March 28, 2024, 05:01:25 PM

News:

Touring/Bagger V-Rod

Started by electrajohnt, March 19, 2017, 04:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrajohnt

Getting old, feeling the weight/height or fear of the weight of roadglide CVO Ultra.

I don't really need full Touring spec but would like roadglide style front end, rear bags and decent seat for the missus.

Is it practical with a V Rod, who sells the parts to do it.

Any guidance or thoughts appreciated.
JohnT

rbabos

Quote from: electrajohnt on March 19, 2017, 04:07:07 PM
Getting old, feeling the weight/height or fear of the weight of roadglide CVO Ultra.

I don't really need full Touring spec but would like roadglide style front end, rear bags and decent seat for the missus.

Is it practical with a V Rod, who sells the parts to do it.

Any guidance or thoughts appreciated.
JohnT
Too much money and work to convert.  I'd be looking at other brands for your goals.
Ron

PC_Hater

http://www.grcustoms.com and possibly others sell the kit to mount the Road Glide fairing you already have to the V-Rod you have to buy!

My Plan A would be to remove all the unnecessary junk from the CVO Road Glide you already have.
The radio goes, the Tour Pak goes (have you seen how much they weigh?), fit lighter wheels, perhaps a different seat etc.
Fit an anti-gravity battery, expensive but you lose 18lbs in weight.
Sumax fibreglass mudguards will get yet more weight off.
etc etc.
The footboard mounts are big heavy lumps of steel, they could be replaced with something nice and lighter. (please order two sets if you find any, I want them too!)

I use a Givi topbox and an Electraglide seat with the rider section cut-down to be about the same as the original Road Glide seat. That way she still has the very comfy passenger seat.
The radio is gone, the speakers are gone, the front wheel and tyre is 13lbs lighter using a now unobtainable Dymag wheel.
I would be using nice light 17" wheels if I were doing it now.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

electrajohnt

Everone, thank you for the input.

Panzer

HAL64HD........your PM box is full.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hal64hd

Oops my bad,
  Cleared a few out ty

hogmandon

If you don't care about a fat rear tire. Try to find a low miles 07 RG. Last year before they really started to get heavy. No TBW it has the six speed and 96" engine. Lots of things you can do to reduce the weight from stock.