April 19, 2024, 02:05:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Replacing a Zumo 665

Started by Snorth, October 03, 2018, 08:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorth

Well, my Zumo 665 popped out of the mount at 65 MPH so now I need to replace it. Do I get a smartphone mount and use it or do I get another GPS? I have to admit I hated the routing on the Zumo, but at least I could create a route. Information and opinions please.

turboprop

Quote from: Snorth on October 03, 2018, 08:59:20 AM
Well, my Zumo 665 popped out of the mount at 65 MPH so now I need to replace it. Do I get a smartphone mount and use it or do I get another GPS? I have to admit I hated the routing on the Zumo, but at least I could create a route. Information and opinions please.

Have you tried using Waze on your phone? Much better than any GPS.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

PoorUB

It depends on you.

I buy a $150 GPS and it works great for me but I don't download trip routing. I just plug in the next stop. My trips are rarely that structured and if they are I just write down a list of way points and put in the next one.

If I loose my cell phone it will cost me hundreds of dollars.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

moose

it's pricey but I like my zumo 595
Moose aka Glenn-

mkd

i use a nuvi 2455 lmt and mount it in a ram cradle and have it attached to a kuryakyn clutch perch mount. cheap and has worked for three yrs now. if it rains i either put a baggie over it or put it inside a kuzzie and put it in the tour pak. 

Hossamania

Quote from: mkd on October 07, 2018, 02:53:26 PM
i use a nuvi 2455 lmt and mount it in a ram cradle and have it attached to a kuryakyn clutch perch mount. cheap and has worked for three yrs now. if it rains i either put a baggie over it or put it inside a kuzzie and put it in the tour pak.

I've often wondered what happens with a phone or GPS if it starts raining and you can't stop and deal with it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

Quote from: Hossamania on October 07, 2018, 06:30:09 PM
Quote from: mkd on October 07, 2018, 02:53:26 PM

I've often wondered what happens with a phone or GPS if it starts raining and you can't stop and deal with it.

I have popped mine off the mount and stuffed it into my jacket pocket without stopping. Or I wrap it with a baggie if it looks like rain.

moose

when i go on trips I usually camp out at Sheratons or Hiltons and they usually have shower caps that would work in a pinch
Moose aka Glenn-

PoorUB

Quote from: moose on October 08, 2018, 01:54:43 PM
when i go on trips I usually camp out at Sheratons or Hiltons and they usually have shower caps that would work in a pinch

That is a good idea! My wife has some Glad bags with elastic around the opening. They look like a cheap, clear shower cap. Gotta check it out.