April 19, 2024, 02:12:17 PM

News:

S&S cam plate and oil pump for the M8's

Started by No Cents, June 25, 2018, 09:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

Quote from: KTA600 on July 20, 2018, 02:30:59 PM
The oil cooled pump is available ....installed one yesterday.   Side note I have had crank cases with as much as 14oz in them and it had 4 oz next day... I don't know what the proper procedure is before u check it.....not a dealer or pro engine builder on this stuff at all....
Curious who did you get the pump and plate from?

happyman

Quote from: KTA600 on July 20, 2018, 02:30:59 PM
The oil cooled pump is available ....installed one yesterday.   Side note I have had crank cases with as much as 14oz in them and it had 4 oz next day... I don't know what the proper procedure is before u check it.....not a dealer or pro engine builder on this stuff at all....
heck of it  is if you get  8 oz out, it seem from what I have read, another 8pz  in the bottom of cases  if you pull the plug in the case which is way lower than the  sensor you pull to do the check.  that  means there in reality a lot of oil in the dry  sump motor.   then what ever happens the dang thing will show  maybe I\8th " on the stick  way below add mark and the motor is boiling  and not able to pull itself and it smoking hot. you feel it on your leg and right boot.  all this can happen just riding along at cruseing speeds, all of a sudden the motor is hammering. its all over but the tow. nuff to p/o  da pope!

Durwood

On my M8 RGS, after the sensor hole quit draining I had an additional 5oz from the case plug for a total of 8oz.

happyman

Quote from: Durwood on July 21, 2018, 06:17:52 AM
On my M8 RGS, after the sensor hole quit draining I had an additional 5oz from the case plug for a total of 8oz.

how much came out when the sensor was pulled.  if the bike was not sumping it makes sense .  I gather yours is a one that does not sump?  lucky you.   

Durwood

Quote from: happyman on July 21, 2018, 07:25:36 AM

how much came out when the sensor was pulled.  if the bike was not sumping it makes sense .  I gather yours is a one that does not sump?  lucky you.
Mine isn't sumping. With the sensor pulled it drained 3oz, then add the 5oz that drained from the case plug for a total of 8oz.

I would like to see less, maybe this pump and plate will help.

happyman

Quote from: Durwood on July 21, 2018, 02:07:57 PM
Quote from: happyman on July 21, 2018, 07:25:36 AM

Mine isn't sumping. With the sensor pulled it drained 3oz, then add the 5oz that drained from the case plug for a total of 8oz.

I would like to see less, maybe this pump and plate will help.
yes like maybe a few drops since it is called a dry sump motor!

HD/Wrench

So 32 oz total is an issue  :nix:  HA HA just delt with that , then had a bike that snapped the cam bolt and the cam  ran into the lifters and the case,

rbabos

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on July 31, 2018, 05:44:21 AM
So 32 oz total is an issue  :nix:  HA HA just delt with that , then had a bike that snapped the cam bolt and the cam  ran into the lifters and the case,
Heard of the cam bolts snapping before. Why is that Steve. :idunno: Should be no real load on it other then clamping.
Ron

HD/Wrench

There is 35 ftlbs  on it   Funny had two in one week , one a twin cam I built over 14 months ago  that came in for hot running . it had piston noise pulled it down sure enough out of round signs of heat on the under side pulled oilers  and found them to be plugged . One tiny piece would stick to the magnet. Pulled cam chest apart found broken cam bolt  No idea how long it was that way but engine had over 10,000 on it since the build , then the M8 . :emoGroan:

New cam bolts going into every build at this point  ..

happyman

Had cam bolts on m8 snap twice  same motor.  Was an issue of balance. Forget all details but the marks were on the balances but not on the shaft and that was an issue that would cause cam bolts to snap

KTA600

After 2 cam bolts broke and nobody else is seeing it? Maybe get a new torque wrench or put the impact down. I will say torquing that one too 34 is a bit much for my liking. They both get loctite  and 18 on crank 25 on cam.
Have to agree on new bolts if your torquing too spec
That's to much stretch..

happyman

Quote from: KTA600 on August 03, 2018, 04:48:00 AM
After 2 cam bolts broke and nobody else is seeing it? Maybe get a new torque wrench or put the impact down. I will say torquing that one too 34 is a bit much for my liking. They both get loctite  and 18 on crank 25 on cam.
That's to much stretch..
it has been seen by others and yes the people doing the work understand and use the proper tools and torque values and sequence along with  the rest.   

happyman

Quote from: KTA600 on August 03, 2018, 04:48:00 AM
That's to much stretch..
should have mentioned it was a  traveling tech from  HD that did the work. and yes he did know what he was doing.  and yes he did have the tool   and the ability. did know his way around and the how and why  .

HD/Wrench

I use a snap on electronic that zeros every time . and I have a wrench that is std that was certified on re cal and I have tested them together . and I had one break  with over 10,000 miles on it  :nix:. no idea why and I would never run that much less on the tq spec .

Again it seems to be not common per say but it does happen , new bolt or reuse the old bolt seem to not matter .. I am going to start using the allen head version on all builds from now on

rbabos

Quote from: happyman on July 31, 2018, 07:44:37 AM
Had cam bolts on m8 snap twice  same motor.  Was an issue of balance. Forget all details but the marks were on the balances but not on the shaft and that was an issue that would cause cam bolts to snap
Can't see how a balancer out of time , removed and thrown across the street would have any effect on a cam bolt. Something must be putting load cycles on the bolt during operation.
Ron

BigT

Anybody hear of the oil cooled pumps and plates shipping yet?  I've emailed S&S numerous times and keep being told "in a couple of weeks"

Prostock

I received a set two days ago through drag.  Ordered it 3 weeks ago. they had around 100 being shipped to them and had 60 pre sold when we ordered it.  I am assuming they were all sold before they received them.

BVHOG

Got a plate last week from Drag and have another on order said to be next month,  As for the cam bolts I am using the Feuling kit with the arp fasteners, local dealer has had 4 come in this year with bolts broke or turned out.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

BigT

All set.  Just picked it up.  Three months of having to keep the rpms low so it doesn't sump are over! Kinda sucked having 117" and I had to drive like an old lady lol

KTA600

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on August 03, 2018, 06:49:48 AM
I use a snap on electronic that zeros every time . and I have a wrench that is std that was certified on re cal and I have tested them together . and I had one break  with over 10,000 miles on it  :nix:. no idea why and I would never run that much less on the tq spec .

Again it seems to be not common per say but it does happen , new bolt or reuse the old bolt seem to not matter .. I am going to start using the allen head version on all builds from now on
Well it's got over 10k on it now so 4K or so with the water cooled SS OIL PUMP AND CAMPLATE I installed while back.After reading some of your tech I think I will trust your judgement and go in the cam chest replace the bolt.  I did see one bolt that bottomed out on a aftermarket cam. So going to measure that to see how close and how much stretch on used bolt.  Maybe pull plate and pump take a look.....can't post pictures but I'll measure for wear .  No problems but I do like to tinker. Lol
Best new bike I have owned...cam it this winter

yobtaf103

Quote from: bigcraig on July 10, 2018, 04:01:42 PM
Quote from: BigT on July 10, 2018, 03:01:35 PM
I was told today it will be another month before the oil cooled pumps are available.  I'm bummed.  Wonder why the date keeps moving?

My guess is the demand.

Also, when I inquired with S&S about my order, I was told they were refining the install instructions.

New batch has no wear plate!
Why the new instructions where needed

BigT

Installed newly released oil cooled pump and plate yesterday and put some higher rpm miles on it. I didn't notice any drag on the motor but the oil level seemed a tad lower than expected when I got home.  The motor cooled down over night and I started it and let it idle upright for a couple of minutes and rechecked oil still low. Pulled sensor bottom of case and got  just under 11oz out. Not happy. Going to pull it back apart tomorrow and check to see if I might of screwed something up which is doubtful.

Ohio HD

That's not encouraging. Never hurts to double check things, but I agree, probably not an install issue.

KTA600

September 18, 2018, 05:39:30 AM #48 Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:51:04 AM by KTA600
Quote from: BigT on September 17, 2018, 05:29:04 PM
Installed newly released oil cooled pump and plate yesterday and put some higher rpm miles on it. I didn’t notice any drag on the motor but the oil level seemed a tad lower than expected when I got home.  The motor cooled down over night and I started it and let it idle upright for a couple of minutes and rechecked oil still low. Pulled sensor bottom of case and got  just under 11oz out. Not happy. Going to pull it back apart tomorrow and check to see if I might of screwed something up which is doubtful.
You have been running with oil in crankcase since May but no heat or problems other than pulling sensor? To be honest I have not had any problems but was aware when I bought may 23 . Checked several times....3-4 oz one time....13oz next time 7oz and so on......I don't even bother anymore after SS pump and plate. But you went to 117?  I would be tempted to check  the piston jets( MOCO name for coolers). Also the check valve if your having no trouble other than to much oil . ( might be Drain back on and oil cooled) I have seen one "piston jet" damaged by a dealer install.    No on hands experience with either.  But may just pull that check valve and look at it.
I also only run 3.6 -3.8 quarts of oil in the 3 m8 s I am playing with( add mark on stick) use no oil in the 3000-5000 mile oil changes.

BigT

I just talked to S&S and questioned the amount of oil I found in the sump. He asked me if I had a sumping problem before I installed their pump. When I said I did he said call HD there's a problem with their cases that their pump doesn't solve the problem. Would be nice if they happen to mention that in their ad!