March 28, 2024, 10:18:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

why remove trans mainshaft oil deflector when installing primary vent ?

Started by stickman53, June 06, 2019, 02:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickman53

The recently-released primary vent installation instructions instruct the tech to check for the presence of the transmission oil deflector P/N 36300026,  and remove it if it is installed, when installing the primary vent.     Was planning to install the vent on my 19 FLTRX for peace of mind, but don't feel like loosening or removing exhaust to access the transmission inner side cover to check for the deflector, although I'm pretty sure there's one in there.   Does anyone see a problem with leaving the deflector installed when venting the primary?      Thanks in advance

Maddo Snr

Quote from: stickman53 on June 06, 2019, 02:55:55 AM...Does anyone see a problem with leaving the deflector installed when venting the primary?      Thanks in advance

Yes, I tried just fitting the vent to a '19 and it pushed primary lube out of the vent, I'm guessing the deflector creates positive air pressure on the cross-shaft.

It doesn't happen on '18s with no slinger. I cured it the lazy way with a one-way valve on the vent...
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

JMHD

Pull the circlip for the release bearing and look down the mainshaft with a bore-scope (they are cheap on amazon) and you will be able to tell if it is there or not. The notches on the back of the deflector is what to look for. I have only done this with the 2nd generation deflector (white plastic) the first gen deflector was black plastic so it might be harder to see. Hope that helps.

cmashark

Are these vent kits available for purchase, yet?  I asked my dealer a few weeks ago, he said no.  If I can order it on line, I would probably install it.  Any more, I'd rather they not mess with my bike... just me or a well known performance indy. 
2021 FLHXSE

Oz Dan

Quote from: cmashark on June 07, 2019, 02:15:00 PM
Are these vent kits available for purchase, yet?  I asked my dealer a few weeks ago, he said no.  If I can order it on line, I would probably install it.  Any more, I'd rather they not mess with my bike... just me or a well known performance indy.

Yes now available for sale.
2017 FLHR Stage 2

cmashark

Sweet! If you or anyone has the vent kit part number, please post it so I can get one on order.
2021 FLHXSE

FSG

it's been posted already, believe it or not it's in the M8 trans fluid leaking in primary thread

hdrider

I installed the primary vent kit on my 2019 Road King and did not bother removing the oil deflector.  No issues at all on mine, but then I had also previously installed the fat pushrod.  The earlier post is the first time I read of any issues with not removing the deflector -- seems like for it to push fluid out the vent it would need to almost fill the primary.

metaliser

Quote from: hdrider on August 04, 2019, 12:15:02 PM
I installed the primary vent kit on my 2019 Road King and did not bother removing the oil deflector.  No issues at all on mine, but then I had also previously installed the fat pushrod.  The earlier post is the first time I read of any issues with not removing the deflector -- seems like for it to push fluid out the vent it would need to almost fill the primary.
The fat pushrod didn't solve the issue by itself ?