April 25, 2024, 03:26:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Brightass Brake Light is Intermittant

Started by Inda Win, May 23, 2019, 08:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inda Win

2012 RGU.  Friend tells me my brake light isn't working.  Sure enough, tail light is on but no brake light with either front or rear.  Go out to the garage to work on it this morning, turn the ignition on and everything works.  Turn the ignition off, then back on and no workie. :scratch:  Any thoughts?

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Inda Win

Thanks, but it's LED.  I have the original tail light assembly.  I suppose I could swap it out to see if the issue is in the tail light itself or further up the line.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on May 23, 2019, 08:32:30 AM
Loose bulb, broken filament.
:up: incandescent or LED? the first LED brake light I installed worked intermittently, I had to remove it and reinstall it. I bought it at an auto parts place years ago, and I don't think it build or designed to well  :unsure:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

LED could be a cracked board. I kind of skipped over the BrightAss part.
As mentioned, try to unplug it and reinstall.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rredneckn2

I assume you have a BAL light assembly. Pull connections at light and grease connectors with dielectric. If no luck put your stock light back in. Send your BAL back they will repair or replace it. Their customer service is excellent.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Rusticwater

Check your fuses? What shape are they in? On my Dyna the accessory fuse powers the brake light, a different circuit from the tail light which is powered by the light fuse. Not sure about your model, some of the touring bikes have a brake relay circuit as well...
Support the Maine lobster industry

Inda Win

Swapped out the BAL assembly for the stock light and still no joy, so at least I've determined that it's not the light itself.

rredneckn2

May 23, 2019, 02:12:57 PM #8 Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:18:24 PM by rredneckn2
Wiring under fender is next then go forward. I would also clean and grease all fuses and relays.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it