Started by Wood, October 23, 2018, 03:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wood

Oct 18,2018
Manufacturer Recall Number0173
NHTSA Recall NumberNot Available
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete

Summary:
The hydraulic clutch system with secondary clutch actuator part numbers 37200131and 37200131A on the subject motorcycles may exhibit an internal leak of fluid past the secondary clutch actuator piston/seal. If this leak continues for an extended period, the clutch master cylinder reservoir could lose enough fluid toexpose the hydraulic clutch circuit to air, which may result in the inability to generate enough lift to disengage the clutch.

More info:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/harley-davidson-to-voluntarily-recall-238300-motorbikes-for-hydraulic-clutch-assembly-2018-10-23-7912941
Wood

PoorUB

Funny, I don't recall and clutch cylinder problems. The conspiracy  theorist in me wonders if the fix is for the other problem  that they don't want to talk about. :smiled:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FSG

Helmwurst

Per the dealership this morning, details and parts will not be available until November 5th.

rbabos

Quote from: Helmwurst on October 24, 2018, 07:23:01 AM
Per the dealership this morning, details and parts will not be available until November 5th.
Right on top of the situation as usual. :banghead:
Ron

PoorUB

Sure, but send the recall notice  out so the public is informed,  whether it can get fixed or not! It takes  the responsibility  away from the MoCo.

FloridaJim5

Quote from: PoorUB on October 24, 2018, 08:06:06 AM
Sure, but send the recall notice  out so the public is informed,  whether it can get fixed or not! It takes  the responsibility  away from the MoCo.

If recalls on motorcycles are handled the same as the auto industry, NHTSA mandates that the owners are notified of an upcoming recall - Yes, even before the parts are available!  NHTSA has very specific timelines and they are involved with the investigation and remedy from the very beginning. 

50Panhead

I don't know but just guessing.
Can't do a safety recall on oil migration. That's not a safety issue.
Does big business insurance cover safety recalls?
Make something up as a safety issue to correct a imperfection?

Unethical but might work. 
What Do You Care What Other People Think

rigidthumper

Quote from: 50Panhead on October 26, 2018, 08:25:02 AM

The recall involves removing the outer chrome/black cover, replacing the secondary actuator, bleeding the system and reinstalling the cover. Don't believe there's enough room to pop in the oil slinger without removing the side cover.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Quote from: PoorUB on October 23, 2018, 04:15:05 PM
Funny, I don't recall and clutch cylinder problems. The conspiracy  theorist in me wonders if the fix is for the other problem  that they don't want to talk about. :smiled:
This was a federal safety recall from NHTSA. I believe they have had nothing but problems with the hydraulic clutches since they introduced them in the Rushmore models in 2014. This is definitely not the first clutch recall, Just the latest. Bye the way, Brembo is the clutch supplier. There were 5 crashes worldwide that led to the recall.

PoorUB

Quote from: 96349 on October 31, 2018, 09:29:28 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on October 23, 2018, 04:15:05 PM
This was a federal safety recall from NHTSA. I believe they have had nothing but problems with the hydraulic clutches since they introduced them in the Rushmore models in 2014. This is definitely not the first clutch recall, Just the latest. Bye the way, Brembo is the clutch supplier. There were 5 crashes worldwide that led to the recall.

I agree there has been other recalls, but all for the master cylinder. First time I have heard of any complaints on the slave cylinder.

50Panhead

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 27, 2018, 10:55:14 AM
Quote from: 50Panhead on October 26, 2018, 08:25:02 AM

The recall involves removing the outer chrome/black cover, replacing the secondary actuator, bleeding the system and reinstalling the cover. Don't believe there's enough room to pop in the oil slinger without removing the side cover.

Secondary Actuator is acting like a "pump" it pushed oil along the clutch rod  every time the clutch is used. IMO
What Do You Care What Other People Think

JohnCA58

Local News says almost 180,000 HD affected by the recall.
YOLO

rigidthumper

Quote from: 50Panhead on November 01, 2018, 08:02:29 AM
Secondary Actuator is acting like a "pump" it pushed oil along the clutch rod  every time the clutch is used. IMO

That theory was tested, on a bike that was having transfer issues, by using the clutch only twice- first time only to first start movement, and second to come to a stop back at the shop. Transfer occurred, just as much that time, as it had with normal clutch usage.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 01, 2018, 08:21:51 AM
Quote from: 50Panhead on November 01, 2018, 08:02:29 AM

That theory was tested, on a bike that was having transfer issues, by using the clutch only twice- first time only to first start movement, and second to come to a stop back at the shop. Transfer occurred, just as much that time, as it had with normal clutch usage.
I buy that. At about .070 stroke that sucker would need a wildman on the clutch to pump any decent amount of oil.  :hyst:
Ron

FSG

There's more info on M1482 Specific and Recall 173 stuff in the SECTION

PoorUB

I don't understand why a failure rate of .1% ends up in a recall. I am still calling B.S. on this. something else is up. :missed:

Bike31

2017 Sportster 1200 C #79 since 1960

FSG

farmall

Quote from: PoorUB on November 01, 2018, 03:38:40 PM
I don't understand why a failure rate of .1% ends up in a recall. I am still calling B.S. on this. something else is up. :missed:
I expect they considered the potential for future malfunction in the rest of the fleet.

The MoCo need a better design model than "build it cheap, upgrade when forced by failure".  IMO HD should dump Brembo and use Japanese hydraulics for clutch and brakes.  Japanese quality methods and practices made their motorcycle industry a success followed by their auto industry.  HD are institutionally unable to care about that on post-Evolution models (which incidentally, and to great unhappiness at Cincinnati Milacron, were built using Japanese CNC machines which were and remain best-in-world).  Modern business is global and premium marques should seek the best quality components no matter who produce them.

tomcat64

the real bummer is that the recalled art is the same one as the earlier recall, but a different manufacturer of the part. the oil transfer is an entirely different problem and the fix that works should be out soon!  :wink:

flhr

I tried to get the recall done on my bike a while back. A friend of mine that works in parts said the have updated the recall part.
Can anybody tell what the difference is? He didn't know and they installed the new part number Thursday>

Princess Butt

My local dealer has the parts, my 2018 is in for the recall now.

Will update when I pick up later this week.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Maddo Snr

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 27, 2018, 10:55:14 AM...Don't believe there's enough room to pop in the oil slinger without removing the side cover.

Correct. You can't even see the slinger with just the S/C removed. Having removed the S/C you're only 4 cap screws from having the hat off.  Once the hat is off you could back a Kenworth in there.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

Princess Butt

Had the recall done and picked up the bike last night. There is no discernible difference in clutch action.

If it fails out of warranty, then I would use the aftermarket unit everyone seems to like.

I have not noticed a transfer issue with my bike, a 2018 Road Glide Ultra.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.