March 28, 2024, 05:08:43 AM

News:

2019 Road King Special

Started by wolfmotor1, May 06, 2019, 01:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfmotor1

My new FLHRXS transmission sounds like a .22 going off when shifted into second and slightly less noisy going to the other gears.  There's an annoying buzz in the throttle side of the handle bar that quickly puts my thumb to sleep at speeds over 63 mph.  Other than that, I love it.  The 114 pulls like a freight train, the handling is great, and the ride is smoooooth.

wolfmotor1

One thousand miles and the handlebar buzz is gone.  Transmission is still clunky and LOUD.  Got a "chirping" noise coming from somewhere now, too.  First service scheduled for next Monday. 

IronButt70

Quote from: wolfmotor1 on June 06, 2019, 06:14:50 AM
One thousand miles and the handlebar buzz is gone.  Transmission is still clunky and LOUD.  Got a "chirping" noise coming from somewhere now, too.  First service scheduled for next Monday.
Have you checked the tranny oil level to make sure you don't have the oil migration issue? Chirping usually comes from 2 metal pieces rubbing together. Sounds like something might be coming loose somewhere.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

TXHogrider

wolfmotor1,
I bought a 2019 FLHXS with the 114 in June and had the same issue with the loud clunking shifts.  1st to 2nd was very loud and took more up force than I thought it should.  2nd - 3rd was loud, and 3rd -4th was too.  I hated the feel of the clutch, and the pulse feed back it gives during down shifts is very annoying.  It was also the hardest HD I have ever had to get into neutral.  I wanted to like the bike, but I was hating it!  The transmission oil level was reading at the lower end of acceptable during the first 1000 miles, so I was hoping it would smooth out with mileage and a change of oil at the first service.
I did the service at 1100 miles and measured the transmission oil at 24oz!  It took exactly 32 oz of the new Harley heavy synthetic gear oil to refill to the top of the dipstick marks.
I drained 37 oz of oil from the primary, and it took 28 oz of Redline primary fluid to fill it.
Both the transmission and primary oil were as clean as I would expect with nothing more than normal fuzz on the drain plug.
37 oz in the primary, and 8oz low in the tranny!!!!!?  No wonder it shifted like $h1+, and I couldn't find neutral.  Now the clutch feels better and I can find neutral easily.  It still gives the annoying pulse feed back at the clutch lever during most down shifts.  The transmission shifts very smoothly when it is cool, but still feels "clunky" and sightly noisy when hot.  I like the new Harley heavy synthetic gear oil more than the good old Formula +, but I will use something heavier next oil change. 
For the $$$ I paid for this Street Glide, I expected to fall in love with it, but I can't.  I traded a 2016 Dyna Low Rider Special for this, and I think I made a HUGE mistake.

road-dawgs1

Quote from: TXHogrider on July 31, 2019, 01:05:30 PM
wolfmotor1,
I bought a 2019 FLHXS with the 114 in June and had the same issue with the loud clunking shifts.  1st to 2nd was very loud and took more up force than I thought it should.  2nd - 3rd was loud, and 3rd -4th was too.  I hated the feel of the clutch, and the pulse feed back it gives during down shifts is very annoying.  It was also the hardest HD I have ever had to get into neutral.  I wanted to like the bike, but I was hating it!  The transmission oil level was reading at the lower end of acceptable during the first 1000 miles, so I was hoping it would smooth out with mileage and a change of oil at the first service.
I did the service at 1100 miles and measured the transmission oil at 24oz!  It took exactly 32 oz of the new Harley heavy synthetic gear oil to refill to the top of the dipstick marks.
I drained 37 oz of oil from the primary, and it took 28 oz of Redline primary fluid to fill it.
Both the transmission and primary oil were as clean as I would expect with nothing more than normal fuzz on the drain plug.
37 oz in the primary, and 8oz low in the tranny!!!!!?  No wonder it shifted like $h1+, and I couldn't find neutral.  Now the clutch feels better and I can find neutral easily.  It still gives the annoying pulse feed back at the clutch lever during most down shifts.  The transmission shifts very smoothly when it is cool, but still feels "clunky" and sightly noisy when hot.  I like the new Harley heavy synthetic gear oil more than the good old Formula +, but I will use something heavier next oil change. 
For the $$$ I paid for this Street Glide, I expected to fall in love with it, but I can't.  I traded a 2016 Dyna Low Rider Special for this, and I think I made a HUGE mistake.

Sounds like the trans migrated into the primary. Did you get the vent fix installed?
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

TXHogrider

Nothing has been fixed or worked on yet.  I don't know how it could migrate that quickly (1100 miles) with mostly easy driving 40-65 mph commuting during the break in.  It seems from initial observations that it did migrate.  I filled it properly and check it every couple of days now to see if the trans is dropping level.  Ticks me off

road-dawgs1

Quote from: TXHogrider on August 01, 2019, 12:13:10 PM
Nothing has been fixed or worked on yet.  I don't know how it could migrate that quickly (1100 miles) with mostly easy driving 40-65 mph commuting during the break in.  It seems from initial observations that it did migrate.  I filled it properly and check it every couple of days now to see if the trans is dropping level.  Ticks me off

At the 500 mile mark on my '19, it didn't even register on the stick.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

TXHogrider

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on August 01, 2019, 06:51:57 PM

That is some serious BS.  Did you get the vent fix from your dealer?

road-dawgs1

Quote from: TXHogrider on August 02, 2019, 06:40:20 AM
Quote from: road-dawgs1 on August 01, 2019, 06:51:57 PM

That is some serious BS.  Did you get the vent fix from your dealer?

Yes, under warranty. And when I brought it back because it still migrated due to them not having removed the oil deflector the first time like they were supposed to, that was also free/warranty work.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

TXHogrider

I talked to the service manager at my selling dealer about what I found during the 1000 mile service.  He is going to do the vent / oil deflector for me next week. No fuss about it at all, no request to let them "check it and monitor for the next 1000 miles"