April 19, 2024, 04:13:16 AM

News:

2019 114" Breather ?

Started by HDDOC, November 28, 2018, 04:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDDOC

November 28, 2018, 04:02:20 AM Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:14:04 AM by HDDOC
Anyone know if the 2019 , 114 get a new breather  system. Mine has very little air coming out the breather bolts compared to past model year bikes. Iam venting to ground and find it strange that there is very little air coming out of the stock breather bolts. Thanks for your help.  Doc 

Let me clarify in twin cams you could feel an air pulse from the breather which I am not feeling now there is some air but no pulse and very little. No obstructions that I can see .
2019 Tri Glide

JMHD

It is a different breather valve system than the twin cam. The pressure is a lot less than the twin cams were, it is almost hard to tell it is breathing at an idle when you have the tubes off checking it. Hope that helps.

HDDOC

Thank you, My 2017 107 wet head had a pulse at the breathers but this 2018 114 just barely noticeable.
2019 Tri Glide

JMHD

It might be different on the 2019 from the 2017 because of the new oil pump backing plate that seals the pinion bearing area. It changes the breathing drastically.

HDDOC

Thank you. I knew about the new oil seal but did not think it would cut down on the breather as much as it has. Bike does run good.
2019 Tri Glide

JMHD

You are welcome. Next one I have the breather off that I know has the new pump plate seal in it I will double check just to verify for you.

HDDOC

Thank You that would be great !!
2019 Tri Glide

cbumdumb

went out and checked mine my 114 has much less pulse than my 18 107 had  :oil:

HDDOC

I can barley notice any air out of mine but the bike runs great, Thought it was very strange that it had no pulse that I could feel. Not pushing any oil into the intake all dry there, But only have 400 miles on it.   Thanks Doc
2019 Tri Glide

HDDOC

Quote from: cbumdumb on December 01, 2018, 07:34:24 AM

You can feel a pulse ? All I get is a slight feel of warm air not strong or even weak, I do believe I have a problem.
2019 Tri Glide

rbabos

Quote from: HDDOC on December 04, 2018, 07:05:58 AM

You can feel a pulse ? All I get is a slight feel of warm air not strong or even weak, I do believe I have a problem.
That is the goal. Any low level out flow is caused from blowby. Do you want more blowby?  When first started there will be a few stronger puffs of air but once the case pressure is brought down to 0 or even slight negative at idle, a function of the breather valves, from there on in the only air that should be coming out is what passes the ring gaps. Unless you have really bad ring seal in the cyl, this flow is extremely low.
If the outflow is strong, either ring sealing is poor or the breather valve sealing is poor, allowing extra air in on the piston upstroke, causing excess that needs to be gotten rid of on the piston down stroke.
Ron

Hossamania

What makes you think you have a problem? Are you experiencing some issues that lead you to believe the breather is not working? Remember that the vacuum from the intake is also going to pull some air through those breathers, not much, but more than just atmosphere.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HDDOC

Quote from: rbabos on December 04, 2018, 07:47:24 AM

That is the goal. Any low level out flow is caused from blowby. Do you want more blowby?  When first started there will be a few stronger puffs of air but once the case pressure is brought down to 0 or even slight negative at idle, a function of the breather valves, from there on in the only air that should be coming out is what passes the ring gaps. Unless you have really bad ring seal in the cyl, this flow is extremely low.
If the outflow is strong, either ring sealing is poor or the breather valve sealing is poor, allowing extra air in on the piston upstroke, causing excess that needs to be gotten rid of on the piston down stroke.
Ron

Thank You, My experience with breather flow is with older bikes and all had a pulse, these new ones as you say have changed completely  Thanks for clearing this up for me Ron. and other for the help.   Doc
2019 Tri Glide

HDDOC

Quote from: Hossamania on December 04, 2018, 08:40:05 AM

What makes you think you have a problem? Are you experiencing some issues that lead you to believe the breather is not working? Remember that the vacuum from the intake is also going to pull some air through those breathers, not much, but more than just atmosphere.

From what I read and have been told that what I feel in the breathers is a good thing.  Thanks Doc
2019 Tri Glide