March 28, 2024, 12:02:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Grabbing clutch.

Started by ragboat, April 01, 2018, 03:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragboat

The following relates to a 2012 883 SuperLow.  The bike belongs to my wife.  When letting the clutch lever out the clutch grabs.  It is either engaged or disengaged, no feathering or smooth operation is possible.  It is nothing like the clutch on my old Softail.  This is a very low mileage bike.  Does anyone make a different actuator ramp that will allow a smoother engagement of the clutch? 
Dave

Hossamania

Has the clutch been serviced properly? New fluid, cable and plates adjusted, cable and handle pivot points lubed? What type of fluid in there now? (Double check on the cable lube, it may be teflon lined and not need lube.)
In "the old days" we used to put the front tire against a tree or wall, and gently slip the clutch a bit to bed them in and smooth out the engagement. Usually on new clutches, but on grabby clutches nonetheless.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

72fl

as Hoss said drain fluid and refill with a good oil may Redline or something along them lines and lube and readjust cable. If bike has been sitting a quite a while it is very possible the plates are sticking either take them out and clean them with a low flash solvent or try and hold the front brake or put front wheel against something and spin the back take a little and see if it helps, told a buddy once to try it on his Bourget and he thought I was crazy asked if i'd do it for him. SURE I'll be right there :baby: Worked great he was surprised.

ragboat

Thanks for the advice.  I'll give it a try.  The effort required to pull the clutch is considerably less than on my Softail but it grabs much quicker.  I guess I didn't really notice it until I noticed she had a bit of trouble with smooth takeoffs.  I had to agree with her when I tried it.  It really becomes challenging when bring the bike into the house. 
Dave