March 29, 2024, 03:41:32 AM

News:

TTS 250 Cam

Started by Murph83, February 16, 2019, 02:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph83

Hi Guys,

We are currently putting a 124" build together using the TTS 250 cam. On the TTS web site it says not to run over 12-1 comp on the 250. Does anyone know the intake closing point on this cam? We have a few piston options in stock and will look to set the build up between 220-230ccp

Thanks

prodrag1320

Quote from: Murph83 on February 16, 2019, 02:21:15 AM
Hi Guys,

We are currently putting a 124" build together using the TTS 250 cam. On the TTS web site it says not to run over 12-1 comp on the 250. Does anyone know the intake closing point on this cam? We have a few piston options in stock and will look to set the build up between 220-230ccp

Thanks

maybe check with TTS (???)

BigT

I called and asked the same question for a 117" build using the TTS 200 cam and he wouldn't tell me.

Don D

Why don't you guys measure the lifter rise with a degree wheel attached and TDC found and indicator setup if you have to know.

BVHOG

I got a better idea, why don't you use a product where the vendor gives you the needed information to properly build a combination and not assume that they know what's best for you.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

rigidthumper

That info may be helpful, maybe not. I've seen many cases where the valve timing info not given, ( base circle open to .053" and .053 close to base circle) and valve lo lift flow, had a huge affect on the CCP; where the cam card data indicated the SE255 (6/25,48/7) should crank about 185-187# at seal level, CVOs usually measured way above that- sometimes as high as 210-212#.

I'd set the static at 11.8 just to leave a tiny margin for error. Build it, tune it, & let it eat tires.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Don D

Agreed which is why I said "if you have to"
It is just an OCD adventure beyond setting it at what is recommended.

HD/Wrench

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 16, 2019, 08:34:48 AM
That info may be helpful, maybe not. I've seen many cases where the valve timing info not given, ( base circle open to .053" and .053 close to base circle) and valve lo lift flow, had a huge affect on the CCP; where the cam card data indicated the SE255 (6/25,48/7) should crank about 185-187# at seal level, CVOs usually measured way above that- sometimes as high as 210-212#.

I'd set the static at 11.8 just to leave a tiny margin for error. Build it, tune it, & let it eat tires.

here is the stick at 11.1
124 billet cat by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Murph83

Thanks Steve  :up: Do you think we will run in to issues at 11.5-1? We have changed the build plan and will be using the S&S 128" pistons/cylinders.We will zero deck the cylinders and heads will hace a 89cc chamber volume

Mopower

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on February 26, 2019, 11:28:17 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on February 16, 2019, 08:34:48 AM

here is the stick at 11.1
124 billet cat by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Nice Tq curve for sure, but this build you posted in the Dyno forum with the S&S 475 is more impressive to me. Bolt in cam. No valve springs needed. Seems to me to be THE cam for the 124" stock head motor so far.
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=106997.0

HD/Wrench

stock heads vary that is not the same pipe I would give up the extra tq for this curve , that Bassani is stupid loud like I would toss it into the nearest trash can loud .  Ear plugs in and muffs over the top and my head was still ringing  after the dyno tune . Sorry power or not that is  not what I would want I could never ride the bike.. My dog is in the shop most days and she even ran off and she will sit by a 124 with a zilla or rush wrath and not care . that one idling she haul arse out of the shop into my office  :hyst: :hyst: 

Tuning wise the 250 was much easier to dial in . and I have tuned the 475 with the billet cat . Both make good power .

ndmp40

Quote from: BVHOG on February 16, 2019, 08:14:59 AM
I got a better idea, why don't you use a product where the vendor gives you the needed information to properly build a combination and not assume that they know what's best for you.

X2

Durwood

X3  :up:

Murph83

Valid point about using a vendor who is happy to share cam specs  :up: TTS 250 is sitting here on the shelf but we also have a CR-470 in stock. Thanks for your input

Mainecat

Ahhh maybe he doesn't want someone copying his work.  I took a risk with the TTS200 in my SE 114".  It has great driveability at all rpm's and is pulling 130/120 with stock heads.

ndmp40

All you have to do is buy one and run it through a cam doctor. 

So much for that excuse....

Durwood

Quote from: Murph83 on March 09, 2019, 08:44:00 PM
Valid point about using a vendor who is happy to share cam specs  :up: TTS 250 is sitting here on the shelf but we also have a CR-470 in stock. Thanks for your input
Here are the specs of the CR-470 in case the spec sheet didn't come with the cam.

Intake   open 16  Close 40  .470 lift  102LC   236 duration

Ex.    Open 60   Close 14   .460 lift  113LC  254 duration

30 degree over lap  107.5LSA

BVHOG

Quote from: Durwood on March 14, 2019, 05:25:47 AM
Here are the specs of the CR-470 in case the spec sheet didn't come with the cam.

Oh  no now you did it, everyone will copy this cam and sell it as their own.

Durwood

Quote from: BVHOG on March 14, 2019, 06:37:52 AM

:hyst:

Murph83

Thanks Durwood, we have the cam card here. We have used the CR-530 in our last two 124 builds and they performed very well.

sfmichael

Quote from: BVHOG on March 14, 2019, 06:37:52 AM

:hyst: x2
Colorado Springs, CO.

HD/Wrench

well if any one wants to sell the cam that has no specs  as no way it can work  happy to take it off your hands . cheap that is as well it has no specs that makes it close to useless based on a few posts here  :hyst: :hyst:

Cvosjoe

:up:

Slyde

March 22, 2019, 02:53:30 PM #23 Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:25:24 PM by Slyde
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on March 22, 2019, 06:25:31 AM
well if any one wants to sell the cam that has no specs  as no way it can work  happy to take it off your hands . cheap that is as well it has no specs that makes it close to useless based on a few posts here  :hyst: :hyst:

Ohio HD

:up:

kd

March 22, 2019, 04:23:41 PM #25 Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:17:34 PM by kd
Quote from: Slyde on March 22, 2019, 02:53:30 PM

Your post is hard to read. I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean that supplying cam specs is OK or not OK. Does it matter or not matter. Just follow the recommendations of the designer and leave it at that??

Brian

I think the consensus is that it (TTS 250) works well for the purpose it is designed and advertised for if you follow the designer's instructions.  If you want to do your own design then choose from the cams that do give specs and do your own testing to make it work as well.  I suspect GMR (without me putting words in his mouth) is saying that he can satiosfy his customers with it and would be happy to recommend it and or use it when the right situation presents itself.  Post 7 shows that clearly.  Most of us would have to agree that even though Steve Cole wants to keep his specs to himself, his cam series work well for their intended purpose including the TTS 250. 
KD

Slyde

Quote from: kd on March 22, 2019, 04:23:41 PM

Your post is hard to read. I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean that supplying cam specs is OK or not OK. Does it matter or not matter. Just follow the recommendations of the designer and leave it at that??

Brian

I think the consensus is that it (TTS 250) works well for the purpose it is designed and advertised for if you follow the designer's instructions.  If you want to do your own design then chose from the cams that do give specs and do your own testing to make it work as well.  I suspect GMR (without me putting words in his mouth) is saying that he can satisfy his customers with it and would be happy to recommend it and or use it when the right situation presents itself.  Post 7 shows that clearly.  Most of us would have to agree that even though Steve Cole wants to keep his specs to himself, his cam series work well for their intended purpose including the TTS 250.

I appreciate that. Thank you.

HD/Wrench

Brian

I think the consensus is that it (TTS 250) works well for the purpose it is designed and advertised for if you follow the designer's instructions.  If you want to do your own design then choose from the cams that do give specs and do your own testing to make it work as well.  I suspect GMR (without me putting words in his mouth) is saying that he can satiosfy his customers with it and would be happy to recommend it and or use it when the right situation presents itself.  Post 7 shows that clearly.  Most of us would have to agree that even though Steve Cole wants to keep his specs to himself, his cam series work well for their intended purpose including the TTS 250.

Pretty much yes it works specs WHY whats the big deal , just more upset people stating this or that . It works what's the issue why do you need them ??  more arm chair QB on what cam to try based on specs and dyno sheets from all over the place ??

Reason I am not on here much . same ole crowd . Well gotta go install a no spec cam no way it will work   :hyst: :hyst:

BVHOG

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on March 28, 2019, 12:19:49 PM

Brian

Pretty much yes it works specs WHY whats the big deal , just more upset people stating this or that . It works what's the issue why do you need them ??  more arm chair QB on what cam to try based on specs and dyno sheets from all over the place ??

Reason I am not on here much . same ole crowd . Well gotta go install a no spec cam no way it will work   :hyst: :hyst:

Ok Steve, I got a set of cams here for a twincam , I'm gonna grind off the numbers and not gonna tell you what they are  but man will they work well in a twin cam motor, just take my word for it. Should set the compression between 9 to 1 and 11 to 1. Best thing going, just take my word for it. :teeth:

Hilly13

:koolaid1: :slap: :hyst:
Hey Bob, there is a builder/tuner in Tassie that does exactly that(grinds the marks off), I kid you not.
Just because its said don't make it so

HD/Wrench

Quote from: BVHOG on March 28, 2019, 01:06:26 PM
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on March 28, 2019, 12:19:49 PM

Brian

Ok Steve, I got a set of cams here for a twincam , I'm gonna grind off the numbers and not gonna tell you what they are  but man will they work well in a twin cam motor, just take my word for it. Should set the compression between 9 to 1 and 11 to 1. Best thing going, just take my word for it. :teeth:

Well You do not like Steve I get that fine but If I have tested a cam can show the dyno sheet tell you what comp ratio it works at low to high , if it needs high lift valve springs , then what the issue . Cam needs high lift spring , ok works best from stock to 11.5 comp ratio and here is the proof . Ok its not like the snap shot of a cam is telling you much .   

I get your point , and I hope you see mine  the cam works I have proven it dozens of others have proven it . its that simple .  there is what he suggests , I posted the sheet so its that simple . A snap shot of specs means very little and you know that . Myself have no issue with it . 

TTS-250

Designed to increase torque in the 2500-6000 RPM range.

Developed for Milwaukee-Eight engines with modified heads and pistons. Ideal for Stage III or IV kits.

Not recommended for compression over 12.0:1.

FOR CLOSED COURSE COMPETITION USE ONLY. NOT LEGAL FOR SALE OR USE IN CALIFORNIA ON ANY POLLUTION CONTROLLED MOTOR VEHICLE.

All '17 - '19 Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight Models

Requires:
- Use of high lift valve springs (such as TTS Performance Valve Springs, P/N 2000311)
- Modified valve reliefs in pistons

1workinman

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on March 01, 2019, 07:05:58 AM
stock heads vary that is not the same pipe I would give up the extra tq for this curve , that Bassani is stupid loud like I would toss it into the nearest trash can loud .  Ear plugs in and muffs over the top and my head was still ringing  after the dyno tune . Sorry power or not that is  not what I would want I could never ride the bike.. My dog is in the shop most days and she even ran off and she will sit by a 124 with a zilla or rush wrath and not care . that one idling she haul arse out of the shop into my office  :hyst: :hyst: 

Tuning wise the 250 was much easier to dial in . and I have tuned the 475 with the billet cat . Both make good power .
Damn lol that funny  really nice chart to