March 28, 2024, 04:07:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

10 oz.transmission fluid

Started by hd06, September 18, 2018, 05:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd06

The talk is if the trans is low on oil it will not damage it, how low does it have to be to damage it. is 10oz. low enough.   

1FSTRK

First we would have to define damage. On the other hand the engineers that designed the trans and the motor company that built it have already defined how much oil it should run and they marked it on the dip stick and put the instructions in writing. Why would anyone now want to argue with them.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Rsw

Quote from: 1FSTRK on September 18, 2018, 05:55:42 PM
First we would have to define damage. On the other hand the engineers that designed the trans and the motor company that built it have already defined how much oil it should run and they marked it on the dip stick and put the instructions in writing. Why would anyone now want to argue with them.
Is there anything you don't know?

1FSTRK

Quote from: Rsw on September 18, 2018, 06:10:35 PM
Is there anything you don't know?

You have a problem with my logic on this?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

PoorUB

Quote from: hd06 on September 18, 2018, 05:44:43 PM
The talk is if the trans is low on oil it will not damage it, how low does it have to be to damage it. is 10oz. low enough.

Plus, how lang was it run low? A few miles? probably no big deal. A thousand miles? Might be a big deal.

I would imagine if the engineer specked and oil level, there is a reason why. With HD bean counters if they can run for any length of time on 1/2 the oil they would specify that amount.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hd06

The last time was 340 miles, The trip just before Harley put the oil deflector, before that 1100 miles Black Mountain Harley, 1600 miles  Back home. It would get down to 10 or 11 oz. That's the lowest it would get.     

Helmwurst

Quote from: hd06 on September 19, 2018, 03:18:07 PM
The last time was 340 miles, The trip just before Harley put the oil deflector, before that 1100 miles Black Mountain Harley, 1600 miles  Back home. It would get down to 10 or 11 oz. That's the lowest it would get.   
Where did the oil go? In the primary, out the vent, on the ground? I am asking because my 2017 has "used" some lube also.

hd06

It didn't leak out, I don't know crankcase stays 1/2 qt. low that's where I keep it. Harley said I should not check it drive it for 5k till next service. At Bikes Blues BBQ I talked to a Rep. he put a breather hose on the primary and said that should fix the problem so we will see.

Helmwurst

Quote from: hd06 on October 07, 2018, 08:44:29 PM
It didn't leak out, I don't know crankcase stays 1/2 qt. low that's where I keep it. Harley said I should not check it drive it for 5k till next service. At Bikes Blues BBQ I talked to a Rep. he put a breather hose on the primary and said that should fix the problem so we will see.
Thanks for the update. Where did they install the breather hose on the Primary? You have a picture??

50Panhead

There is always a "Safety" factor in Volume beyond dipstick volume.   
What Do You Care What Other People Think

koko3052

Quote from: hd06 on October 07, 2018, 08:44:29 PM

You talk to your "harley" about loosing oil & they tell you to not check & run it for 5K??? I wouldn't EVER bother talking t o them again! :angry:

hd06

Sorry, I didn't make it clear MoCo told me that. 10 oz. is plenty oil for that trans.   

les

Quote from: hd06 on October 08, 2018, 04:43:46 PM
  Sorry, I didn't make it clear MoCo told me that. 10 oz. is plenty oil for that trans.

So, for a while now it's been the latest "fashion" and buzz-word for corporations to talk about product and service excellence.  Could H-D be setting a new trend?  Namely, product and service "adequacy"? 

Hmmm...let's give it a try to see how it sounds.  We strive for product and service adequacy!  Strikes me sort of like when you get a Coke at a restaurant that's lost its fizz. 

Scottr

He's not arguing the engineers decision on how much oil should be in the trans. The question is how low is too low for a period of time before damage is done.

No Cents

Quote from: hd06 on September 19, 2018, 03:18:07 PM

did you check to see how much fluid was in your primary?
I'd be willing to bet that if both the tranny and primary were full at the proper levels in the beginning, and then you noticed the tranny was low, and you also say it wasn't leaking any tranny fluid out under the bike...that tranny fluid has more than likely transferred over into your primary.
   Who ever at the MoCo told you that 10 ounces of fluid is fine in the tranny..."needs to be fired from their job".
IMHO that is not an acceptable relpy to get from a HD rep.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

hd06

Every time I check trans if it wasn't showing on dipstick. I would drane trans. check how much came out and how much was in the primary and the differance was in there  I been fighting with my local dealer along with Harley customer care. It really got where my local dealer didn't like to see me walk in there building. We had a bike rally in our area and I found a Harley rep.told him my problem and gave him my ref.# It has been 13 times this bike been in for this transfer problem. He took my bike tap a 1/4 pipe thread on back side of primary at the highest point ran a hose up the frame and down a little. He said this should fix it. I put 450 miles and there been no transfer and I have it on my service documents 600 miles and no oil on dipstick. This all started 9/23/16

cmashark

I put a $70 pushrod in my new bike.  One of my friends was having fluid transfer on his 18 Street Glide.  He brought his bike over with one of these aftermarket pushrods and asked me to install it and knock out his 5K.  His bike was transferring 4-6 ounces every 4-500 miles.  He has put 1K on it since with no transfer. 

I was amazed at the amount of slop the stock pushrod had on the main shaft.  No wonder it was transferring.

I've never noticed any of mine ever transferring, but ordered one anyway.  Mostly to ensure I wouldn't have a transfer issue, but also because it is a hair shorter than stock and it brings the friction zone a little bit closer to the grip.

Eventually I'll go with a Grudge Box or DD7 and May put the stock rod back in...
2021 FLHXSE

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Assuming it was at the correct level to begin with, which, it probably was, the Transmission is basically a Gear Box and not a conventional Transmission. The Gears are bathed in Gear Lubricant and slung throughout also adhering to the Gear Teeth providing lubrication. Draining by gravity also lubricates the Bearings on the Shaft and the Door.

So, I would think 10 oz low would not have adversely affected the serviceability of the Transmission.

With That Being Said, on an extremely Hot day with extended riding, the Bearings may wear more and even become damaged.

The next question is where is the Lubricant? The lack of a Quad Seal, and inadequate replacement Seal often allows it to flow to the Primary on some. (?????)

Which leaves the overflow (pressure tube) on top, the Primary, or, even, perhaps the Crank Case (I have not personally seen this).

The Dealer Communications suggests filling all three holes with known amounts and record. in 5,000 miles drain and record. Evaluate the difference between the three. An increase in Primary and a Decrease in Transmission would indicate it leaking by the Seal.

Here is what I know from dealing with Engineering and Representatives of the MoCo. They're gonna suggest something. It may be to change the Turn Signal Bulb. But, they're going to suggest something even if its not related.
Tom

hd06

There is no seal between the trans and primary the only way trans fluid can get in the primary is through the clutch pushrod.There a seal between trans and front sprocket.

Helmwurst

Quote from: cmashark on January 23, 2019, 04:52:15 PM
I put a $70 pushrod in my new bike.  One of my friends was having fluid transfer on his 18 Street Glide.  He brought his bike over with one of these aftermarket pushrods and asked me to install it and knock out his 5K.  His bike was transferring 4-6 ounces every 4-500 miles.  He has put 1K on it since with no transfer. 

I was amazed at the amount of slop the stock pushrod had on the main shaft.  No wonder it was transferring.

I've never noticed any of mine ever transferring, but ordered one anyway.  Mostly to ensure I wouldn't have a transfer issue, but also because it is a hair shorter than stock and it brings the friction zone a little bit closer to the grip.

What $70 push rod and from who? I would like to do that just to get the shorter throw on the clutch. My 17 RGS has lost some trans fluid here and there but seems to be getting better.

Eventually I'll go with a Grudge Box or DD7 and May put the stock rod back in...

Helmwurst

Not sure what happened there above, but what $70 pushrod and who from. I would like to do that to mine to get the shorter lever throw. My 17 RGS has lost trans fluid a couple time , but seems to be getting better.

cmashark

Quote from: Helmwurst on January 24, 2019, 06:04:14 AM
Not sure what happened there above, but what $70 pushrod and who from. I would like to do that to mine to get the shorter lever throw. My 17 RGS has lost trans fluid a couple time , but seems to be getting better.

A shop called Macomb County Choppers on Facebook.
2021 FLHXSE

hd06

Maybe Harley needs to put a longer dipstick in the trans, problem solved. You have a lot of heat around that trans. you have a cat on one side a crossover on back side and a motor on other side. How hot do you think that trans fluid gets.   

Helmwurst

Quote from: cmashark on January 24, 2019, 08:05:32 PM
Quote from: Helmwurst on January 24, 2019, 06:04:14 AM

A shop called Macomb County Choppers on Facebook.
Thanks !! I will check it out

bigal51

I was talking to an employee of a local bike shop.  He had a guy who had his dresser serviced every 5k for a couple years.  He used a synthetic gear lube.  The guy rode up north and decided, on his trip, to do a complete oil change.  A couple months later he was back in the shop for an oil change.  The guy didn't replace the trans oil when he did a change on the road.  When the shop drained the Trans oil only a couple oz came out.  I guess this is a statement of how well engineered the HD tranny is.  I was on a trip on my 17 M-8 across country from Fla to Ca.  19 days on the road and 8k miles.  When I did a service on my tranny I was 10 oz low.  The primary was 10 oz over.  The tranny seems to be in as good a shape as when new.  YMMV.