April 24, 2024, 06:21:04 PM

News:

Clacking noise when hot

Started by Robert777, February 16, 2018, 07:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

My '12 Ultra will clack if I let the clutch out too quickly without enough revs and clutch slip. More than I am used to from my other bike. These clutches will take a little bit of slipping without cooking them. I think they're made to take it with all the plates and discs in it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hogpipes1

Quote from: Robert777 on February 17, 2018, 07:44:30 PM
Quote from: hogpipes1 on February 17, 2018, 04:13:54 PM
They heard the noise?  Give it more gas  means ,as you take off slip the clutch alittle more and keeps the revs up a bit.Doesn't sound like you have a serious problem, just  get use the bike.

yeah
maybe
my first bike was a 1968 Triumph Bonneville, so I'm used to mechanical noise, but this is weird.
slipping the clutch never sounded like a good practice to me.
the noise is loud.
i will keep you all informed. just snowed half a foot here now, so not riding anywhere.
please feel free to chime in.
thank you

Every time you take off you slip the clutch, that's how they work. Doing  it  right, off the line should be as smooth as shifting  between the the gears . No jerking ,if you could switch with someone with a sporty 5 speed up threw 03  that would work for piece of mind . Did you go threw all the bolts /nuts  if they are tight ,?  eng mounts , muffs ,  etc .what about the last owner with any information. What ever it is sporties are the easy one's to  work on.

Robert777

Quote from: hogpipes1 on February 18, 2018, 12:10:14 AM
They heard the noise?  Give it more gas  means ,as you take off slip the clutch alittle more and keeps the revs up a bit.Doesn't sound like you have a serious problem, just  get use the bike.

yeah
maybe
my first bike was a 1968 Triumph Bonneville, so I'm used to mechanical noise, but this is weird.
the noise is loud.
i will keep you all informed. just snowed half a foot here now, so not riding anywhere.
thank you

Every time you take off you slip the clutch, that's how they work. Doing  it  right, off the line should be as smooth as shifting  between the the gears . No jerking ,if you could switch with someone with a sporty 5 speed up threw 03  that would work for piece of mind . Did you go threw all the bolts /nuts  if they are tight ,?  eng mounts , muffs ,  etc .what about the last owner with any information. What ever it is sporties are the easy one's to  work on.

I agree.
I did not go through all the bolts yet.
The Exhaust manifold bolts and a few others needed a retorque. Is there a quick list of all the torque measurements available rather than to go through the service manual?
This could be a lean condition because of epa regs.
In regards to detonation or pre-ignition, do you know if changing the spark plug gap would make any difference? I read a comment to a youtube video with a similar noise complaint and the comment was to go to .030"-.032" rather than .038"- .043"
thanks

Hossamania

New plugs probably wouldn't hurt, I set mine at .035.
Right now, it's a matter of identifying the noise, through different riding techniques, talking to some others, letting them hear it next to you while riding.
Going thru and checking  critical and known problem fasteners is also a good idea.

Hossamania

As far as torque values, if you go to the Documents and FAQs section, go to Torque Values thread, the listing goes back to 2008, but may help with many of your fasteners.
The service manual is really the way to get all the proper specs, as some have probably changed between 2000 and 2008.

hogpipes1

Quote from: Robert777 on February 18, 2018, 08:01:44 AM
Quote from: hogpipes1 on February 18, 2018, 12:10:14 AM

yeah
maybe
the noise is loud.
thank you

I agree.
I did not go through all the bolts yet.
The Exhaust manifold bolts and a few others needed a retorque. Is there a quick list of all the torque measurements available rather than to go through the service manual?
This could be a lean condition because of epa regs.
In regards to detonation or pre-ignition, do you know if changing the spark plug gap would make any difference? I read a comment to a youtube video with a similar noise complaint and the comment was to go to .030"-.032" rather than .038"- .043"
thanks

Give the plug gap a try --champ #RA8HC   HARLEY  6R12,  AUTOLITE #4164.

coolbreeze3646

You made a profound statement in one of your earlier posts: "I did adjust the primary chain (3/8 at the tightest part). It was okay before I check the adjustment."  I would go back in and check that.  If it was working correctly prior to you being in there and adjusting stuff, you may want to revisit the process and have someone else check the adjustment.  Do you have a Harley service manual?  Just my thoughts, go back to what you did and when the problem started. 
What do I know; I ride a Trike
2019 FLHTCUTG, 2003 XLH1200S, 2016 FJ-09, 2019 DL650XT

Robert777

February 19, 2018, 04:34:43 AM #32 Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:56:30 AM by Robert777
Quote from: coolbreeze3646 on February 18, 2018, 07:17:41 PM
You made a profound statement in one of your earlier posts: "I did adjust the primary chain (3/8 at the tightest part). It was okay before I check the adjustment."  I would go back in and check that.  If it was working correctly prior to you being in there and adjusting stuff, you may want to revisit the process and have someone else check the adjustment.  Do you have a Harley service manual?  Just my thoughts, go back to what you did and when the problem started.

thank you I will recheck it.

I did notice the noise BEFORE I checked the adjustment as per the Service Manual (which I do have). The "it" i was referring to was the adjustment. I apologize for not making that clear. [I do wish they had made a complete list of all the torque values in one section of the book. It would have made the book so much easier to use and the service process MUCH quicker.]
Since it was sitting for so long, when I got the bike in July, I did the oil change after I ran the motor about 15 miles to get it hot and installed Valvoline 20w-50 4 Stroke Mcy Oil. Thereafter, I noticed the noise and after about 400 miles I withdrew 12oz and replaced the same amount with Lucas (non syn) oil Stabilizer to see if it was a viscosity issue with the Valvoline Oil. Not much difference.

Thank you again

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Panzer on February 17, 2018, 05:01:11 AM
This is like throwing darts at a bullseye, hit and miss.
Carb cleaner or water spray around intake seals will determine leaks if engine falters.
Don't discount hissing or ticking (like said) from exhaust seals.
Again, a shot in the dark.  :nix:
:up:  :agree: also I'm not sure about 2000's but my 93 does not like heat, I recall a couple of years at Rolling Thunder in DC, in traffic, I thought my engine was coming apart  :cry:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Robert777

Quote from: Pete_Vit on February 19, 2018, 07:45:17 AM
Carb cleaner or water spray around intake seals will determine leaks if engine falters.
:up:  :agree: also I'm not sure about 2000's but my 93 does not like heat, I recall a couple of years at Rolling Thunder in DC, in traffic, I thought my engine was coming apart  :cry:

and on that note, has anyone had a good result with synthetic oil?
brand?
additives?
oil cooler?

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Robert777 on February 19, 2018, 08:03:29 AM

brand?
additives?
oil cooler?
oh boy  :smilep: you asked for it  :hyst:
I myself like Mobile I ...  :potstir: 
:pop:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Robert777

Quote from: Pete_Vit on February 19, 2018, 08:08:25 AM
Quote from: Robert777 on February 19, 2018, 08:03:29 AM

brand?
additives?
oil cooler?
oh boy  :smilep: you asked for it  :hyst:
I myself like Mobile I ...  :potstir: 
:pop:

LOL...

I know, right?

"Double, double toil and trouble,
Fire burn and cauldron bubble."
From Macbeth

Was Mobil 1 an improvement in any way?

Hossamania

Any good synthetic will be an improvement over regular oil. Some seem more noisy than others. I find Amsoil a little noisy. Liqui-Moly has been talked about extensively here. I run Valvoline 20/50, it's cheap and works well enough for me.

hogpipes1

Quote from: Robert777 on February 16, 2018, 07:15:09 AM
Hello,
I have a 2000 XLH 1200 Sportster. 9500 miles
I got it July last year. It was sitting 5-6 years.
All fluids Changed, adjusted primary chain and drive belt. Carb cleaned, Air Filter cleaned. Clutch seems to operate normally to me.
I have a clacking noise that occurs ONLY when the engine is hot and ONLY when driving away from a dead stop and getting on the throttle aggressively or a very slow roll and getting on the throttle aggressively. If I get on the throttle slowly the noise does not occur. I tried it in 1st and 2nd gear.  Same noise.
I brought it to the dealer and the response went from "I don't know" to "sounds normal just give it more gas" to "All Evo Motors make that clacking noise".
As this is my first Harley and I am not new to motorcycles, the noise does not sound normal to me.
If it is normal, can someone tell me where this noise is coming from to allay my concerns.
thank you kindly
Robert
[/quote

With a hot motor  , as you say" If i get on the throttle SLOWLY the noise does NOT occur"]  Well i guess that's the  answer  and the way to do it off the line. Sure would work for me .. Oil cooler  won't hurt  for summer  but not really needed on a xl.. just keep the bike moving in the air.  I have one on  my winter  xl bike,  as AZ  temps hit 95 -100*  in april before i  leave for the summer.   Any 20 -50 syn  will do you good . Most all issues won't get a finger pointed at a  good clean oil. Good luck with your new ride.

koko3052

Robert777

thanks
I just figured out how to delete the inbox (new to this great site)