April 16, 2024, 12:13:52 AM

News:

M8 Pinging / Detonation Sounds ?

Started by HV, October 20, 2017, 08:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HV

May have been talked about in the past but I havent seen it....

Any one having Issues with M8s Pinging noises around 3000 Roll on ?  Got one Trike and a Street Glide doing it....both 18s ....HD is scratching their Heads.....talked to 3 Different Guys at the Mothership so far ......done a $hit load of tests ...they are down to adding Octane Boost ......FFS they are brand new Bikes ! ...Ya a Customer is going to want to carry a can of Boost with him all over the Country  :banghead:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Don D

Local guy here complains about the same on his 17 trike. He also says it is dead out of the hole. 100% stock

HV

Its pulling almost 5 Degrees out of the rear at times .....somethings not good..... :doh:
Skype HV.HTT

RXBOB

My 17 RG was pinging I put on a PV did some data logging pulled some timing in identified areas smoothed out the timing and its sweet

I would imagine that any half descent Dyno operator should be able to sort it out

HV

Quote from: RXBOB on October 20, 2017, 03:57:34 PM
My 17 RG was pinging I put on a PV did some data logging pulled some timing in identified areas smoothed out the timing and its sweet

I would imagine that any half descent Dyno operator should be able to sort it out

Not on a Brand New Bike ..... using only the HD Digital Tech Software  :wink:
Skype HV.HTT

Sunny Jim

They will pull timing as the engine gets hot.

Geezer_Glider

Interesting. I've put 13K miles on my 17 Ultra, all running 87 octane swamp swill. Only get a momentary rattle if I crowd it real low rpm (<1600) in a too high of gear by accident. Nothing at 3K rpm, even snapped open at 3K in 6th. Will be interesting to hear what is found. Engine has been running good, 45mpg on average, stone stock except breathers to a catch can.
Just saying,
R Meyer

thunderrat

I demo'd a 2018 Heritage at Tomahawk in September. They always have a nice self-guided route where you can twist the throttle if you want.  That bike ran like  :turd:  detonated like crazy when I got on it.  The two other 18's I rode did not do that and ran ok.

Bike31

Quote from: thunderrat on October 20, 2017, 07:56:19 PM
I demo'd a 2018 Heritage at Tomahawk in September. They always have a nice self-guided route where you can twist the throttle if you want.  That bike ran like  :turd:  detonated like crazy when I got on it.  The two other 18's I rode did not do that and ran ok.

What engines were they...107 or 114?
2017 Sportster 1200 C #79 since 1960

RXBOB

Quote from: HV on October 20, 2017, 04:37:51 PM

Didn't have that problem here down under at my dyno Operator

HV

Quote from: RXBOB on October 21, 2017, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: HV on October 20, 2017, 04:37:51 PM

Didn't have that problem here down under at my dyno Operator

What I ment was we have no way of tuning a Bike using the Harley Computer ......you would need a Tuner of some kind ....PV SERT Etc ...these are new bikes with no tuners ...
Skype HV.HTT

BVHOG

Interesting, I will be tuning an 18 trike this weekend and will be watching for detonation etc, awfully cool here to not sure if it's a legit test or not.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

HV

Was a bit cool here too ....so should be close....be interesting to see for sure
Skype HV.HTT

BVHOG

Quote from: HV on October 21, 2017, 01:23:20 PM
Was a bit cool here too ....so should be close....be interesting to see for sure
I pulled the factory cal with PV, will take a close look at the stock timing tables.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

HV

Check around 3000 ....if you roll on...then off ...then Hit it at just below 3000 it will start
Skype HV.HTT

1FSTRK

There is a learning curve with dual plugs.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

thunderrat

"What engines were they...107 or 114? "

They were all 107's

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Both the 107 and 114's have Knock Sensors. Perhaps something is defective?
Tom

HV

Update........after doing a lot of runs and saving them to the DT...we went through every reading we could find......Called the Factory a lot of times...sent them recordings...their answer /   Rider is not riding it properly..lol WTF .....I finally found the rear knock sensor had 0 Volts running......called the factory back told them to look at that part of the recordings....." OH thats not correct "   FFS   no $hit.....now the cold has set in...new Knock sensor back ordered....so it will be spring now before we see it that was the issue  :banghead:
Skype HV.HTT

harley_cruiser

Quote from: HV on November 21, 2017, 05:36:16 PM
Update........after doing a lot of runs and saving them to the DT...we went through every reading we could find......Called the Factory a lot of times...sent them recordings...their answer /  Rider is not riding it properly..lol WTF .....I finally found the rear knock sensor had 0 Volts running......called the factory back told them to look at that part of the recordings....." OH thats not correct "   FFS   no $hit.....now the cold has set in...new Knock sensor back ordered....so it will be spring now before we see it that was the issue  :banghead:
Why is it always my fault :hyst:

Bike31

Quote from: HV on November 21, 2017, 05:36:16 PM
Update........after doing a lot of runs and saving them to the DT...we went through every reading we could find......Called the Factory a lot of times...sent them recordings...their answer /   Rider is not riding it properly..lol WTF .....I finally found the rear knock sensor had 0 Volts running......called the factory back told them to look at that part of the recordings....." OH thats not correct "   FFS   no $hit.....now the cold has set in...new Knock sensor back ordered....so it will be spring now before we see it that was the issue  :banghead:

Was the factory voice Paki or Indian?
2017 Sportster 1200 C #79 since 1960

HV

Skype HV.HTT

SLAATY

HV, been following your thread w/interest. With KS's there shouldn't be any more than temporary knock, obviously. It's strange that these are back ordered?? With GM, if it was a new vehicle down they'd pull parts off the line.

Might be interesting to see if KS's now have an 'A' designation...

HV

Because this is now our Fall/Winter time...the Bikes are away till spring...so the MOCO likely sees to rush to send us parts......FYI we also have a Demo Bike that a customer reported pinging too.....its also stored so I cant even check the Voltages on it till Spring....all on Hold for now  :emoGroan:
Skype HV.HTT

Moparnut72

If KD4's are on back order how in the hell are they building new bikes. Leaving them off?
Zkk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.