April 25, 2024, 10:41:01 PM

News:

S&S cam plate and oil pump for the M8's

Started by No Cents, June 25, 2018, 09:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yobtaf103

Quote from: BigT on September 18, 2018, 11:19:42 AM
I just talked to S&S and questioned the amount of oil I found in the sump. He asked me if I had a sumping problem before I installed their pump. When I said I did he said call HD there's a problem with their cases that their pump doesn't solve the problem. Would be nice if they happen to mention that in their ad!

H'mm thought it was marketed on more efficient scavenging by its design ?

Adam76

Quote from: KTA600 on July 20, 2018, 02:30:59 PM
The oil cooled pump is available ....installed one yesterday.   Side note I have had crank cases with as much as 14oz in them and it had 4 oz next day... I don't know what the proper procedure is before u check it.....not a dealer or pro engine builder on this stuff at all....
Sorry if this is a stupid question  but if you have a  18 model m8 softail,  obviously it doesn't have the latest oil  pump manufactured by HD.... So my question is,  do you need to upgrade the pump?  And can you upgrade the pump only without having to put an entire aftermarket cam plate in like the ones fueling and S&S are offering?  Can't stretch my budget that far.
Thanks

BigT

Quote from: Adam76 on November 24, 2018, 06:32:58 PM
The oil cooled pump is available ....installed one yesterday.   Side note I have had crank cases with as much as 14oz in them and it had 4 oz next day... I don't know what the proper procedure is before u check it.....not a dealer or pro engine builder on this stuff at all....
Sorry if this is a stupid question  but if you have a  18 model m8 softail,  obviously it doesn't have the latest oil  pump manufactured by HD.... So my question is,  do you need to upgrade the pump?  And can you upgrade the pump only without having to put an entire aftermarket cam plate in like the ones fueling and S&S are offering?  Can't stretch my budget that far.
Thanks

All you would need is the new cover plate with the seal about $30

Adam76

Quote from: BigT on November 25, 2018, 04:52:36 AM
Quote from: Adam76 on November 24, 2018, 06:32:58 PM
Thanks

All you would need is the new cover plate with the seal about $30
Awesome,  too easy. Thanks BigT. 👍

So it wasn't the pump itself that was upgraded,  just the cover seal?

DTTJGlide

The pump was last upgraded in 10-17 so if your bikes build date is after or near that date it should be the latest. That being said the oil pump didn't fix the issue for the most part, so you should be good with just using the cover with seal, if you're not having any problems & aren't already in the cam chest I wouldn't open it up replace anything. I did a cam change & asked FM if I should replace the pump & they said they only did it if there was a prior problem, I replaced it anyway for insurance just so I didn't have to go back in, the pump is about $100 at discount. It's your call, but if you don't have any problems I'd leave it alone.
'

Adam76

Quote from: DTTJGlide on November 25, 2018, 06:30:29 PM
The pump was last upgraded in 10-17 so if your bikes build date is after or near that date it should be the latest. That being said the oil pump didn't fix the issue for the most part, so you should be good with just using the cover with seal, if you're not having any problems & aren't already in the cam chest I wouldn't open it up replace anything. I did a cam change & asked FM if I should replace the pump & they said they only did it if there was a prior problem, I replaced it anyway for insurance just so I didn't have to go back in, the pump is about $100 at discount. It's your call, but if you don't have any problems I'd leave it alone.
'
Early 18 build date,  so I should be sweet.  Thanks again for the info. 👍

Nastytls

That pump seal is not from 2017, it's only been out for a few months AFAIK.