wants to sell, I see no point in buying the service and parts manual, but as such am finding very little info online. I'm torn between repairing it myself, taking it to a local tech, or considering the cost of the repair in the asking price. Any thoughts, advice or info is greatly appreciated.
Do or do not - there is no try...

e-glide90

No help with how difficult, but part # for switch is 71788-08 (kit)  knob is 71825-96a. 

gsgtrman

That's a good start - much obliged e-glide90!

thumpr54

Not sure...but I'm gonna suspect that if you replace just the switch it'll require some soldering...
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

PoorUB

I am thinking if you have rewired bars you should be able to replace the switch without much issue. You may need to solder the connections, other than that it is just putsy work. A lot of wires in a small area. The biggest issue is getting all the wires tucked back in place without pinching them between the switch housing halves.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PBSTN

I replaced this switch on my 10 last year. If you've done bars. You'll be fine.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

gsgtrman

Cool, I'm going to order the part and do it over the weekend, thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.