March 28, 2024, 09:58:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Softail exhaust choice for stage II S&S 475 cams?

Started by Adam76, January 10, 2019, 05:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Hey guys,
Was very close to doing a big bore build on a 103 twin cam,  but ended up getting a ridiculous deal on a leftover 18  M8  Softail Slim....
I'm going with the S&S 475 cams and a really good tune but not sure what exhaust would best suit this combo?

Was thinking either 2-1 pro pipe / Bassani  or maybe just Rinehart slip ons or even one of the new Magnaflow legacy / comp mid length pipes.

Haven't been able to find much dyno related or tested info on M8 softail pipes so looking for some advice.   Prefer deep note and not obnoxiously loud.

Thanks in advance. 

BVHOG

2-1 Pro pipe I used fit well, sounded great and had a nice torque curve on an 18 softail I did last fall 114 with feuling 465
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Adam76

Quote from: BVHOG on January 10, 2019, 05:49:11 PM
2-1 Pro pipe I used fit well, sounded great and had a nice torque curve on an 18 softail I did last fall 114 with feuling 465
Thanks BVHOG (Bob?)
Do you think with a competition baffle it wood be more of a HP pipe? I'm looking for HP more so than TQ.
Cheers

IronButt70

Check out the D&D fatcat 2/1. I believe they are now available for the M8.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

HD/Wrench

Fat cat will produce a great curve on the Pro pipe for your build I would not use the Comp baffle you may have to drill a hole in the end of the standard baffle on pro pipe with that 475 to get the curve to lay out .

I did some testing for D&D on the softail pipe very nice . I am not sure if I can post it or not I would have to check with Rusty I would think I can but without checking not sure

BVHOG

Quote from: Adam76 on January 10, 2019, 06:04:31 PM
Thanks BVHOG (Bob?)
Do you think with a competition baffle it wood be more of a HP pipe? I'm looking for HP more so than TQ.
Cheers

Well, to put it mildly these ain't your old twin cams as far as exhaust is concerned and the one 475 S&S cam I tuned was the worst tuning bike I have had in the shop, bar none since I have owned a dyno. The guy had these crossover duals and had taken the baffles out. Not the cams fault as the bike ran strong after I got it sorted out.

Adam76

Quote from: BVHOG on January 11, 2019, 03:54:25 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on January 10, 2019, 06:04:31 PM
Thanks BVHOG (Bob?)
Cheers

Well, to put it mildly these ain't your old twin cams as far as exhaust is concerned and the one 475 S&S cam I tuned was the worst tuning bike I have had in the shop, bar none since I have owned a dyno. The guy had these crossover duals and had taken the baffles out. Not the cams fault as the bike ran strong after I got it sorted out.
👍👍  Thanks Bob....

HD/Wrench

So since the EX question has come up and Bob hit the nail on the head .. Here is a 107 475 cam from S&S with a decatted head pipe with rinehart mufflers vs a dd billet cat . I tuned the bike late last year the hole in the tq curve was just awful the system was not playing ball . Customer picked up a used billet cat for low dollars so i retuned it yesterday .   The first tune just kicked my butt , I swapped sensors thinking the data was wrong, then thought well its being tricked lets try to remove some fuel or add some  that was the very best I could do with that kit ( rinehart decatted)  in almost 7 hours  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

dynorunShare_0 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Hossamania

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on January 19, 2019, 07:55:58 AM
So since the EX question has come up and Bob hit the nail on the head .. Here is a 107 475 cam from S&S with a decatted head pipe with rinehart mufflers vs a dd billet cat . I tuned the bike late last year the hole in the tq curve was just awful the system was not playing ball . Customer picked up a used billet cat for low dollars so i retuned it yesterday .   The first tune just kicked my butt , I swapped sensors thinking the data was wrong, then thought well its being tricked lets try to remove some fuel or add some  that was the very best I could do with that kit ( rinehart decatted)  in almost 7 hours  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

dynorunShare_0 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

The new tune (blue) is the Billet Cat? Sure looks a lot nicer, obviously.  Easier to tune?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

HD/Wrench

Yes Blue is billet cat , its not about power just the curve an yes tuned right in with ease .. The other set not so much ha ha .

Nastytls

That's mind boggling! This must be why my 475 suck so bad down low.

To The Max

I also have a softail sportsglide that I put a 475 into and tuned myself. I couldn't find a pipe I liked so I modified the std muffler and not only did I achieve a nice rich deep sound it pulled like a train from about 1800 rpm. I have now installed 117 cp 10.8  pistons a 6th base gasket and 30th head gasket and its electric. havn't put it on a dyno YET but when I do I will post it. im very happy and can highly recommend that cam. Max

BVHOG

Both Rinehart and S&S released new 2-1 pipes for the softails this week.

WillODC

anyone has installed S&S 475 cam on the new 114" touring with the D&D billet cat pipe ?
I would like to find a good power vison map to start with, yes here few dyno and even less good dyno guys ahahah.
Anyway, i still have 2 cam on my hands to decide wich one to use, RS468 and S&S 475, any advices ??

Thank you in advance

Hardcase61

Quote from: WillODC on January 29, 2019, 06:03:34 AM
anyone has installed S&S 475 cam on the new 114" touring with the D&D billet cat pipe ?
I would like to find a good power vison map to start with, yes here few dyno and even less good dyno guys ahahah.
Anyway, i still have 2 cam on my hands to decide wich one to use, RS468 and S&S 475, any advices ??

Thank you in advance

I can't answer your cam question but perhaps i can offer a suggestion for your lack of good dyno tuners in your area, since already have dynojet powervison you could add the target tune kit with wideband sensors to tune the bike

http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/powervision-products-details.aspx?mdlid=6561&mdl=2018&yrid=20&yr=Harley-Davidson&mkid=313&mkn=Touring%20Models&pId=2740&pnum=TT-5

To The Max

Thank you in advance
Just put the 475 cam into 114 cvo with de-cated head pipe and street cannons. I recommended the woods 22x first and then the 468 . at first the owner and I where very unhappy it was very lumpy but it tuned up very well and the owner is very happy with the idle and the performance. I have a 475 in my softail and I don't mind the aggressive idle but my friend has the woods 22x because it wanted a less aggressive idle and a little more torque. I picked up a tune from fuel moto ( I buy from them ) and it was very good out of the box. good luck with your choice Max

To The Max

Thank you in advance

randyman

I just did the S and S 475 cam with their cam plate, oil pump premium lifters, Cuffs and quickee pushrods.  Pro Pipe with Fuel Moto Power Vision Canned tune.  Fuel Moto AC/DC air cleaner.  Bike is a 2017 Ultra Limited.  Due to all the snow haven't rode it yet but it definitely has good sound.