April 24, 2024, 07:23:01 PM

News:

Clacking noise when hot

Started by Robert777, February 16, 2018, 07:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert777

February 16, 2018, 07:15:09 AM Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:02:04 AM by Robert777
Hello,
I have a 2000 XLH 1200 Sportster. 9500 miles
I got it July last year. It was sitting 5-6 years.
All fluids Changed, adjusted primary chain and drive belt. Carb cleaned, Air Filter cleaned. Clutch seems to operate normally to me.
I have a clacking noise that occurs ONLY when the engine is hot and ONLY when driving away from a dead stop and getting on the throttle aggressively or a very slow roll and getting on the throttle aggressively. If I get on the throttle slowly the noise does not occur. I tried it in 1st and 2nd gear.  Same noise.
I brought it to the dealer and the response went from "I don't know" to "sounds normal just give it more gas" to "All Evo Motors make that clacking noise".
As this is my first Harley and I am not new to motorcycles, the noise does not sound normal to me.
If it is normal, can someone tell me where this noise is coming from to allay my concerns.
thank you kindly
Robert

Pete_Vit

Welcome to HTT, didn't say what year, I'm thinking EVO Sportster, my first guess was lifters then you said 'get on the throttle slowly and no noise'
also can be compensator. that sound you year...nope not normal
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Robert777

February 16, 2018, 09:49:50 AM #2 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:11:39 AM by Robert777
Tough to say since I'm riding it when it happens. seems to be coming from the left side. I did adjust the primary chain (3/8 at the tightest part). It was okay before I check the adjustment. It's very strange that when I brought it to the dealer they should say it's normal. I was told if it was a compensator sprocket it would make the noise all the time not just at the times I indicated.
I was also told that HD had complaints of this nature which indicated a fractured transmission counter-shaft.
Thank you for your help if you have anything to add please let me know
Robert

Pete_Vit

Robert777

It shifts ok.  Better and finding neutral is easier after changing the primary/trans fluid. I put in the HD Fluid.
I was also told that HD had complaints of this nature which indicated a fractured transmission counter-shaft.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Robert777 on February 16, 2018, 10:11:09 AM
It shifts ok.  Better after changing the primary/trans fluid. I put in the HD Fluid.
:up: ok - I've not heard of these issues, but that's just me, My wife's Sporty is a 93 and knock on wood no tranny related issues.
hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas.

u4hd2

Two things I would check first is the engine sprocket nut and the c/s sprocket nut.
Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer

Robert777

What I've been told is if it is the compensator sprocket nut, the noise would be constant. Do you agree?
Also,
Where is the engine sprocket nut located?
Thanks

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Robert777 on February 16, 2018, 12:14:12 PM
What I've been told is if it is the compensator sprocket nut, the noise would be constant. Do you agree?
Also,
Where is the engine sprocket nut located?
Thanks
:agree: on the constant sound -  :nix: engine sprocket nut - never been into my primary - Service manual is home  :unsure:

Hossamania

Are you sure it's not pinging from pre-detonation of the fuel? What octane fuel are you running?
What happens at 55 mph in 5th gear when you whack the throttle, what happens when you slowly roll the throttle?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Robert777

February 16, 2018, 02:52:00 PM #10 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:34:01 PM by Robert777
Octane 93
I have not tried octane booster

At 55 it accelerates well when whacking it with No slipping of the clutch.
When accelerating slowly seems normal.
When Backing off no popping

Julio

February 16, 2018, 04:15:54 PM #11 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:34:57 PM by Julio
Does sound like detonation, but, you seem to think it's drive related?
At 9500 miles, it seems a bit early, but I'd pull out the clutch pack and inspect the spring plate.
If the rivets that hold it together come loose, and they seem to ~30k miles, it will make a mess.
As long as the clutch pack is out, replace that plate with 2 steels and a fiber.
When I checked them on my two Sporties at ~34k miles, one was loose on the way out, while the other was still tight.
Let us know what you find.

Hossamania

Quote from: Robert777 on February 16, 2018, 02:52:00 PM
Octane 93
I have not tried octane booster

At 55 it accelerates well when wackng it. No slip of clutch.
Acell slowly seems normal.
When Backing off no popping

No need for octane booster, it is really no help.
Hopefully you can get this sorted pretty easily.

Robert777

Julio
"Does sound like detonation, but, you seem to think it's drive related?
At 9500 miles, it seems a bit early, but I'd pull out the clutch pack and inspect the spring plate.
If the rivets that hold it together come loose, and they seem to ~30k miles, it will make a mess.
As long as the clutch pack is out, replace that plate with 2 steels and a fiber.
When I checked them on my two Sporties at ~34k miles, one was loose on the way out, while the other was still tight.
Let us know what you find."

Would a bad clutch make the sound when the clutch is engaged? I get the sound when I am coming off the line AND when I get on it from a very slow roll AFTER the clutch is engaged. I would think only during engagement.

What about the intake manifold seals between the head and the intake manifold. Has anyone had experience with them causing a lean condition, hence this noise?
The plugs look normal to me (the insulator is light gray).
thank you

Hossamania

If it is a lean condition caused by leaking intake seals, then that would lead back to the noise being detonation.

Robert777

Quote from: Hossamania on February 16, 2018, 06:49:20 PM
If it is a lean condition caused by leaking intake seals, then that would lead back to the noise being detonation.

thank you

i was told that the seals can have micro tears after a few years and need be replaced periodically.

that's the next thing. one thing at a time to find out what is causing the noise.

hogpipes1

My 2000xl   which i bought new  sounds like the same noise when hot leaving the light. AZ spring weather gets hot  i use octane booster with the cheap gas and no issues with noise. (detonation) 35k  so if it have a bad counter shaft it hasen't showed up yet . also it never came with comp sprocket, sure you have one on yours ? Ckeck your  timing.

Panzer

This is like throwing darts at a bullseye, hit and miss.
Carb cleaner or water spray around intake seals will determine leaks if engine falters.
Don't discount hissing or ticking (like said) from exhaust seals.
Again, a shot in the dark.  :nix:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

u4hd2

It doesn't have a compensator but if the nut is loose (front sprocket in the primary) the timkin
bearing is loose (no preload)

Robert777

Quote from: u4hd2 on February 17, 2018, 06:44:12 AM
It doesn't have a compensator but if the nut is loose (front sprocket in the primary) the timkin
bearing is loose (no preload)

thank you
would the nut being loose result in a constant noise; not just at take off?
Do you know what the torque needs to be for that nut if I go into the primary?

u4hd2

Depends on how loose it is.  Torque is 190-210

hogpipes1

My noise is up front under the tank , ( heads)only when hot at the light sitting and lots of traffic backed up. Next light it's cooled down . short light , take off ok and i don't pound it  off the line . keep that up and you will find your  issue  real quick. Did the dealer test ride when hot? If not get someone with exp that does  before you waste alot of time and $$$.   I'd try some 104 hot shot  octane boost one more time to rule out the pinging  rattle .  cheap fix.

Robert777

Quote from: hogpipes1 on February 17, 2018, 10:15:57 AM
My noise is up front under the tank , ( heads)only when hot at the light sitting and lots of traffic backed up. Next light it's cooled down . short light , take off ok and i don't pound it  off the line . keep that up and you will find your  issue  real quick. Did the dealer test ride when hot? If not get someone with exp that does  before you waste alot of time and $$$.   I'd try some 104 hot shot  octane boost one more time to rule out the pinging  rattle .  cheap fix.

thanks
The dealer did listen to and rode it
Three guys
First two didn't know
Third came out and after I asked him to take it around the lot came back and said its normal.
That I should give it more gas. Maybe he meant to give it more gas before getting on it? Don't know
Weird
I would like to know where the noise is coming from. I rode other HDs and didn't hear this noise.

thanks again to all

hogpipes1

They heard the noise?  Give it more gas  means ,as you take off slip the clutch alittle more and keeps the revs up a bit.Doesn't sound like you have a serious problem, just  get use the bike.

Robert777

Quote from: hogpipes1 on February 17, 2018, 04:13:54 PM
They heard the noise?  Give it more gas  means ,as you take off slip the clutch alittle more and keeps the revs up a bit.Doesn't sound like you have a serious problem, just  get use the bike.

yeah
maybe
my first bike was a 1968 Triumph Bonneville, so I'm used to mechanical noise, but this is weird.
slipping the clutch never sounded like a good practice to me.
the noise is loud.
i will keep you all informed. just snowed half a foot here now, so not riding anywhere.
please feel free to chime in.
thank you