March 28, 2024, 10:35:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Remove bluing from pipes

Started by Lone Ranger, December 04, 2018, 06:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Ranger

What's the best way or product to get rid of blue pipes?

koko3052

Panzer

:agree: with KOKO, once blue, forever blue.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

kd

December 04, 2018, 06:51:30 PM #3 Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:16:10 PM by kd
No matter what anyone tells you, anything that will remove blue will also tarnish the chrome. It'll be abrasive.  Then you have to buff the chrome to (never) get it back to it's original sheen. That will remove some more finish. (and chrome life)  It will look clean again but never the same as the un-buffed sections. Thennnn, .....  you'll start the bike up and go for a putt and when you get home they'll be blue again.  It's the nature of the beast. It's best to learn to appreciate the patina.  :wink:  I got this from a friend.   :embarrassed:
KD

jls 64

Tried everything  now  i like the blue
js

Hossamania

I agree with all of the above. The only way to beat the blue is with heat shields.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Lone Ranger

That's what I thought. Guess I won't waste my money on any of the so called miracle polishes like Autosol or Out of the blue.

Hossamania

My drag pipes were basically black near the heads, blue as it progressed down, then yellow, finally chrome. I didn't mind, to me it shows a bike that is ridden.

jls 64

Do not spend  your time.and money.
js

tomboyjr

crock

Bead blast en then VHT. Choose your color and every spring after about 3 minutes  of masking "POOF" new pipes
Crock

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

chaos901

"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Pete_Vit

Quote from: chaos901 on December 05, 2018, 07:33:59 AM
What's wrong with the blue?
:up: pipe color tells how/if the A&F (ARF) is set correctly, Blue is good, Gold too lean  :soda:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Moparnut72

If you can develop a product to prevent the bluing you will become a rich man. Don't forget the get the patent. Honda solved the problem in the 70's, double walled pipes. Not a good solution though, the exhaust system was heavier than hell.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Lone Ranger

I've never posted a pic before so might not work.  May be too big.

Panzer

Dang there Lone Ranger, you sure that's not Preacher Son's garage, looks familiar.  :hyst:
Nice looking ride.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

hogpipes1

Blue job    another scam   worthless product.

Paniolo

Back in the 70s they made some kind of coating for the inside. It was supposed to prevent bluing. Not sure if it worked.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

98fxstc

Quote from: hogpipes1 on December 05, 2018, 06:19:17 PM
  Blue job    another scam   worthless product.

I've used Blue Job to fix discoloured pipes.
It's not easy and takes a lot of work
I had the mufflers off the bike and did them while I watched tv
It took hours but I got there
Not sure if I would be keen to do it again

Buglet

Blue Job works go here, it just takes a little time.

ricochet

Already mentioned was the ceramic coating on the inside to prevent blueing and I've heard of some using aluminum paint instead.  I tried the ceramic a long time ago on my knuck chop and it worked to some extent but I was always worried about it coming off.  Also already mentioned is the double wall piped Honda used.

On my 73 XLH I used 2 inch drag pipes lined with an 18 inch piece of stainless steel flex pipe from Auto Zone.  Find the right size and it'll slides in nicely using some force and anything like WD 40 or light oil for lubrication and still have the correct ID as a 1 3/4 pipe.  Weight is negligible.  The flex pipe itself is double walled.  Bigger issue was fitting the 2 in pipes around the oil tank without hitting.  Took some additional bending to get it just right but it's tight needing a dimple to clear.

ricochet

motorhogman

Quote from: Paniolo on December 05, 2018, 09:08:04 PM
Back in the 70s they made some kind of coating for the inside. It was supposed to prevent bluing. Not sure if it worked.

Old school trick from the 60's... It worked sometimes.  Fill the pipes with used motor oil.  Let them sit a few minutes.. Drain them out and install. Fire the engine up and run it down the road until the smoke stops.  It will smoke a little for a few rides but will eventually stop. I have seen it work on the early shovel heads.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

JW113

If you're heart set on removing the blue, you can made a dent in it with most chrome polishes (Blue Magic is my fav), but as stated, it takes a LOT of time and elbow grease. I've done it plenty of times, but I'm not 100% sure if it's removing the blue/yellow from the chrome, or just grinding off the chrome and exposing the polished nickel below it.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

I see you have a Thunderheader, and want to clean it up. I have one also, it gets blue, a little sooted at the cone, and generally a little beat up looking after a while. I cleaned mine up once using NeverDull, didn't spend a lot of time on it, just a quick polish on the bad spots, next ride it returned to the same. I now just embrace the discoloration and worry about more important things, like tires and brakes.