Weird whistle from Air Cleaner after stage 3

Started by Timber0472, November 27, 2018, 07:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timber0472

Hey all. Just did a 117 big bore kit with cams to my 2018 RGS. Runs awesome but has some sorta strange whistle coming from the ness m8 big sucker I installed. Any one else had this? Sounds just like old hot rod 4 barrel whistle/chirp. No biggie but if someone knows a way to get rid of it that would be great. Sort of annoying. It's not the classic clucking from cams and reversion either. Just a chirping or whiny whistle when accelerating. Hear it a little at idle to but mostly when throttling.

Hossamania

Does it have a cover of some sort? Remove it and see if that changes anything. If not, try removing and remounting the whole assembly. Try running without the air cleaner (short time) to see if it changes. Try taping off gradually larger sections of the cleaner to see if it changes.
Make sure it's the air intake making the noise and not something else that is fooling you.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Timber0472

Quote from: Hossamania on November 27, 2018, 09:31:19 PM
Does it have a cover of some sort? Remove it and see if that changes anything. If not, try removing and remounting the whole assembly. Try running without the air cleaner (short time) to see if it changes. Try taping off gradually larger sections of the cleaner to see if it changes.
Make sure it's the air intake making the noise and not somethibyng else that is fooling you.
It has the stock m8 cover. I will do that. I can't imagine what else it could be.  No oil around the heads and I have searched for an intake leak with carb cleaner and a torch.  Nothing changed.

Hossamania

Could it be a heat shield on the exhaust or a footboard chirping? Sound travels, it may be something that is loose and is making noise.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Timber0472

Quote from: Hossamania on November 28, 2018, 05:03:29 AM
Could it be a heat shield on the exhaust or a footboard chirping? Sound travels, it may be something that is loose and is making noise.
yep, checked that too... even loosened them then buttoned them back up.

Pete_Vit

Make sure it's the air intake making the noise and not something else that is fooling you.
:agree: Not sure about the M8's but there's 'usually' a hard gasket/seal that goes between the carb, or in your case the throttle body and the air cleaner, check its not missing or attached correctly  :scratch:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Timber0472

Quote from: Pete_Vit on November 28, 2018, 06:01:48 AM

:agree: Not sure about the M8's but there's 'usually' a hard gasket/seal that goes between the carb, or in your case the throttle body and the air cleaner, check its not missing or attached correctly  :scratch:

Hmm. yea it has that cheap card board type 3 hole gasket. Maybe I should use some RTV on that?? or just replace it. Could that be it?

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Timber0472 on November 28, 2018, 08:03:10 AM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on November 28, 2018, 06:01:48 AM

Hmm. yea it has that cheap card board type 3 hole gasket. Maybe I should use some RTV on that?? or just replace it. Could that be it?
I'm not sure you need to go that route, but checking fix, clean surfaces, and replace, RTV will ensure a good seal if you find that's the issue

Timber0472

Timber0472

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Timber0472

Quote from: 1FSTRK on December 01, 2018, 01:33:53 PM
Quote from: Timber0472 on December 01, 2018, 12:09:41 PM
This is a better video. Still cold start.
https://youtu.be/ph5djkHbro4

Did your 117 kit include up grading to a gear drive cam?
No it was just the cam and inner bearing.

Pete_Vit

That almost sounds like cam chain or gears  :scratch:
does it quite down after warm ?

Timber0472

Quote from: Pete_Vit on December 03, 2018, 05:50:36 AM
Yes it does quiet down but still there.

Timber0472

Quote from: Pete_Vit on December 03, 2018, 05:50:36 AM
This is a video I found on my phone of the bike stock engine with pipes and air cleaner. Still has the noise but not as loud. It sounds like a cheap super charger.
https://youtu.be/fSRi-lBKFhc

Pete_Vit

my limited experience I'd say there's nothing to worry about, I've heard that same sound from Evo's and Twinkies right after a top end rebuild.
hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and tell me I'm FOS or 100% correct.  :pop:

Timber0472

Quote from: Pete_Vit on December 03, 2018, 06:30:43 AM
my limited experience I'd say there's nothing to worry about, I've heard that same sound from Evo's and Twinkies right after a top end rebuild.
hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and tell me I'm FOS or 100% correct.  :pop:
lol...Let's hope you are right..on the nothing to worry about part. Thanks for the reply.

Timber0472

Is it possible that the new inner bearing I put in is bad? Someone said it sounds like that could be the problem because it gets louder and faster with revving. Any thoughts?

Timber0472

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Timber0472 on December 05, 2018, 06:53:04 AM
Is it possible that the new inner bearing I put in is bad? Someone said it sounds like that could be the problem because it gets louder and faster with revving. Any thoughts?
Timken ?  I guess it's possible, but again my limited experience, I'd say not likely  especially if it was a Timken

Pete_Vit