March 29, 2024, 01:56:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bead Breaker for 180/65 B16 Tire

Started by Norton Commando, May 19, 2019, 12:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Commando

What are folks using to break the bead on the rear tire (180/65 B16) of a 2012 FLHTK?

I'm looking for something small that can easily be stowed in a drawer when not in use. I had been using this on my older Electra Glides but it will not fit the larger rear tires on the new Electra Glides. [attach=0,msg1297939]
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

road-dawgs1

There's a hand tool called BeadBuster XB-455 that might work for you. I use rudimentary methods
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Norton Commando

May 19, 2019, 01:28:47 PM #2 Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:33:20 PM by Norton Commando
Quote from: road-dawgs1 on May 19, 2019, 01:17:04 PM
There's a hand tool called BeadBuster XB-455 that might work for you. I use rudimentary methods

Thanks, that looks like a good suggestion.

Any others out there?

Has anyone tried this on a 180/65 B16 Tire?
[attach=0,msg1297947]

hdbikedoc

Well I use my Hoffman 1620 and my coats 950  but seriously before my machine used a wood blocks and a old style bumper jack   wood on ground under truck set tire under and use jack and brake bead 
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

Norton Commando

Quote from: hdbikedoc on May 21, 2019, 07:00:17 PM
Well I use my Hoffman 1620 and my coats 950  but seriously before my machine used a wood blocks and a old style bumper jack   wood on ground under truck set tire under and use jack and brake bead

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have a truck or a bumper jack.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

smoserx1

Shop press if you have one.  Get a 2 X 4 just long enough to go from under the press beam to the tire bead.  You can cut an angle off the tire end of the 2 X 4 but it will probably be fine without it.

cbumdumb

I used a big clamp on the rear tire of my old 13 rgu and it worked . But for the love of God I will hopefully never spoon another Dunlop on a tourer again.

guppymech

Harbor Freight sell a bead breaker that works great and while it won't fit in a drawer it does disassemble very easily with three wing nuts.  They sell it for car tires and I've used it on my 130 section bike tires and it works fine.  You do have to space the tire up with wood so the brake rotor or sprocket clears.  The force of the tool on the bead tends to push the tire away so I restrain it with a cargo strap.  I fought beads with C clamps and using my truck frame for years and this tool works much better.

'84 FXE, '02 883R

PoorUB

Quote from: cbumdumb on May 24, 2019, 05:41:29 AM
I used a big clamp on the rear tire of my old 13 rgu and it worked . But for the love of God I will hopefully never spoon another Dunlop on a tourer again.

You should try slip a rear tire on a BMW K1600! Very little drop center, they make the HD baggers look easy! :banghead:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

cbumdumb

Quote from: PoorUB on May 24, 2019, 02:17:31 PM
Quote from: cbumdumb on May 24, 2019, 05:41:29 AM

You should try slip a rear tire on a BMW K1600! Very little drop center, they make the HD baggers look easy! :banghead:

I am happy to take your word for it I spooned that tire on and off with 12 inch spoons never again I will be buying a tire machine since my accident I cant rooster like I used too

Norton Commando

Quote from: guppymech on May 24, 2019, 07:30:12 AM
Harbor Freight sell a bead breaker that works great and while it won't fit in a drawer it does disassemble very easily with three wing nuts.  They sell it for car tires and I've used it on my 130 section bike tires and it works fine.  You do have to space the tire up with wood so the brake rotor or sprocket clears.  The force of the tool on the bead tends to push the tire away so I restrain it with a cargo strap.  I fought beads with C clamps and using my truck frame for years and this tool works much better.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Jason

Mirrmu

go for best you can afford and have space for. I made a timber breaker which i bolt to garage wall when i need it.

Have found that some tires can be tough to break the bead. The Pirelli Night dragon's very difficult. The wire in tire is just that little bit smaller(diameter) than the other manufacturers.

Dunlop and Avon okay to break.

Ironheadmike

Evo160K

Mine's made out of a long 2 x 6's and attaches to the 4 x 4 wooden leg of my workbench.  It's similar to the one in this YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHxZwO0BTgA

HogMike

I bought a Weaver last year and it can remove my truck tires and motorcycle tires down to my lawn mowers tires.
Tried it on some old tires behind the barn rusted to the rims: no problem
Very impressed, good bang for the buck IMO.
Almost fun to R&R tires now.

No I don't work for them.
HOGMIKE
SoCal