No Cents

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attachimg=3]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

No Cents

1FSTRK

No hp numbers or graphs but they may actually have grown the engine big enough to start using the big ports in the M-8 heads.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

turboprop

Nikasil coated cylinder liners?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

FSG

No Cents

Gary...I tried to copy and paste the web site...but I couldn't get it to.
This guy has a big history in the Nascar world...for many years.

Ohio HD

Ohio HD

I bet Randy Torgeson can make some nice iron cylinders for this. That would be the route I'd prefer.   

FSG

Quote from: No Cents on July 07, 2018, 02:58:06 PM

interesting how they have done the code on the site

1FSTRK

What is his name?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

FSG

Quote from: 1FSTRK on July 07, 2018, 03:37:13 PM

What is his name?

Mike Ege

Nastytls

Is Nikasil really the problem or was it the butchers selling it? As an F1 fan, I don't have a ton of respect for NASCAR, but I'm sure this guys knows more than the infamous HD Nikasil guy.

Don D

Or was it the aluminum cylinders with no sleeves? I don't know.
Nikasil left a bad taste in a lot of mouths but this was not limited to Harley. BMW and Porsche had bad spells with it too. That said many use it today successfully.

TorQuePimp

So the p3R flywheels aren't a proprietary item then?

Neat stuff

koko3052

Just by "looking" at those cyls., it seems hard to believe that they will cool "better". :fish:

rbabos

Quote from: koko3052 on July 07, 2018, 08:24:07 PM
Just by "looking" at those cyls., it seems hard to believe that they will cool "better". :fish:
Same thought. Those fins are about as useless as you can get.
Ron

No Cents

Quote from: 1FSTRK on July 07, 2018, 03:37:13 PM

What is his name?

[attach=0]

Raleigh111

July 08, 2018, 08:08:40 AM #19 Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:23:36 AM by Raleigh111
Nikasil coated on steel sleeve? Does that not negate the positive of transferring heat directly through the aluminum? Nikasil is a great product but some plating processes leave a lot to be desired and knowledge on finishing Nikasil. I would think the steel sleeve would have to coated and then pressed into the cylinder due to the chemical used to plate the steel would harm the aluminum.

Knowledge on Nikasil good read great guy.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3890732

He has been working with Nikasil on a daily basis for many many years.
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

kd

Quote from: Raleigh111 on July 08, 2018, 08:08:40 AM
Nikasil coated on steel sleeve? Does that not negate the positive of transferring heat directly through the aluminum? Nikasil is a great product but some plating processes leave a lot to be desired and knowledge on finishing Nikasil. I would think the steel sleeve would have to coated and then pressed into the cylinder due to the chemical used to plate the steel would harm the aluminum.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-401594.html

https://www.snowest.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-433563.html

Are these discussions about liquid cooled cylinders? If not, it may not be relative to the HD stuff. Liquid cooling is a game chager with cylinder expansion control etc..
KD

Raleigh111

Quote from: kd on July 08, 2018, 08:16:08 AM

Are these discussions about liquid cooled cylinders? If not, it may not be relative to the HD stuff. Liquid cooling is a game chager with cylinder expansion control etc..

Yes i agree but found the finishing process very interesting. Since the topic of failure  came up i thought i would share this info. Honing a Nikasil cylinder is honing a Nikasil cylinder.  Read if you like or not.

Don D

The article is interesting. Ring seal, piston and ring life, and oil control are all critical.
Baby with the bath water as far as Nikasil in my opinion. Lets wait and see how these motors hold then decide. This guy obviously brings a new set of eyes and experience to the HD world and his approach is fresh. Give it a shot

Raleigh111

Quote from: HD Street Performance on July 08, 2018, 08:30:43 AM
The article is interesting. Ring seal, piston and ring life, and oil control are all critical.

The guy just about went out of business standing behind his work which in today's world is very admirable. I sent him a set of brand new cylinders from the factory before the motor was ever run to have him finish them better then OEM. Very interesting about how porous the finish is and cross hatching is the enemy.

Back to topic the steel cylinders liners coated baffles me? A lot better minds then me have a reason and i would like to hear the reasoning? Defiantly not to cut costs.

kd

Quote from: Raleigh111 on July 08, 2018, 08:28:34 AM
Quote from: kd on July 08, 2018, 08:16:08 AM

Yes i agree but found the finishing process very interesting. Since the topic of failure  came up i thought i would share this info. Honing a Nikasil cylinder is honing a Nikasil cylinder.  Read if you like or not.

Please don't misinterpret my post. I do find the info very interesting and have been following the nik development. It would be interesting to know why there has been some successful use of nik cylinders on Harleys (although it seems minimal) and why some have been repeated failures. 
KD