March 28, 2024, 10:54:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lets see your Iron head

Started by nxcj, November 01, 2008, 04:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyajaz

ricochet

73 XLH done up with modern stuff.   2006 tins.  2008 39 mm front end, 60 spoke wheels, 1200 stroked engine, Dual plugged heads, Andrews gears.  Disk brakes fore and aft.  Ultima ignition and carb.

ricochet

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

ricochet

Not bad for a compilation of Ebay stuff.  No OEM stock machine was harmed in the making of this ride.

That's my disclaimer for the purist.

Still amazes me the amount of Ironhead stuff on Ebay that is clearly from several outfits parting out bikes.  Lately I see quite a bit of heavily oxidized parts.   I'm assuming from underwater salvage!

ricochet

Burnout

You can't sell a nice Ironhead for a profit.

You can double your money (or better) parting it out on Ebay.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

drifter

ricochet, your pipes reminded me of an experience when I was on my way to Laconia, NH. back around 1985.  I stopped in a parking lot in Manchester, NH. and a group of Harleys pulled in, one had pipes turned down like that and I could feel the ground shake every time it fired a cylinder at idle.  Impressive!

Burnout

Guys used to used goose neck pipes like that because a cop could not stick a baton in them to see if there were baffles.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

ricochet

I had some crafty work on the rear pipe to get it to fit and look the way I wanted it.   Because it's 2 in. OD it was interfering with the oil tank and/or the starter.  In order to make clearance a strategically placed dimple solved that problem but the pipe hung a bit low pointing at the ground.  I made protective sleaves out of PVC pipe backed up with steel and with the pipe secure in a vice used more PVC and pipe to bend it just a skosh. 

ricochet

50Panhead

What Do You Care What Other People Think

garyajaz

Birtyyy

Here's my ongoing project. 72 frame, 79 motor trying to convert it to kick & electric. I'm here to try and gain some knowledge and get it finished!

JW113

Looks like a fun project. So I see a starter hanging off of it, and also the kicker lever. What part of "trying" are you still trying to do?

cheers,
JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Birtyyy

Yes it all looks good on this side but the other side is just a big gaping hole where the primary should be.

Sent the bike into a shop to drill and rivet the ratchet plate on to the back of the clutch drum an re-assemble. They sent it back to me and claimed I need a longer mainshaft because it wouldn't bolt back up and line up with the front sprocket. Now I've found out I need a '78 or older clutch drum and it should bolt up fine. Once I find one and bolt it up I'll know for sure.

drifter

My next project.  1978 xlcr frame, Sputhe cases, 4.25 stroke, ex drag engine.  I found it at an estate sale, went to find tools etc., got carried away.

[attach=0]

JW113

OK, so my daughter is a budding photographer, and has just gotten a very nice new camera, so what the heck. Took some pics of my Sporty. Is a 1978 XLH that's been "bobbed".

[attach=0]
[attach=1] 
[attach=2]
[attach=3]

So the stats:

1978 XLH 1000
Front end from a 2000 FLSTF Fatboy
Custom fab rear fender mounted to swing arm
Custom fab front fender
Akront 3.5" x 16" wheels w/ Buchanan heavy duty stainless spokes
Entire bike is powder coated in black BK-12 polyester
Exhaust is ceramic coated silver
Heads ported and dual plugged by RE Engineering
S&S Hi-4N ignition
Dynatek four tower dual coil
Wiseco 10:1 pistons
Andrews R5 cams
Exhaust "pre-SE" off road HD pipes
Keihin CV-40 carburetor
Anti-Gravity Battery
V-Twin Alternator conversion

I have a Daytona Sensors WEGO AFR hooked up and have the carb dialed in dead nuts on. It runs, uh, very nice.
:SM:

-JW

twincamzz

Love this bike. The FAT front tire looks great on there !  :up:
not all who wander are lost...

Racepres

June 26, 2020, 06:20:34 AM #41 Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:44:31 AM by Racepres
My '77 after a Race a couple years ago..that is my Youngest, with a friend and BFB.. Yes he won his first Race on the Same Bike I won my First race on...

Hossamania

Racepres

BJB

I bought this from the daughter of the ling time St Paul MN dealer Howard Belmont. It was "pickled" by dealer mechanics. I saw it as an investment but may someday put it back on the road.

Hossamania

Now that's a beauty, Brian! Would love be to see it on the road, a hit wherever it goes. They were not loved when they came out, and now a pure classic.
Congratulations!

JW113

I sure second that! Very cool, always one of my favorite Sportsters. Funny how at the time, XLCR and XR1000 were the bastard step-children of the HD world, now they're like royalty. Indeed get that beaut on the road. Or sell it to me and I will.

:SM:

-JW

Buglet

Are does the original mufflers, they look like cherry bombs paint black. Those look a lot different that the originals ones I have here. Its a nice looking bike.

Hossamania

JW113

Eh, I don't know I think he's right. This is how I remember them, more of a "bullet nose" tip:

[attach=0]

-JW