March 28, 2024, 04:29:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary locking tool

Started by Tracker1, December 06, 2018, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1canvas

I was looking for a primary locking tool and seen the Jim's for 50.00 and a lot of cheaper ones, does it matter?
2001 Road King

chaos901

As per the above link, the length is important and it is not a one size fits all kind of thing.  One size will fit several but you got decades of different models. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

djl

I made one out of an old lawn mower blade. :wink:

1canvas

I made a bar out of a piece of 1/2" cutting board plastic and I just snapped.
2001 Road King

FXDBI

Made my own with a piece of stainless flat bar stays in my tool box thanks to this site
and the drawing.  Bob

Hossamania

Quote from: Tracker1 on December 06, 2018, 12:16:51 PM
I made a bar out of a piece of 1/2" cutting board plastic and I just snapped.

Yeah, plastic is a little overwhelmed by over 100 pounds of torque on steel gears!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

1canvas

I seen a video on You Tube of a guy that says his was made out of wood.
2001 Road King

Coyote

Quote from: Tracker1 on December 06, 2018, 01:15:14 PM

Like plastic, it's a good way to get hurt. Make or buy a metal one and be done with it. And don't use the stair step one.

1canvas

Quote from: Coyote on December 06, 2018, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: Tracker1 on December 06, 2018, 01:15:14 PM

Like plastic, it's a good way to get hurt. Make or buy a metal one and be done with it. And don't use the stair step one.

What's the issue with the stair step one?
2001 Road King

1canvas

I just ordered a Jim's bar, I wasn't hot on that step block. Years ago I used a bar.
2001 Road King

Chippitt68

I made mine from ash. Straight grain, 1/2" thick, 2" wide. I've used it several times, no trouble. 175#'s on comp nut.

Coyote

Quote from: 1canvas on December 06, 2018, 03:10:48 PM
I just ordered a Jim's bar, I wasn't hot on that step block. Years ago I used a bar.

So you paid $50 instead of $15.   :idunno:

Pirsch Fire Wagon

You can get 3/16" Stock Bar from Lowes for $5 and make all four https://www.dropbox.com/s/e20tv0vz0i4yut7/Primary%20Locking%20Bars.jpg?dl=0
Tom

92flhtcu

I would also like to know the "why not" of using the "step" style?? is it stressing anything/stretching the chain?
Just want to know
Thanks
Need a bigger garage

FSG

steps were used for years with no problems then .......

I forget the year, lets say 2006, they changed the locating of the inner primary on the engine case and trannie,

off the cuff the did away with some of the locating dowels AND if the Squirrel Steps were used it caused the inner to rotate slightly and break the seal it had, other cracking damage was likely as well

safest thing to do was just use a locking bar

92flhtcu

FSG, thanks, I've been using one for years on Evo's and lately, my 2004 Flh.
I've had the drawing of the bar style off of here for years of two different ones, just never made either of them, and now I see there is another
Need a bigger garage

76shuvlinoff

For my 12 EG I just cut a piece of aluminum flat (1.5" x 1/4") down until it fit.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Moparnut72

I was just going to comment on this but you beat me to it. When I worked in the aircraft shop we had to lock gears all the time to undo locking nuts etc. If I had ever used a piece of steel I would have caught holy hell. Aluminum only! Chipping a sprocket with steel is a real possibility.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

rbabos

Quote from: 92flhtcu on December 06, 2018, 04:08:05 PM
I would also like to know the "why not" of using the "step" style?? is it stressing anything/stretching the chain?
Just want to know
Thanks
On the late models the engine sprocket it larger dia. Steps might not match up correctly. Personally, I think the step is a cave man method, slightly better then shoving an old screwdriver handle in there. Now that's hard on the chain. Locking bar a larger surface of the chain to take the loads.
Ron

kd

:agree:  .... and I expect it's not to friendly on the sprocket shaft that is being forced of it''s axis from one location.  With the bar you share (spread out) the load on the chain and between the 2 sprockets and shafts.
KD

14Frisco

Quote from: FSG on December 06, 2018, 04:50:59 PM
steps were used for years with no problems then .......

I forget the year, lets say 2006, they changed the locating of the inner primary on the engine case and trannie,

off the cuff the did away with some of the locating dowels AND if the Squirrel Steps were used it caused the inner to rotate slightly and break the seal it had, other cracking damage was likely as well

safest thing to do was just use a locking bar

Yes, see TT212 in Tech Tips (that you posted before)

FSG

Quote from: 14Frisco on December 06, 2018, 07:58:47 PM
Yes, see TT212 in Tech Tips (that you posted before)

Yes, I'm away from home and my library so just going on memory (without looking too far on HTT),

CRAFT is slowly setting in but I'll eventually remember the tune  🎶 

Maddo Snr

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 06, 2018, 06:19:43 PM
For my 12 EG I just cut a piece of aluminum flat (1.5" x 1/4") down until it fit.

Any metal softer than the drive parts will do. Mine's 2" x 1/4" Mild steel.
$50 USD is outrageous!
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

hbkeith

I always used the step one , this makes me want to make some up at work ,  wandering why the 2" x 1/2" notch in FSG drawing ?