March 29, 2024, 03:25:53 AM

News:

883/1200 Build

Started by 72fl, August 21, 2017, 07:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72fl

I was in the process of building an 883/1200 a while back. I unfortunately ordered the wrong pistons as I ordered for a 1200 having a TOTAL Brain fart. It had a loud ticking and I figured it had sat for 3 years prior so I listened to it and I thought Intake Lifter was weak, took it all apart again and yes it was weak. Put 1 new lifter/tappet in and fired up again and low and behold it sounded like the Exhaust was ticking so I take it apart again and have Both Heads checked, that is when I found that I put in the WRONG PISTONS, the Rear piston was hitting the oversized Valves I put in and there was damage to the top of the piston, I wish I could post the photo. Long Story I know, but what ended up happening is had to re Hone the Cylinders got the right Pistons and fired it up with the 2into1 Hooker Pipe and it sounds amazing. Had a buddy take it for a ride for a shakedown and he came back with a Big Ol Smile said it is the quikest bike he has ever ridden. This is the list of parts I used:
Andrews N6 Cams,
Andrews 550 springs
Andrews Adjustable push rods,
Wiseco K1682 Pistons 10:1
Kibblewhite Intake 1.71 and Exhaust Valves 1.48
Hooker 2 into 1 Header
Custom Head Work
manual compression releases
DK Custom open Air Cleaner with Breather Bolts
Super E Carb
I have not gotten to ride the bike or Dyno it, to see how it runs as I have some health issues that prevent me from riding, I would like Opinions as I believe I may have went to big on the Cams but I am unsure as I personally cannot attest as to where the power comes on at. Thanks

Hillside Motorcycle

Keep the 27T trans sprocket on that. :smile:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

72fl

Quote from: Scott P on August 22, 2017, 07:49:39 AM

Yes, had another guy take it for a ride and tells me, mind you it has maybe 2 miles on BUILD, he tells me WOW is this thing fast just before I hit 3rd gear I was at 100 MPH, I said what the HELL is wrong with you it is a Brand New Build Dumbass!!!!

Pete_Vit

:SM: - I recall getting my 1200 back together and after the lifters quieted down, it was very hard not to twist that thing...  :koolaid4: :chop:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

hbkeith

Quote from: 72fl on September 11, 2017, 05:15:40 AM
Quote from: Scott P on August 22, 2017, 07:49:39 AM

Yes, had another guy take it for a ride and tells me, mind you it has maybe 2 miles on BUILD, he tells me WOW is this thing fast just before I hit 3rd gear I was at 100 MPH, I said what the HELL is wrong with you it is a Brand New Build Dumbass!!!!
You let him ride it  :scratch:

72fl

I had actually traded it for a Panhead, Looooooooong story short Pan didn't have a title so he was bringing my Sportster back and decided to twist on it. :emoGroan: All is good its fine had a very very reputable HD Mechanic friend take it for lil spin around the block, now i'm in the process of looking for a set of wheelie bars as it runs like the Proverbial Striped Ass Ape :baby: :baby:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: 72fl on November 21, 2017, 05:43:42 AM
I had actually traded it for a Panhead, Looooooooong story short Pan didn't have a title so he was bringing my Sportster back and decided to twist on it. :emoGroan: All is good its fine had a very very reputable HD Mechanic friend take it for lil spin around the block, now i'm in the process of looking for a set of wheelie bars as it runs like the Proverbial Striped Ass Ape :baby: :baby:
:up: nice  :SM:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hillside Motorcycle

The Andrews 8 cam set would be a better choice for the 1200.
We use the 6's, in 88" XL(3 13/16" X 3 13/16") combo's.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

72fl

Scott I am unable to ride the bike currently but are the 8's smoother and more controllable than the 6's ? Or am I off base here ? I actually thought I was over cammed with it ?

Hillside Motorcycle

The 8's will come on quicker, and carry more torque over a larger area.

72fl

I may need to look into that in the future, I'd like to see how things shakedown after some break in time, problem is it isn't me doing it at this time maybe some day :idunno: