March 28, 2024, 05:38:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Are the new stock 2019 M-8's good enough without engine work?

Started by Ken R, March 10, 2019, 03:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

I know you say you don't need a cam, but if you put one in, you'll say yes I guess I did need one after all.
Just sayin'.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Durwood

Quote from: Hossamania on August 11, 2019, 07:12:51 AM
I know you say you don't need a cam, but if you put one in, you'll say yes I guess I did need one after all.
Just sayin'.
Indeed Hoss. The SE447 isn't a bad cam either for guys like Ken that want to retain the warranty.

BVHOG

Quote from: Durwood on August 12, 2019, 04:25:37 AM
Just sayin'.
Indeed Hoss. The SE447 isn't a bad cam either for guys like Ken that want to retain the warranty.
447 Reminds me of when they did the 203 back in the day. Very under rated cam.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Durwood

Quote from: BVHOG on August 12, 2019, 01:07:43 PM
Just sayin'.
Agreed Bob. Here's an example for those interested.
[attach=0]

egstandard

What does it say about our Harleys if we are worried to ride them with 60,000 miles? That's really not a lot for the money spent. I have 175 thousand and change on my 04 flht. Just did a 10,500 mile round tripper. Purred like a kitten. I thought about what I would do if I had a serious breakdown, and the answer was get to a dealer and ride out on a new one. Peer pressure to buy new has never been a great motivator for me.

PoorUB

Are the M8's good enough  to run stock? I know guys that left their 88" stock, right down  to the exhaust. Only the rider can answer that.

Personally, I would have cams, exhaust and tune long before the warranty ran out.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ken R

That seems really impressive! 
Is the red line the performance without tuning?  Then the blue after tuning?

120 ft lbs!  I remember my old 2002 Ultra couldn't come close to 90 ft lbs with 95 CI.  Only then would it maintain 75 mph Interstate speeds. 

The new cam is inexpensive enough.  Might just do it this winter.  (more for the sound than the performance).

I wonder, if the cam is designed for more torque at lower RPM, does that also means more fuel efficiency at those RPM?   I'd love to be the fuel consumption winner with friends at gas stops.  :teeth: :wink:

Quote from: Durwood on August 13, 2019, 03:22:01 AM
Just sayin'.
[attach=0,msg1311046]

sfmichael

Quote from: PoorUB on August 13, 2019, 07:33:16 AM
Are the M8's good enough  to run stock? I know guys that left their 88" stock, right down  to the exhaust. Only the rider can answer that.
:nix:

"Personally, I would have cams, exhaust and tune long before the warranty ran out."
  :up: :bike:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Durwood

Quote from: Ken R on August 13, 2019, 06:47:38 PM
That seems really impressive! 
Is the red line the performance without tuning?  Then the blue after tuning?

120 ft lbs!  I remember my old 2002 Ultra couldn't come close to 90 ft lbs with 95 CI.  Only then would it maintain 75 mph Interstate speeds. 

The new cam is inexpensive enough.  Might just do it this winter.  (more for the sound than the performance).

I wonder, if the cam is designed for more torque at lower RPM, does that also means more fuel efficiency at those RPM?   I'd love to be the fuel consumption winner with friends at gas stops.  :teeth: :wink:

Quote from: Durwood on August 13, 2019, 03:22:01 AM
Just sayin'.
[attach=0,msg1311046]
Yes Ken. Red was with an FP3, blue after tuning with Twin Scan and flashing with Power Vision.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

A lot of my Customers are "conservative" in modifying their Engines. I have them as old as 80 - Good for them!

However, I did a Stage-II with the Torque Cam (Bolt-In with no need for Springs and such) and Slip-On's, removed the CAT and Tuned - now I have a line out the Door. I gotta say it wakes that Engine Up nicely!

BUT, be aware, you'll need a New Cam Plate and Oil Pump with any of these; several changes since the 17' initial Delivery. They "say" the 19's have all the corrections. We'll see.
Tom

hattitude

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on September 14, 2019, 05:43:23 AM

I did a Stage-II with the Torque Cam (Bolt-In with no need for Springs and such) and Slip-On's, removed the CAT and Tuned - now I have a line out the Door. I gotta say it wakes that Engine Up nicely!

BUT, be aware, you'll need a New Cam Plate and Oil Pump with any of these; several changes since the 17' initial Delivery. They "say" the 19's have all the corrections. We'll see.

Well, not all the 19's have all the corrections, because the MoCo changed the oil pump AGAIN  starting with 2019s built after 5/22/19, and for all the 2020 models...

It now has a different case and they went from a larger 10 lobe gerotor set to a smaller 8 lobe gerotor set...

Maybe now the 2020s have all the corrections......    :nix:

Jaycee1964

I have the 107" in my 2018 RGU.  De-cat the head pipe and a set of CVO slip ons with an S&S air change.  Did a tune and its fine for me.  Very smooth and quiet.  Pulls nicely as it is.  I know there is a lot more there to be had for a little work.  If I ever need more or this wears on my i'll do 124" kit and a cam change.  Figure if I do go in, i'll do it all at once.  Iv'e been down the stage 1, 2, 3, 4 road before.  Not interested in doing it again. Next time go strait to BIG..
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

Ken R

Put 6,000 miles on my 2019 Limited in July and August.  (Motorcycle camping in Yellowstone and then again in Rocky Mountain national parks).  On the ride with me was a mirror image of my old 2013 Limited.  Same basic build,  Air Cleaner, and exhaust.   

I consistently got 2 to 4 mpg better mileage with my M8 with the Screamin' Eagle  exhaust kit and air cleaner.    Our gas stops were dictated by his need for fuel.  I could have go 30 to 50 miles further.  Of course, that only matters if, on a trip, a fuel stop can be omitted.   :smile:

But it was fun to compare fuel efficiency. 

We always ride side-by-side, so there isn't any drafting effect.   Actually, I get better mileage solo than when riding "tandem" (side by side).  I think it's because when tandem, we drag a lot  more air with us.  The air in the small space between us gets dragged along.   
Of course, when drafting, gas mileage goes up like 4 mpg.  When he was running low, he'd ride a few feet behind me  bicycle style, to conserve fuel to ensure making it to the next town.   We both have PowerVision units and can see precisely how much fuel we've used.  My PV is consistently within .1 gallons of the pump reading at fill-ups.  It's all part of our fun of traveling.

Ken

PBSTN

For me. It is about dependability. If there is no sumping or migrating. Then I'm all for the m8. But for 25 -30 grand. It better be right.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.