April 19, 2024, 12:37:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear wheel alignment and belt tension, 883R

Started by klammer76, June 13, 2018, 08:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

A friend of mine is helping out a friend of his. Put new tires on the guys bike for him. He wants to check alignment when going back together. Sounds like the bike has the adjusters with the threaded rod and nut. One was adjusted way more than the other. No service manual for his friends bike. I have always set the nuts even to start and adjusted from there on this type of adjuster then taken a measurement from center of swing arm axle to center of rear axle on my big twins. Again, no manual for a sporty so looking for a few answers

- Can someone advise what the deflection is for the sportster belt? Is it with rider on bike and 10 lbs like a big twin?

- Rear wheel axle nut torque?

Thanks,
klammer

Frédéric CM

Deflection is higher on 883R (taller suspensions) -> 9/16"-5/8", Nut torque at 95-105 ft-lbs

Fort rear Wheel alignment, I use a laser chain alignment (https://www.profi-products.de/en/profi-cat-laser/) i foudn that easier to use

klammer76

Quote from: Frédéric CM on June 14, 2018, 03:57:40 AM
Deflection is higher on 883R (taller suspensions) -> 9/16"-5/8", Nut torque at 95-105 ft-lbs

Fort rear Wheel alignment, I use a laser chain alignment (https://www.profi-products.de/en/profi-cat-laser/) i foudn that easier to use
Thank you. Is it done with rider on bike or just bike? Use the same 10# gage tool as with the baggers?

harley_cruiser

xlfan

Same 10 pound gauge yes. The swingarm has an alignment hole about 5-6 inches in front of rear axle on both sides.

klammer76

72fl

Take 2 nails and some packing tape, doesn't stretch much and put it in swingarm hole on each side and set it to center of axle each side, easiest way to check alignment. Or pay the shop $100 to do same friggin thing, I check belt tension sitting on the bike

guppymech

The holes in the sides of the swingarm are there for aligning the rear axle.  I use a length of straightened coat hanger with a 90 deg bend to go in the hole and a zip tie around the long leg of the hanger to index on the center of the axle.  Compare the axle location from side to side.  I think there's even a drawing in the tools section of the  FSM of this tool.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

neale

I use a welding rod with the end ground down so as it just fits into the holes in the swingarm sides, put a 90 degree bend in it where it goes into the hole.
I then have a small "0" ring that sits on the rod to mark a spot.
I'm pretty sure that this way of doing it came from the workshop manual I had for my 02 sporty.

Hossamania

Quote from: guppymech on June 18, 2018, 06:51:32 AM
The holes in the sides of the swingarm are there for aligning the rear axle.  I use a length of straightened coat hanger with a 90 deg bend to go in the hole and a zip tie around the long leg of the hanger to index on the center of the axle.  Compare the axle location from side to side.  I think there's even a drawing in the tools section of the  FSM of this tool.

This is the way I have aligned the rear wheel. Simple. Never trusted counting threads, that assumes the adjusters are welded perfectly side to side. Probably are, but the easy wire jig takes all manufacturing tolerances out of the equation, assures a square install. Start with the belt side to set tension, then I work back and forth as tension is checked.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.