This M8 Won't Win a Dyno Shootout - But I like It

Started by FastFLSTF, July 02, 2019, 01:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastFLSTF

What? Mike has a mild build?

I've had my 2019 FLTRU 114" M8 since late October. 6800+ miles so far of commuting and weekend trips. This was the first Harley I've owned that was "nearly good enough" stock. Had enough pull thru the gears for me and the wife to go where we wanted to go. But had to do the stage one thing.

Cobra Pro Chamber headpipes with some Rinehart slip-ons. Fueling 405 cam, Big Sucker AC, AIM clutch hat, and PV dyno tune.

102 HP/120 TQ. Power exactly where I want it. Very mild. Very ridable. First 225 mile tank of "testing" around town and a couple 100 mile round-trip commutes at 80-95 MPH, it's getting 42.5 MPG.

Still have the Fatboy for the nasty Harley and the Ducati 959 for scary fast; this one's just a mild, old man touring bike. A touring bike that sounds good and makes me smile.

klammer76

:up: Looks good to me. As you said, right where you want it for cruising.

crusinmann

Here's my 114 that was tuned at Scheffers  last week. It's stock except for decatted headpipe, s&s grand nationals and air cleaner. Very smooth 80 mph 47 mpg and did a tank on country rds 60 mph at 52 mpg.Great touring bike and power is right where I ride. Thanks Daren!
[attach=1]

doubletrouble

I like the way you think , mild build that has the necessity's and will last.

IronButt70

Quote from: crusinmann on July 03, 2019, 04:09:47 AM
Here's my 114 that was tuned at Scheffers  last week. It's stock except for decatted headpipe, s&s grand nationals and air cleaner. Very smooth 80 mph 47 mpg and did a tank on country rds 60 mph at 52 mpg.Great touring bike and power is right where I ride. Thanks Daren!
[attach=1,msg1305064]
47 MPG at 80 MPH? While I'd like to believe that I find it difficult to do so. Did you mean 37 MPG?
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

02roadcling

Quote from: IronButt70 on July 03, 2019, 03:00:18 PM
[attach=1,msg1305064]
47 MPG at 80 MPH? While I'd like to believe that I find it difficult to do so. Did you mean 37 MPG?

I believe it. I got a tad over 49 mpg cruising at 80 mph in Montana with Scurvy (David) on our way to Codyshop (Ray). We both did the math. Several on here practically called me a liar while others that have experienced the same increase had no problem with it.
I get 37 mpg locally.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

klammer76

Quote from: 02roadcling on July 04, 2019, 08:36:16 AM
[attach=1,msg1305064]

I believe it. I got a tad over 49 mpg cruising at 80 mph in Montana with Scurvy (David) on our way to Codyshop (Ray). We both did the math. Several on here practically called me a liar while others that have experienced the same increase had no problem with it.
I get 37 mpg locally.

cling
I have noticed better gas mileage when riding out west (Sturgis) on my carbed FLHTC than I get back on the east coast for some reason.

IronButt70

Quote from: klammer76 on July 04, 2019, 11:26:41 AM
Quote from: 02roadcling on July 04, 2019, 08:36:16 AM
[attach=1,msg1305064]

I get 37 mpg locally.

cling
I have noticed better gas mileage when riding out west (Sturgis) on my carbed FLHTC than I get back on the east coast for some reason.
Altitude maybe? Heading to Sturgis next year so I'll find out. :chop:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

02roadcling

I think so. The only time anybody shares their ridiculous mpg increase they're always up in altitude.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

PoorUB

First time I rode from Red Lodge to Cody, running over Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway I got 60 MPG with my '05 Ultra. I will admit I was in flower sniffing mode in awe of the scenery and was practically idling up and down the passes. Now when I am out there I ride like an idiot tearing through the switch backs, having a blast and getting 30 MPG!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

crusinmann

Yes and it was on multiple tanks of fuel riding from Indiana to eastern Pa. Measured  miles by actual fuel put in tank not on trip computer. Got 43 on my way out before tune .. Maybe riding style also helps I don't run thru gears revving 5k either but I don't baby it.

pwmorris

July 25, 2019, 05:26:46 PM #11 Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:53:47 PM by pwmorris
"this M8 won't win a dyno shootout"....
No it won't but looks like a nice all around cruiser.. :up: perfect for all around riding on a heavy bagger for sure....
You think your Duck 959 or Fatboy would win one?
What kind of power are they making? Duck 959 makes 150 HP.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/ducati/2018-ducati-panigale-959-corse-ar181549.html

HogMike

Quote from: pwmorris on July 25, 2019, 05:26:46 PM
"this M8 won't win a dyno shootout"....
No it won't but looks like a nice all around cruiser.. :up: perfect for all around riding on a heavy bagger for sure....
You think your Duck 959 or Fatboy would win one?
What kind of power are they making? Duck 959 makes 150 HP.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/ducati/2018-ducati-panigale-959-corse-ar181549.html

I like my 117 M8 as far as road manners are concerned. Too bad it keeps going in for all sorts of minor issues.
Gas mileage compared to my 130 lb riding partners 2014 107 is the same .
Power is substantially more. Probably due to a good tune and exhaust.
Going fast is not my goals at this point in my life.
My buddy Daves duck  2007 (Desmosedici) has 200-250 hp depending on the setup but you can't ride it more than a half hour even in "geezer" mode. This bike is street legal but really a track bike.

My two favorite bikes now are the 2000 heritage 95" and my m8 117.
Long distance and overnighter. Works for me at this point.
My hot rod bike is getting less and less road time. Sad.
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

FastFLSTF

The more I ride the 2019 FLTRU, he more I like it. Rode to northern NJ & back last weekend and got a little over 46 MPG cruising at 75-80 most of the way. That's two-up. Plenty of power for a basically stock (dependable) bike. Tune seems right on with this combo of pipes and mild cam.

Yeah, the Duc is an acquired taste and not a touring bike. I do an average 96 miles/day on mine when I ride it for the daily commute. Get used to using core muscles and not your wrists to hold you up and it's easier.

The new V-4 Panigale is 221 HP at the crank, stock. Amazing for a stock, 418 lbs (wet) bike. Just change oil and tires regularly lol.  Folks bitch about their Dunlops getting on 12,000...I'm lucky to have tires last 4,500. Of course, Pirellis ain't made out of recycled bowling balls.  :teeth:

pwmorris

Quote from: FastFLSTF on July 26, 2019, 01:33:14 PM
The more I ride the 2019 FLTRU, he more I like it. Rode to northern NJ & back last weekend and got a little over 46 MPG cruising at 75-80 most of the way. That's two-up. Plenty of power for a basically stock (dependable) bike. Tune seems right on with this combo of pipes and mild cam.

Yeah, the Duc is an acquired taste and not a touring bike. I do an average 96 miles/day on mine when I ride it for the daily commute. Get used to using core muscles and not your wrists to hold you up and it's easier.

The new V-4 Panigale is 221 HP at the crank, stock. Amazing for a stock, 418 lbs (wet) bike. Just change oil and tires regularly lol.  Folks bitch about their Dunlops getting on 12,000...I'm lucky to have tires last 4,500. Of course, Pirellis ain't made out of recycled bowling balls.  :teeth:
The Duck Panigale is just out of this world 🌎.....
The engineering and design of the V4 and V4R make my FXR look like a dinosaur 🦖.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPhauAlF5Dk

Ken R

I always get 45 to 55 mpg in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.  In Wyoming, no ethanol in premium high octane gas.  Dont know about Montana. 

It's always a drag to ride back into Texas and get 31 - 36 mpg.  But I've seen it year after year after year.