April 25, 2024, 01:08:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Leading Edge 151"er

Started by No Cents, July 07, 2018, 12:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raleigh111

KD agree, and i did not misinterpret. All good.
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

Sunny Jim

My 107 Nik kit went on to 2 different bikes, with great success.

yobtaf103

Hmm looks like the SE M8 hi flow intake on that black RGS

kd

Welcome to the forum. That's a heck of a first post. Thanks for signing up and joining into this discussion. I hope you will find the level of discussion satisfactory. With the type of development you describe, I have to ask if you started this project with a twin cam engine (before the M* was introduced)?  I find your description of the day to day street use of this engine interesting. Can you elaborate on the compression and cam specs to give us an idea where it performs best (if that really matters with a 151).  Maybe a dyno sheet and AFR graph?   Lastly, is the machining / assembly process proprietary too? 

Sorry to pile it on you like this but I suspect others will be asking the same questions eventually.
KD

Nastytls

Thats a lot of stroke, where does it safely top out at RPM wise?

It says that you've developed your own clutch? Is it only available with the kit or as a stand alone?

It says that you are not using the factory system to get oil to the top end, how are you getting it there?

Thanks.

Ohio HD

I'm assuming that the OEM head castings are used, but modified for the cam and displacement needs? Stock valve sizes?

K4FXD

Is it just me?

I cannot find anyone with less than 300 posts posting on this thread.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

PoorUB

Look harder, yobtaf103, 240 posts, but what does that have to do with anything?

What happened to the post from the guy that claimed to be the builder of the 151"??? :missed:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

koko3052

Yes.... there were 2 posts going last night with the builder chiming in...can't seem to find any of it now. :scratch:

Hossamania

Quote from: koko3052 on August 02, 2018, 06:16:55 PM
Yes.... there were 2 posts going last night with the builder chiming in...can't seem to find any of it now. :scratch:

Probably seen as advertising for the company.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

ecir50

I read the post as a discussion not advertisement, thought that was allowed.

PoorUB

The posts were removed, some considered them advertising.

Hossamania

Quote from: ecir50 on August 02, 2018, 07:30:45 PM
I read the post as a discussion not advertisement, thought that was allowed.

I thought it discussion and info also (I did not see the second one), but the admin makes their own interpretation, and it is their site to do as they see fit. I hope LE151 chimes back in with some info.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Will-Run

I thought they were both, interesting and informative. I am referring to the builder's reply, to the questions and
misunderstandings . I would like to hear his reply, to the rest of the rest of the questions asked. Might be a viable
replacement engine. One that won't Sump, Slump, Puke or Fry. Somebody has to do it. Let's take a look.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

rageglide

5 fins... 

Every BMW motorcycle made since the 80s uses nikasil.  Air cooled, oil cooled(heads), and now water cooled(heads).  Pretty sure Japanese bikes are all Nikasil.

Only a Harley has the long stroke with more scuff than a short stroke engine.

Hiro is building a T-Man 135" with Nikasil cylinders to run at Bonneville this year, chasing 250mph.  Probably won't put 100k miles on those cylinders tho...

PoorUB

Quote from: rageglide on August 03, 2018, 08:09:37 PM
5 fins... 

Every BMW motorcycle made since the 80s uses nikasil.  Air cooled, oil cooled(heads), and now water cooled(heads).  Pretty sure Japanese bikes are all Nikasil.

Only a Harley has the long stroke with more scuff than a short stroke engine.

Hiro is building a T-Man 135" with Nikasil cylinders to run at Bonneville this year, chasing 250mph.  Probably won't put 100k miles on those cylinders tho...

You would be wrong there. Many on the metrics run High silicon aluminum alloy blocks with no liners. Think back to the Chevy Vega, but the Japanese did i much better!

Nastytls

August 04, 2018, 04:26:00 AM #41 Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:23:48 AM by Nastytls
His post stated emphatically that they were not Nikasil cylinders, they were aluminum with steel liners. He also claimed that they did lots of testing and that the oddly designed cylinder fins cooled very well and that the engine ran cooler than stock... if true, quite a feat for 151Ci. As I recall, it had quite a long, stroke somewhere around 5" so it was very under-square. It sounded like their own line of custom cams, not off the shelf stuff. I don't remember much else of what he said other than I believe he said they had 4K miles on their test bike.

Will-Run

:up: :up: How can we get him to elaborate more on this, without being banned for advertising?.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

K4FXD

August 04, 2018, 11:17:36 AM #43 Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:08:04 PM by K4FXD
A simple google search brings up the leading edge web site.

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

wfolarry

Cylinders Barrels

The cylinders barrels are machined in the USA from an aerospace grade billet Aluminum alloy. The unique fin design is based on computer modeling and CFD analysis, resulting in improved air cooling. The cylinder barrels are manufactured by Darton from a specific steel alloy material. I want to make clear that there is NO Nikasil.

1FSTRK

Quote from: wfolarry on August 04, 2018, 11:31:52 AM
Cylinders Barrels

The cylinders barrels are machined in the USA from an aerospace grade billet Aluminum alloy. The unique fin design is based on computer modeling and CFD analysis, resulting in improved air cooling. The cylinder barrels are manufactured by Darton from a specific steel alloy material. I want to make clear that there is NO Nikasil.

Interesting, the description in reply #1 directly from the web site states;

"aircraft-grade steel sleeves coated with our proprietary mix of Nikasil nickel/carbide/silicon plating." 

Years ago there was a commercial for an orange breakfast drink that said "it's better than orange juice BECAUSE it is half orange juice"
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

wfolarry

I am the Director of Engineering at Leading Edge Racing Engines and will like to clarify many questions regarding our M8, 151 CID kit.

To start, there is lots of misinformation on the website and I am in the process to correct the website in the next days

1FSTRK

Quote from: wfolarry on August 04, 2018, 02:05:46 PM
I am the Director of Engineering at Leading Edge Racing Engines and will like to clarify many questions regarding our M8, 151 CID kit.

To start, there is lots of misinformation on the website and I am in the process to correct the website in the next days

Now that statement I can understand.
Thank you for posting it.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

sfmichael

August 04, 2018, 02:34:32 PM #48 Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:40:10 PM by sfmichael
Quote from: No Cents on July 07, 2018, 12:38:23 PM
[attach=0]

note the P3 crank

Wow  :dgust:....this could move up my M8 purchase timeline  :chop:
Colorado Springs, CO.

koko3052

As was posted back a bit, and deleted, this kit/engine was going to be shown at Sturgis this year....has anyone seen it there?
I asked a friend that was going to look for it, get printed info, etc. when he went, but he reported back that he couldn't find it....did anyone find it there? :scratch: