Has anyone put a header on a M8 and used a SE Street tuner and had warranty voi

Started by NJDave, August 22, 2019, 08:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJDave

Has anyone  put a header on a M8 and used a SE Street tuner and had warranty voided?  One dealer said if they put it on no......other said you cant....one said you wont notice a difference so dont  waste the money....looking at a limited leftover  or perhaps the 2020 depending on the deals....

rigidthumper

The dealer represents the factory, and if they claim they will cover anything that the factory will not (or can not, according to the EPA decree) cover, they are in violation of their franchise agreement.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

A Dealer Communications states that "Dealers who choose to perform work NOT in compliance with the 2016 EPA settlement do so on their own".
Tom

NJDave

Thank you!   do you know If you get the ESP and then   after two year warranty is over will  harley void ESP warranty if you put a  non harley tuner on it?

PoorUB

If you want to maintain a warranty of any kind leave it stock or HD stage kits only. Anything else and your warranty has a great chance of getting voided, even ESP.

Dealers might stand behind any performance  mods they do, but coporate HD or ESP might not, so you take yor chances with that dealer.  What happens if you are half way across the USA and have a problem and you have a mod that is not on the HD factory play list?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Tex_Bagger

Quote from: PoorUB on August 22, 2019, 12:24:34 PMif you are half way across the USA and have a problem and you have a mod that is not on the HD factory play list?

I would love to see the "play list".    I an getting ready to put a pair of V&H slip ons, with no AC mod and no tune.
2016 CVO Street Glide (Black)D&D fatcat
2020 FLRT Freewheeler Trike Bone Stock

PoorUB

Quote from: Tex_Bagger on April 16, 2020, 07:47:00 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on August 22, 2019, 12:24:34 PMif you are half way across the USA and have a problem and you have a mod that is not on the HD factory play list?

I would love to see the "play list".    I an getting ready to put a pair of V&H slip ons, with no AC mod and no tune.

Are the V&H slip ons EPA stamped? If not you are possibly voiding your warranty.

Buglet

If I have to worry about warranty to go cross country I guess I should stay home have a beer and say man that some good looking bike. Then when the warranty runs out I be ably to take my trip cross country and not worry about the warranty. Or is it the other way you ride your bike with the warranty then when it runs out you hop it up and then sit home have a beer a say that some looking bike. All the new bikes I brought the last 45 years left the dealer with no warranty, not one left me sitting alone the road. The best part I still have them all except the first one which I can get back anytime.

PoorUB

It is fine if you don't care about the warranty, but many people do, and many buy ESP.

In either situation the closer you bike is to stock the better off you are. Any engine mods need to be EPA approved. Harley is not messing around with this after the EPA spanked them 3-4 years ago. Guys are ignoring it and their bike ends up at a dealer for a tire change, the technician notices some modification and the bike gets tagged and no warranty.

I never did understand how Harley got away with it as long as they did. Even 20 years ago it was illegal to replace mufflers unless they were EPA approved. Here we have a large company selling "off road use only" parts for 900 pound street bikes that never see a gravel road, let along off road. Technically EPA does not allow you to change anything from the air cleaner to the mufflers and anything in between unless it meets EPA regs.

Buglet

Here is another way to look at it, If no one did anything to there bikes how many shop would be gone, never mine hurting Harley as there about the company the offers so many options to do things to there bike right or wrong. If EPA is the only way to go I guess we would have no vendors to support this site.   

PoorUB

I doubt the aftermarket will be going away anytime soon. There are some aftermarket options where the manufacturer went the extra mile to get parts EPA approved. Plus the shade tree mechanics at home will do what ever they want anyway, except in states with stringent inspections. My 2016 had no warranty from day one. I can't ride a stock Harley. Not that I just want to mod mine, I just can not deal with the crappy performance out of the box.