April 19, 2024, 01:35:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Trans doesn't want to downshift

Started by 08flstf, August 03, 2019, 03:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

08flstf

About three months ago I managed to break 3rd gear in my transmission. Took a bit to decide what to do but eventually ended up ordering a Baker grudgebox. After not receiving it when told I would and being told something different each time I spoke to someone different, I decided to cancel that order and go with an oem transmission. Bought a new gearset and sent it to Liberty's Gears and had them disassemble it, cryo treat, shot peen, and surface enhancement, then reassemble. I  had the exhaust and primary, clutch, & compensator all off and brought it to an indy mechanic to install the gearset. Brought it back home and put everything else back together myself. Shifting up is perfect, shifts are smooth and positive. Shifting down not so much. Second seems the hardest to shift down to but all the gears are difficult to downshift to. One time when you go to downshift it will go right into gear but most of the time you have to push down on the shift lever 2 to 4 times before it will go into gear. Not sure I can explain it correctly but it doesn't feel like it's hitting anything at all until the time it actually shifts. No resistance when you push down on the lever like it's trying to go into gear, it just goes down and right back up. After a few times then you can feel it actually have resistance when it goes into gear. Two things I did change when going back together with everything, I replaced the stock clutch pushrod with the one from Macomb choppers and I also changed the spring at the back of the clutch pack to the one from the 19 models as I was trying to get the clutch lever pull closer to the grip. I noticed the pushrod from Macomb was a tad shorter than the stock one. Any ideas would be appreciated.

08flstf

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the shifter pawl on the M8 transmission like the older style transmissions? Looking at the service manual It doesn't look like is is any adjustment unless I'm missing something.

One4Tone

try the original push rod...I don't own an m8...but clutches are basicly all the same mechanisms.

08flstf

I have thought about that and am not opposed to trying it but I don't see how that would cause this. I had a clutch cable break on my other Road Glide once in Hot Springs, Arkansas and rode it home all the way to east Texas. Had no trouble shifting up or down with no clutch at all, just had to let the rpm's get in the right range.

PoorUB

Quote from: 08flstf on August 03, 2019, 03:18:07 PMI replaced the stock clutch pushrod with the one from Macomb choppers and I also changed the spring at the back of the clutch pack to the one from the 19 models as I was trying to get the clutch lever pull closer to the grip. I noticed the pushrod from Macomb was a tad shorter than the stock one. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You can't change the push rod to adjust lever travel on a hydraulic clutch. Only replacing the slave cylinder from one of the aftermarket vendors will accomplish that.

Put the stock push rod back in and try it. It might not make a difference, but it is easy and cheap to try.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

08flstf

Quote from: PoorUB on August 04, 2019, 08:43:24 AM
Quote from: 08flstf on August 03, 2019, 03:18:07 PMI replaced the stock clutch pushrod with the one from Macomb choppers and I also changed the spring at the back of the clutch pack to the one from the 19 models as I was trying to get the clutch lever pull closer to the grip. I noticed the pushrod from Macomb was a tad shorter than the stock one. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You can't change the push rod to adjust lever travel on a hydraulic clutch. Only replacing the slave cylinder from one of the aftermarket vendors will accomplish that.

Put the stock push rod back in and try it. It might not make a difference, but it is easy and cheap to try.

I didn't change the pushrod to change lever pull, it is supposed to stop transfer from trans to primary. I just happened to notice it was a little shorter when I changed it. I will try changing back to the stock one though just in case.

D-1

Is this with the engine running or just sitting on the bench? On the bench, you need to rock the back wheel back and forth while clicking thru the gears to help everything line up. Also make sure the foot lever pivot is free and lubed, it almost sounds like the shift lever isnt ratcheting over to the next pawl which can happen if the bush is tight on the shaft.

08flstf

Took everything apart yesterday. Shift detent arm was bent and assembled wrong. There is a spacer or collar that goes under the detent along with the spring. Straightened the arm and put collar in correct place and it works now. Thanks for all the replies.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.