S&S cam plate and oil pump for the M8's

Started by No Cents, June 25, 2018, 09:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Cents

I got an e-mail from S&S this morning.

[attach=0]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

BigMo

Yeah, saw that in a notification msg this morning....nice set up. I just did some mods to mine, but work constraints i cudnt wait any longer and went w Feuling plate and HP+ pump. Feuling quality was like jewelry...but im using S&S components including camshaft....so im a big fan
BigMo

happyman

Quote from: No Cents on June 25, 2018, 09:10:12 AM
I got an e-mail from S&S this morning.

[attach=0]
hopefully S&S can keep the oil from building up in the crank case . and stop the areriating of the oil too.  Seems  they have there poop in a group over the last 40 years. maybe there is hope. HD still needs to give the people a motor that will last regardless.  no excuse. what is the definition of  Fraud? 

les

Can you adjust the oil pressure like with the twin cam plate? 

Thermodyne

It looks to have an adjustment screw like the Twincam pump. 

Is it a three stage too?

HV

HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

05Fatboy

Are the M8s having oil pump problems if they were built after 10/17? Didn't Harley update the oil pump and fix the problem?

HV

Yes.......Some still having issues with the new Pumps.....and......No Id say they havent fixed it yet ...
Skype HV.HTT

-deuced-

Sacrificial wear plate on the camplate  :up: ,  block off plate, hmmm............
Oil and water designator on the pump  :scratch::idea: ah, there's two different pumps.

Pumps are 3 stage and fit oem camplates and camplates fit oem pumps but no more than 0.003 pinion rumout.
What kinda runout are you guys seeing on M8 cranks?

msnyder

I came up with a little less than .002"  Checked when installing a CR460 cam and lifters. (and One of the MANY improved oil pumps).  I was almost afraid to check it!  I had a 96" TC years ago than came up .017 I think.  also found 17 ozs. of oil in the flywheel area when I pulled the plug.  Was a "not so dry" sump system. A little help from R&R, Darkhorse and S&S cured that. And about broke the piggy bank. There,s nothing wrong with a Harley that can,t be fixed.....Max

HV

Checked a few now ( Sumping Issues )  :crook:    Most are around .002   most Ive seen was .003
Skype HV.HTT

BigT

I was told today it will be another month before the oil cooled pumps are available.  I'm bummed.  Wonder why the date keeps moving?

bigcraig

Quote from: BigT on July 10, 2018, 03:01:35 PM
I was told today it will be another month before the oil cooled pumps are available.  I'm bummed.  Wonder why the date keeps moving?

My guess is the demand.

Also, when I inquired with S&S about my order, I was told they were refining the install instructions.

KTA600

Jumping in and doing my water cooled m8 in the morning.....no problems but have always used the S&S pump and plate in the twinks with excellent results.  Stable oil pressure alone was worth it. So figure do it now as it's such a smile mod .I see the rotors on the water cooled ones are thinner than oil cooled.   
Hopefully goes smooth like twinks...

92flhtcu

KTA-Let us know how it goes/went with the job, thanks
Need a bigger garage

KTA600

July 13, 2018, 07:11:21 PM #15 Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:24:28 PM by KTA600
Quote from: 92flhtcu on July 13, 2018, 05:25:20 PM
KTA-Let us know how it goes/went with the job, thanks
ordered it from my supplier had it in the next morning. Installed in afternoon after done with customer stuff.
Super simple job. Apart in 25 min and have never cracked open and m8... took my time putting the pump and plate in
Bout and hour 10 min with wiping off finger prints.S&S destructions pretty damn good  I don't know how to post pictures. Not much different than the twinks I have done with S&S pumps and plates
Just dropped header down a couple inches..didn't even cut wire ties to O2s
Never even took A/c off
.Put bout 325 miles on it today
Funny thing I really think it runs a bit better
My stock cam plate has wear on the bottom side of cam hole. 6300 miles.stock plate doesn't look like it would last very long with a bit more valve spring .
Bet it's the cam tensioner holding timing steady making it run a bit better with more stable oil pressure.
I do know valve train is a bit quieter .  Not a noise cold or hot start
But it was never bad... but it's better.  Hey for 620 bucks and less than 2 hours
Worth it to me.... I'll do the cam after I see more testing this winter.
I am happy with it.  3 rotor pump that's got screens and a bit better tolerances .

Nastytls

Given how many iterations HD has for the M8 pump I can't believe they haven't just designed a three rotor pump.

KTA600

Quote from: Nastytls on July 14, 2018, 04:55:20 AM
Given how many iterations HD has for the M8 pump I can't believe they haven't just designed a three rotor pump.
You would have thought they would have given enough room for a 4 stage pump
But that's not the only deal. The camplate is going too be a limiter
Too. Mine has wear at 6500 miles.  Remember single cam
Moving 8 valves. Not 2 cams moving 2 valves each
I would like to see the wear on a 60k bike as they are out there
Ran across 2 couples in Utah both past that mark and had no idea of any oil
Problems. They loved them.  Kinda sold me after renting s few

HV

Quote from: KTA600 on July 14, 2018, 09:12:10 AM

They are out there for sure....had a guy in to the shop last week from Oklahoma 17 Ultra M8  73000 Miles ...no issues..UNTIL this day.... Stalling...Running Hot....Rattling in Rear CYL....I took 17 OZ out of the Sump......Yup shes done
Skype HV.HTT

rbabos

I was wondering about the cam bore in the plate myself. Even the TC have measureable wear in the bore on lower miles if you go looking for it with a mike. Always felt the feed hole was too small to create a good oil wedge. Nothing wrong with running a cam in the bore like that but it needs good oil flow. Then again with all the sumping crap, in this case might not be advisable as that would increase it.
Ron

happyman

July 15, 2018, 08:23:59 AM #20 Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:46:21 PM by FSG
Quote from: HV on July 15, 2018, 07:24:25 AM

They are out there for sure....had a guy in to the shop last week from Oklahoma 17 Ultra M8  73000 Miles ...no issues..UNTIL this day.... Stalling...Running Hot....Rattling in Rear CYL....I took 17 OZ out of the Seump......Yup shes done

there more than likely will be a lot of these bikes having issues  later on and when warranty is gone. the owner  in too may cases be making payments on the bike and then trying to save money for a new motor.  will be many more issues down the road unfortunately. many have had multiple motors,  as some have had other issues going on. all of which to date have not seen or read about a real fix. hope it is coming soon to be sure 

happyman

Quote from: HV on July 15, 2018, 07:24:25 AM

They are out there for sure....had a guy in to the shop last week from Oklahoma 17 Ultra M8  73000 Miles ...no issues..UNTIL this day.... Stalling...Running Hot....Rattling in Rear CYL....I took 17 OZ out of the Sump......Yup shes done

that's a lot of miles in  not a lot of time

HV

Ya a Lot of Miles...Buddy sold his house...cars etc...said that bike is all he owns now...Bought it last April and has been on the road every since
Skype HV.HTT

happyman

Quote from: HV on July 15, 2018, 03:56:55 PM
Ya a Lot of Miles...Buddy sold his house...cars etc...said that bike is all he owns now...Bought it last April and has been on the road every since
had some fun while it lasted  I bet.

KTA600

The oil cooled pump is available ....installed one yesterday.   Side note I have had crank cases with as much as 14oz in them and it had 4 oz next day... I don't know what the proper procedure is before u check it.....not a dealer or pro engine builder on this stuff at all....