March 28, 2024, 11:00:43 PM

News:

M8 Oil Pressure Gauge

Started by RoadGlideRob, November 21, 2018, 06:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadGlideRob

Has anyone seen one for the M8?  the Arlen Ness style liquid filled version.  i'm sure it will work but the mounting bracket doesn't look like it will fit the M8 Rocker Boxes.  would like suggestions

thanks

joe_lyons

Probably have to find a single bolt style one.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

RoadGlideRob

yeah or I figured I could just us a cutoff wheel and mod the arlen ness or drag specialties one.  Just don't want it to look janky when i'm done

RoadGlideRob

So I installed the Arlen Ness gauge this morning. Cold start showed 60psi and dropped to low 30's when engine warmed up.

That seems awful high. My 14 limited would only get in the 30's when it was a cold start and drop from there.  Anyone else checked oil pressure on a m8?

08flstf

How did you end up mounting it? Got a pic?

RoadGlideRob

Right now I'm just using one bolt in the rear rocker.  Will try to figure something out better down the road.  I'll take pics tomorrow and post

hd06

Where did you tie it in on the motor.

RoadGlideRob

same place as you do a twin cam, the rear lifter block

RoadGlideRob

November 25, 2018, 09:59:15 AM #8 Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:40:07 PM by FSG
 [attach=0,msg1268424]

[attach=1,msg1268424]

50Panhead

Its a shame that you can not get Oil pressure along with other motor information out of the Info system. You know its all there only needs to be programmed.
What Do You Care What Other People Think

hd06

That's looks great where did you get the block to screw the line in.

RoadGlideRob

Quote from: 50Panhead on November 25, 2018, 03:21:04 PM
Its a shame that you can not get Oil pressure along with other motor information out of the Info system. You know its all there only needs to be programmed.

No kidding. They had it on my 2014

RoadGlideRob

Quote from: hd06 on November 25, 2018, 03:49:35 PM
That's looks great where did you get the block to screw the line in.
It all comes in the Arlen Ness kit.

hd06

There not a kit for M8 that i've seen.

RoadGlideRob

That's right. I used the twincam kit.

hd06

I would keep an eye on it that's two different threads.

RoadGlideRob

Weird, it went in with just using my fingers for several turns so if it is different it didn't feel like it

PoorUB

Did you run the line to the oil filter? That is what it looks like in the pictures. The oil galley plugs at the oil filter are the same part number for a TC or M8 so the gauge kit should be fine other than the gauge mount itself.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

RoadGlideRob

I put it inline with the oil pressure sending unit, then screwed the sending unit into the end of it

hd06

That thread is SAE O-RING BOSS ORB not PIPE.   

RoadGlideRob

Well dont know what to say. It threaded in with my fingers and doesn't leak so....  and the pressure switch threaded right into it

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: RoadGlideRob on November 27, 2018, 03:45:22 PM
Well dont know what to say. It threaded in with my fingers and doesn't leak so....  and the pressure switch threaded right into it

TCs are 1/4 inch pipe thread and M8s are 1/2-20..  I guess you can make em fit.. I wouldn't.

HD/Wrench

On FB some one had a 19 info system  that they sent off to be reprogrammed to show actual oil pressure . Now the 19 head unit is much nicer than the 18  No idea if it can be done on the earlier version I would think so , and I never found out where the guy sent it off to .  They did a few other things as well color of lights 

hd06

Did it show the unit on FB. I was told by my dealer that the 17 and 19 will not interchange, If anybody was thinking of upgrading the 17s. Some body needs to come up with a upgrade Hardley's not. I am convinced the reason no display on oil psi is to hide a problem.

Hossamania

December 04, 2018, 08:50:59 AM #24 Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:57:17 AM by Hossamania
I think it was posted here a few years ago that the reason for no factory oil guage is that they vary in pressure reading between bikes due to inconsistencies in the guages themselves, the oil used, the temperature being ridden, etc., and owners would of course compare pressures and think they have a problem because their friend's bike reads 5 psi higher and now they panic and take it to the dealer demanding a fix, when really the pressures are pretty much equal, or at least within spec, even though reading differently between the two bikes.
I've said it before, I rarely look at my oil pressure unless I perceive a problem or the light comes on (it never has). But I don't have a high performance build either. By high performance, I mean it is not stroked and squeezed for every last ounce of power and dollar.
I think the same philosohy holds true for the reason there is no oil temperature guage.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

DTTJGlide

Quote from: Hossamania on December 04, 2018, 08:50:59 AM
I think it was posted here a few years ago that the reason for no factory oil guage is that they vary in pressure reading between bikes due to inconsistencies in the guages themselves, the oil used, the temperature being ridden, etc., and owners would of course compare pressures and think they have a problem because their friend's bike reads 5 psi higher and now they panic and take it to the dealer demanding a fix, when really the pressures are pretty much equal, or at least within spec, even though reading differently between the two bikes.
The same holds true for almost all cars, if they have an oil pressure gauge it's really just a glorified idiot light & has been for quite a few years. The gauge goes to what looks good to the consumer & it stays there unless there is no oil pressure, for the same thing as Hoss stated, too many people complained "my pressure is lower than XYZs is".

joe_lyons

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on November 30, 2018, 06:43:20 AM
On FB some one had a 19 info system  that they sent off to be reprogrammed to show actual oil pressure . Now the 19 head unit is much nicer than the 18  No idea if it can be done on the earlier version I would think so , and I never found out where the guy sent it off to .  They did a few other things as well color of lights

Wonder if it was harley gauge mods?
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901