March 29, 2024, 05:52:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lower speaker question

Started by Raleigh111, April 18, 2018, 06:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raleigh111

okay so i bought a crashed street glide a few years ago with misc parts. I installed the auquatics radio, a amp and some infininty 6.5 speakers. The fairing speakes sound great. Love it. I went to install the 6.5 speakers in the lower fairing and they dont fit. I think i have jm lower speaker pods for 7.25 speakers. Everything is painted and i dont really want to spend 200 plus dollars on jm speakers. The infinity speakers sound great in the fairing. Any ideas on what to do?
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

timcosby

you could make a ring adapter out of thin plywood. screw it to the fairing then put in speakers.

Nitrochicken

Is the recess for the flush mount speakers  a square?? J&M kind of "one offed" that deal. Might be cheaper to run the eBay/HD route and do it right the first time.

Raleigh111

Quote from: Nitrochicken on May 11, 2018, 07:54:06 PM
Is the recess for the flush mount speakers  a square?? J&M kind of "one offed" that deal. Might be cheaper to run the eBay/HD route and do it right the first time.
Quote from: timcosby on April 23, 2018, 11:35:20 PM
you could make a ring adapter out of thin plywood. screw it to the fairing then put in speakers.
Okay so i made a adapter from thin plywood to mount them. problem is they dont sound good in pods? I have tried switching speakers thinking something was wrong with them, i tried switching front and rear of amp? i think i have concluded that when you put the speakers in the pods i am getting some sort of echo or? I am no speaker or stero guru so not sure what to try. If you slowly pull them out of pods while playing you can hear the echo go away and they sound great.???? lost on what to do. They have clearance in there but some thing is going on.

cbumdumb

I drilled a one inch hole in the bottom of mine it helped was going to try larger hole but was hit head on . Never got a chance to try and tune the port I made. The ifininty serieres I used require much larger box size than the pod gave so I cut a one inch hole . Was going to try and make a small port tube and try different lengths but the accident took that bike from me.

oldhippie

Put poly insulation behind them

Raleigh111

Quote from: cbumdumb on July 03, 2018, 06:11:00 PM
I drilled a one inch hole in the bottom of mine it helped was going to try larger hole but was hit head on . Never got a chance to try and tune the port I made. The ifininty serieres I used require much larger box size than the pod gave so I cut a one inch hole . Was going to try and make a small port tube and try different lengths but the accident took that bike from me.
Quote from: oldhippie on July 03, 2018, 09:59:07 PM
Put poly insulation behind them

Dont these 2 suggestions contradict  each other?

gordonr

I'm not sure what you mean by sounding bad. Do you have a 4 channel amp?
"If was easy everyone would do it"

gordonr

I ask about the amp to see if you can balance and fade to each individual speaker and listen. That head unit is not that great for audio tuning either. Your amp will set the basics. Most all cross overs for M/C should be set @ 100 to 125hz depending on speaker choice, amp quality and wattage. Do the lower speakers sound better if your ear is in direct alignment?

Raleigh111

Quote from: gordonr on July 04, 2018, 03:41:18 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by sounding bad. Do you have a 4 channel amp?
yes 4 channel amp.
the speakers sound good until you put them in pods then they sound crappy. I tried swapping speakers and channels on amp to make sure i could rule out bad speakers or radio amp problem.

Hossamania

The poly insulation tip is a cheap easy option. If it works, great, if not, no real money or effort spent.
Maybe you could just line the inside of the pod.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Coyote

Poly Fil is your friend.  :up:

https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-PF12A-Poly-Fil-Polyester-12-Ounce/dp/B000YZ7G44

Also, Dyna Mat on the inside of the cavities will reduce the box vibrations.

gordonr

I'm kind of thinking polarity and or tweeter placement issues.

Raleigh111

Quote from: Coyote on July 04, 2018, 10:36:44 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-PF12A-Poly-Fil-Polyester-12-Ounce/dp/B000YZ7G44

Quote from: gordonr on July 04, 2018, 12:06:00 PM
I'm kind of thinking polarity and or tweeter placement issues.
I have adjusted the tweeter and changed polarity , IMHO hard to tell difference in polarity.
Thanks i will try the poly fill and report back.

Raleigh111

Quote from: Coyote on July 04, 2018, 10:36:44 AM

do you stuff the poly fill in the pod pretty thick so its packed right up against speakers?

Coyote

No, don't use too much. Just a couple of folds. Don't compress it.

Raleigh111

Quote from: Coyote on July 04, 2018, 05:51:18 PM
Thanks.. will try in next few days and report back.

Raleigh111

July 23, 2018, 07:50:41 PM #17 Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:54:48 PM by Raleigh111
Quote from: Coyote on July 04, 2018, 05:51:18 PM

FYI from when i started this post i sold the street glide and transferred my whole radio setup to my road glide.

Thanks! it defiantly made it better!

Funny i had this same setup in my street glide and it sounded like it had more mid or base volume. I think the road glide speaker placement is not as good as street glide. Just dont have as much bass or mid sound?? Aquatics radio, clarion xc 1410 amp and infinity kapa 6.5 speakers in fairing and lowers. I tried the different settings on the amp at 60/90 and flat but no real big difference. :nix: I took this system out of my street glide and just reinstalled in my road glide? sounded way better in street glide. Road glide is 2013 and street glide was 2009? Confused??

gordonr

Raleigh111

gordonr

I hate to bring the polarity issue back up again. If one speaker is reversed wired from another it will kill mid bass. As one speaker "pushes out" when playing and the another reversed wired "pulling the woofer in" will kill bass. As I explained about the freq to set your base cut off at, your exhaust output sound will cancel bass under 100 hz.

Raleigh111

Quote from: gordonr on July 25, 2018, 04:20:22 PM
I hate to bring the polarity issue back up again. If one speaker is reversed wired from another it will kill mid bass. As one speaker "pushes out" when playing and the another reversed wired "pulling the woofer in" will kill bass. As I explained about the freq to set your base cut off at, your exhaust output sound will cancel bass under 100 hz.
I will do some double checking the next few days! I have done the lighter or flame test to make sure the speakers were pushing the flame out not sucking it in. I would think that test makes sense? From what i know (not much) you could have polarity mixed up going into the amp but not out? BTW i set the clarion amp on high because i am not using rca and set hertz to flat.

Coyote

Quote from: Raleigh111 on July 26, 2018, 04:47:49 AM
I will do some double checking the next few days! I have done the lighter or flame test to make sure the speakers were pushing the flame out not sucking it in. I would think that test makes sense? From what i know (not much) you could have polarity mixed up going into the amp but not out? BTW i set the clarion amp on high because i am not using rca and set hertz to flat.
Just use a AAA battery and put it on the speaker leads. Battery positive will identify speaker positive when the cone moves out when connected. Visual identification is all you need.

Raleigh111

Quote from: Coyote on July 26, 2018, 08:56:57 AM
Quote from: Raleigh111 on July 26, 2018, 04:47:49 AM
Just use a AAA battery and put it on the speaker leads. Battery positive will identify speaker positive when the cone moves out when connected. Visual identification is all you need.

Thanks guys! I pulled fairing apart tonight and discovered that i had polarity crossed on front right speaker. Sound is much better now! Sound is as good as it was when installed on my street glide. To those who say they cant tell the difference when polarity is crossed get your ears checked, lol. The mid and base sound is so much better. I think the closer the speakers are to each other the more noticeable it is when crossed.

The poly fill made the lower speakers sound much better, they do not come out as clear and as loud as the fronts but they are much improved. Must still have something to do with the pods and placement?

Thanks again.