April 23, 2024, 12:48:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Historic HDC Code

Started by Echo4USMC, October 11, 2018, 08:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echo4USMC

My 17RGS just started showing a Historic Code U0002: Vehicle Can Perf Error. I took it to the dealer because the engine light came on and the tech just said it was a historic code and it should be fine since for all I know my bike is running good. When I left Harley the engine light was off so I assumed he cleared it but now it has come on again. I haven't done any work around my electrical except for swapping out my stock antenna to a shorty. Would this cause the code?? Should I clear and see if it comes on again? With only 3000 miles on it I'm a bit worried. Thanks.

Pete_Vit

don't know specifically about Harley's but generally historic codes do NOT signal the check engine light to come on, some great experts here will call bull or back me up on this.  :up:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

HV

Historic codes on the newer bikes can trigger an engine light.......after they are cleared the bike must be started and run for them to clear the engine light
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Pete_Vit

Quote from: HV on October 11, 2018, 08:13:56 PM
Historic codes on the newer bikes can trigger an engine light.......after they are cleared the bike must be started and run for them to clear the engine light
:scratch: wow, I guess my car is different, way different, I have some old codes stored in each control module they don't trigger a check engine until they are current again if that makes sense.

harttoo

[/quote] :scratch: wow, I guess my car is different, way different, I have some old codes stored in each control module they don't trigger a check engine until they are current again if that makes sense.
[/quote]
Newer cars don't allow code clearing.The light may be off,but the code is not cleared until the ECM decides that the problem has been corrrected.This may take thousands of miles.
This is My fault because I used to clear My code just before entering the inspection station.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: harttoo on October 12, 2018, 06:32:42 AM

:scratch: wow, I guess my car is different, way different, I have some old codes stored in each control module they don't trigger a check engine until they are current again if that makes sense.
[/quote]
Newer cars don't allow code clearing.The light may be off,but the code is not cleared until the ECM decides that the problem has been corrrected.This may take thousands of miles.
This is My fault because I used to clear My code just before entering the inspection station.
[/quote] I have a C5 1998 Corvette, the DIC allows me to do diagnostics, pull and clear codes  :up:

Buglet

I'am trying out a new scanner and on a Indian it will tell you how many times the bike was on its side. Whats with that, no lite won't let you clear that code. Plus this scanner will tell you a lot info then I've ever seen with a scanner. Next week I'am going to try it out on a new Harley and see what I can find out.     

hogpipes1

Quote from: BUGLET on October 12, 2018, 07:11:45 AM
   I'am trying out a new scanner and on a Indian it will tell you how many times the bike was on its side. Whats with that, no lite won't let you clear that code. Plus this scanner will tell you a lot info then I've ever seen with a scanner. Next week I'am going to try it out on a new Harley and see what I can find out.     

Ins co. would love that infor. bikes been dropped 3 x in the last yr ,  your canceled.