April 24, 2024, 05:30:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

head gasket leak

Started by 14Frisco, July 22, 2018, 11:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14Frisco

Has anyone experienced head gasket leaks on their M8?

My buddy has a 2017 CVO 114" bagger.  The latest issue with his bike is a head gasket leak and he took it to the dealer.  They can't get to it for another a couple of weeks, they say, but ordered a gasket kit AND a new head...

Ordering up a new head before even taking a look at it sounds like they may have seen this before.

Rockout Rocker Products

Guy on HDF had a rear let go on a 107 RK.

Also swears up & down that when in for service the dealer flashed a new tune & now the bike's a dog.... dealer denies it   :idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

hogpipes1

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on July 22, 2018, 06:32:57 PM

Also swears up & down that when in for service the dealer flashed a new tune & now the bike's a dog.... dealer denies it   :idunno:

Can you take the bike into another  dealer /indy and see  if the box been flashed and which tune.?

14Frisco

The dealer finally got to it... and a stud had pulled out of the case.  Their initial statement was they have to replace the case.  He's had a slew of issues with his CVO bike (oil pump replaced a couple of times, throttle body replaced, TPS replaced, etc.) Needless to say he is not too happy and considering his options.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: 14Frisco on August 03, 2018, 10:55:29 AM
The dealer finally got to it... and a stud had pulled out of the case.  Their initial statement was they have to replace the case.  He's had a slew of issues with his CVO bike (oil pump replaced a couple of times, throttle body replaced, TPS replaced, etc.) Needless to say he is not too happy and considering his options.
:pop: A Pan, Pan - Shovel, a Shovel, Evo, Twinkie.... sorry I could not resist being Friday and all...  :hyst:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

Quote from: Pete_Vit on August 03, 2018, 10:58:54 AM
:pop: A Pan, Pan - Shovel, a Shovel, Evo, Twinkie.... sorry I could not resist being Friday and all...  :hyst:

Don't forget BMW!
I'm sorry to hear of all the trouble your friend is having, it would certainly sour me on the bike, that is for sure.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on August 03, 2018, 11:01:03 AM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on August 03, 2018, 10:58:54 AM

Don't forget BMW!
I'm sorry to hear of all the trouble your friend is having, it would certainly sour me on the bike, that is for sure.
:embarrassed: - I am also sorry for all his trouble, I've had issues with a used bike, I can't imagine having those issues now with a new bike  :sick:

PoorUB

Sounds like trade in time, trade for a used, low mileage, Twin Cam. :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

HV

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on July 22, 2018, 06:32:57 PM

Dealer most likely didnt do a thing to it... Dayum thing is likely Sumping  :banghead:   
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

14Frisco

Their initial statement was they have to replace the case.

Just to follow up on this - he got a new motor.

Hossamania

Quote from: 14Frisco on August 19, 2018, 02:47:36 PM

As well he should.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

suprsnake

I just joined this forum and have been reading thru things.  I had a head gasket leak on the rear cylinder on my 2017 Road Glide Special at 12k miles. The dealer said the head stud on left rear corner had either been installed incorrectly or had backed out. It took 2 weeks to get it in and 2 more weeks to get parts and repair but they did fix it. I ran the bike from Lexington Va. to Titusville Pa. With the head gasket puking oil to get it home.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: suprsnake on November 07, 2018, 06:55:11 AM
I just joined this forum and have been reading thru things.  I had a head gasket leak on the rear cylinder on my 2017 Road Glide Special at 12k miles. The dealer said the head stud on left rear corner had either been installed incorrectly or had backed out. It took 2 weeks to get it in and 2 more weeks to get parts and repair but they did fix it. I ran the bike from Lexington Va. to Titusville Pa. With the head gasket puking oil to get it home.
:sick: that sucks, 100,000 miles -  that's when my EVO  just started to leak from the head gasket

les

Quote from: 14Frisco on August 19, 2018, 02:47:36 PM

That's a pretty impressive make-good.

Bpeer1

Quote from: Pete_Vit on November 07, 2018, 07:19:40 AM
:sick: that sucks, 100,000 miles -  that's when my EVO  just started to leak from the head gasket
I'm thinking the Evo was the best engine HD has ever made

rbabos

Quote from: Bpeer1 on November 29, 2018, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on November 07, 2018, 07:19:40 AM
I'm thinking the Evo was the best engine HD has ever made
That's debatable. I think the Revolution is best by far and Sportster second. Ironically both intergrated gear boxes, not that that matters.

Ron

dogger

I really wanted one of those M8's when they were first introduced. I planed to sell my old 01 RG and the K16 to buy a new HD. I'm soooo giad I waited.