April 25, 2024, 08:43:14 AM

News:

About to change rear tire

Started by Panzer, March 10, 2018, 07:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

I've been sleeping on this situation for a period of time.
I'm about to change the rear tire on an 07, I have a HF lift that I can jack it high enough to remove the tire.

The problem that I see is when it's jacked up the bikes balance will be off and tip to the front.
What or how do I keep the bike from falling off the jack?
Tie it down? How and to what.
Hey, the bike is teeter tottering on the jack with both wheels as it is, let alone take off the rear.

Need some suggestions.
TIA
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

14Frisco

Tie it down and/or put something under the front wheel (e.g. milk crate).  The jack likely has some tie-off points - the Sears jacks do.  I normally tie mine down forward-wise (from front part of the frame to front part of the jack) but when the I take the ear wheel off, I strap it down rear-wise so it won't tip over forward.

Breeze

I put blocks/boards under the front tire on my '07.  I also don't lift real high,  but tilt the wheel to remove it. Use a Sharpie to mark left & right spacers, also arrow as to inside/outside. And a clothes pin between the brake pads to keep them from closing while wheel is off.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Panzer

A tip-O-the hat to you both, thx gents.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

I use my floor jack under the front tire.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Panzer

Quote from: Hossamania on March 11, 2018, 11:38:33 AM
I use my floor jack under the front tire.

Was thinking about that too Hoss.
Since my floor jack top swivels, it would allow the front wheel to swing..........no good.

14Frisco

Panzer