April 26, 2024, 01:57:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

107-117 conversion

Started by deerjoe, October 09, 2018, 12:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerjoe

Just daydreamin... I have a chance to pick up a M8 CVO 117 takeoff kit with heads, jugs, pistons, cam and throttle body... Ive done a little research and see that the 107 that I have has a 4.375 stroke, while the 114 and 117 have a 4.5 stroke.  Does anyone know how the 117 kit could be used on the stock 107, and if so, what mods would need to be done?
j

Jamie Long

the 117 CVO pistons will not work on the 107 4.375" stroke engine as the compression height is different between the 2 motors. Also note the heads & throttle body are the same as your 107. The cam is slightly different.

deerjoe

In the ad for the 117 parts im lookin at, the heads say screaming eagle on them, and it states the throttle body is a 64mm. 
j

deerjoe

It seems like it would stand to reason that if a 117 has a .125 longer stroke, and that stroke is in the flywheels, if you bolted the cylinders to a 107, the pistons would come up an eighth of an inch short of the top of the cylinders, therefore, if that height adjustment could be made by milling the jugs or using a thinner head gasket than stock, it seems possible to me... any more thoughts?
j

PoorUB

Quote from: deerjoe on October 09, 2018, 05:05:22 PM
It seems like it would stand to reason that if a 117 has a .125 longer stroke, and that stroke is in the flywheels, if you bolted the cylinders to a 107, the pistons would come up an eighth of an inch short of the top of the cylinders, therefore, if that height adjustment could be made by milling the jugs or using a thinner head gasket than stock, it seems possible to me... any more thoughts?

Different length connecting rods.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hillside Motorcycle

Bore the 107" to 117", CP piston, and if looking for a BIG torque-producer, use the RS .468 cam.
.030" head gasket.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

BVHOG

Bored a set of 107 to 117 cylinders last week and fitted them to a set of Wiseco black series I got from T man. While not a fan of the Wiseco in the past these pistons look great. Plenty of material left in the spigot area.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

HD/Wrench

Quote from: BVHOG on October 10, 2018, 06:50:20 AM
Bored a set of 107 to 117 cylinders last week and fitted them to a set of Wiseco black series I got from T man. While not a fan of the Wiseco in the past these pistons look great. Plenty of material left in the spigot area.

Keep us posted on how it does after some miles . as that seems to be the issue with the wiseco pistons

October 27, 2018, 05:21:17 PM #8 Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 05:54:12 PM by 838
How are the stock bottom ends handling these 107”-117” (and up) conversions??? Seems like one could bolt on some serious power for relatively low costs if there’s no bottom end work needed..

Like the OP just daydreaming..

1FSTRK

Quote from: PoorUB on October 09, 2018, 06:44:47 PM
Quote from: deerjoe on October 09, 2018, 05:05:22 PM

Different length connecting rods.

Did they change both the rod length and the flywheel between the 107 and 114 M-8 engines?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."